GDT: UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Maybe, I have a friend who cut 30lbs in 3 days, not the smartest guy and not exactly a natural athlete, and he did fine in his first professional bout. All depends on the person. And from watching Punk interviews, I think he's too smart to overlook the weight cut, I'm willing to bet he's just working the media (he may still be slow and sluggish, but I doubt it will be from the weight cut :laugh: )

That's what I think as well. He has a smart team around him so even if he's dumb and has no clue what he's doing (I don't think that's the case), there's people there who would make sure his weight is on point leading up to the fight. It still could be a tough cut towards the end here but I doubt it's because they weren't prepared.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
It's not creative, but Punk is such a friggin' punk. It's just the perfect word to describe him. Always has rubbed me the wrong way. I have absolutely no problem with him leveraging his WWE stardom to fight, brings eyes to the sport which is always a good thing. But he's such a smug, arrogant, condescending, pompous individual I really hope Gall retires him. Gall deliberately reached out to shake Punk's hand, Punk waited a second before obliging, then he mean mugs him the whole time.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
It's not creative, but Punk is such a friggin' punk. It's just the perfect word to describe him. Always has rubbed me the wrong way. I have absolutely no problem with him leveraging his WWE stardom to fight, brings eyes to the sport which is always a good thing. But he's such a smug, arrogant, condescending, pompous individual I really hope Gall retires him. Gall deliberately reached out to shake Punk's hand, Punk waited a second before obliging, then he mean mugs him the whole time.

Wait, why? I don't follow WWE but he seems nice and humble.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Depends on your perception of him. With his departure from WWE, while there's a lot of people who understand and sympathies with his position, he still came off rather bitter (that might happen when you get fired on your wedding day) and even entitled to some. He's a big personality, that's not always popular. Although from what I've heard, he hasn't quite delivered in the build up compared to what was expected. Very recently, it seems like he's trying to lower the bar with regard to his expectations. I hope he does well, I was a huge fan of the guy even though I've gotten over the circumstances with his departure.

From the standpoint of UFC though, it's doing it's job in that I'm interested in how he fares, and might find an opportunity to tune in.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Punk weighed in at 170 and it didn't look unhealthy either. Seems like the weight cut wasn't bad at all.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
That lying snake. Pretty impressive that he did it all by himself (allegedly).

Are you talking about punk ?
on the UFC embeded ... he appears in an appartment ... like low pay in a northern US city. That is a change with all other fighters who are at home in the south in nice houses ... luxury environment ... .
Then the UFC fighters are always surounded by 15 trainers and coaches and ... while he is desperately alone.

So if what i see in the embeded blog on youtube coresponds to the reality, respect for Punk. And i do think he may be a bit pompuous, but he seems to be a smart and respectable guy. Who is unsecure about how to talk in front of his challenge to fight for real.

I hope Punk will win.
same for The Reem, Happa and Eye.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Low pay? He has a bomb ass place in Chicago, watch the latest episode. Dude is richer than all of the UFC fighters.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
As I said in the wrestling thread, he's a carny, a worker, a hustler. He tells you what he wants you to hear and shows you what he wants you to see.

He may not win tomorrow night, but I don't think he's going to be outmaneuvered when it comes to pre-fight psychology.

He's been pretty mellow and respectful in his time with UFC, accepting his place as a newcomer and drinking it all in. Because of the weird nature of wrestling and it's fans, he had a tendency to be a pretty big dick to a lot of people during his WWE career as a defensive and political mechanism. And he could do that because he was one of the best.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
McCall can't catch a break. Borg pulled out with an illness so that fight is off.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
It's not really a WWE thing for me, just never liked the guy. He's always struck me as extremely pompous, thinking he's better than everyone, and also having a huge chip on his shoulder. He seems to be a know-it-all disrespectful smartass. In terms examples, at the presser he said if people's dreams aren't as big as his he feels sorry for them (that's a very condescending, I'm better than you remark), on the Countdown show he called the two guys Gall fought tomato cans (very disrespectful considering you've never set foot in the cage), at the staredown today Gall reached out to shake Punk's hand and Punk just stood there mean-mugging him. Then when Punk was interviewed in the back and asked what Gall said to him Punk just sorta smirked with that smartass grin of his and said I don't even know, he was just mumbling some nonsense. I get building a fight, creating tension, etc., but the guy is a punk, plain and simple.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Low pay? He has a bomb ass place in Chicago, watch the latest episode. Dude is richer than all of the UFC fighters.

lol - no kidding.. money definitely doesn't seem to be an issue for him.

Overall: I think Gall submits him rather easily but, for Punk's sake I hope he makes it a good fight otherwise he's viewed as a silly publicity stunt.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Why is soccer on the channel that is suppose to show the prelims!! Ffs...

Edit: fight network is showing them until the soccer is over

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Had the card been even remotely good I would have made the drive up from Columbus... but, outside of the main event this has the makings of a snoozefest.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
coreia by split decision ... how come ? i had eye with striking advantages ... in number of landed shots ...

does someone has an explanation ?

I had it a draw. First round Eye, second even, third Corriea. So not surprised with either getting the win.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
coreia by split decision ... how come ? i had eye with striking advantages ... in number of landed shots ...

Apparently from Correia... significant strikes, controlling the Octogon.

I really don't have a problem with the decision, Eye should have did more.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

Correia landed the better shots. If the volume is close, im okay with giving it to the one landing cleaner even if he/she lands a little bit less

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad