GDT: UFC 194: Rockhold vs. Weidman; McGregor vs. Aldo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
Looks just like Ronda when she got kicked in the head:

CVtlhJKU4AATeUq.jpg

CWFcj-MWwAAbvHw.jpg.637fe9fcdd2ba63bf093b586ad7dcde5.jpg

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
People have been anticipating Aldo vs. McGregor for over a year, you don't think the re-match would draw more fans than McGregor vs. Edger or someone else? Funny enough, once Holm knocks out Rousey again, UFC might have to re-think their strategy.

But that was also the Aldo with the mystique of the champ who hasn't been beaten in forever...now this is Aldo who ran into a K.O. punch in a matter of seconds and was crying about it.

I honestly think that McGregor is the main draw here and Edgar vs McGregor is the best fight in the division that hasn't happened yet.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
But that was also the Aldo with the mystique of the champ who hasn't been beaten in forever...now this is Aldo who ran into a K.O. punch in a matter of seconds and was crying about it.

I honestly think that McGregor is the main draw here and Edgar vs McGregor is the best fight in the division that hasn't happened yet.

And while I understand your point about Rousey, that's basically the exact definition of Rousey, except Rousey never fought anyone and was never tested.

I totally get where you're coming from, but we've seen so many immediate re-matches (Werdum/Velasquez) for example that could've been done differently. IMO I believe Aldo deserves an immediate re-match more than anyone. 10 years as a champ needs to generate more respect, especially with how it ended. People see the writing on the wall with Rousey, she's more concerned with being in entertainment, than fighting at this point. She got away with it before she fought an actual opponent.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I don't get people saying McGregor dominated Aldo, he caught him with a punch, it happens. It's not like he dummied him for 3 rounds and finally put him out of his misery.

The champs losing could be the best things at this point. If this loss causes Aldo to become that savage that was desperate to win the championship during his WEC days we are in for a treat. I also think this could be a massive growing opportunity for Weidman.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was insane. Wow.

What a left by Conor. Holy ****. Picked Conor to win that fight but I figured it would be by KO/TKO in round 3 or 4. Still would have liked to see it go longer but that's MMA for you. I'm a big fan of both guys so on one hand I'm happy but I also feel for Aldo. Conor has backed up every word he has said.

In a world where Cain and Ronda are getting immediate rematches, Aldo can certainly make a case for one as well. Would be crazy to see that take place in a stadium in Ireland. Frankie has earned a shot too though so I don't think they can go wrong either way. Who knows, maybe neither one of them fight at 145 again because of the weight cuts.

The co-main event was equally crazy. I had it 19-19 after two rounds and thought Weidman was in control prior to that wheel kick. It looked like Rockhold was fading in that round while Weidman looked fresh. Rockhold put a beating on him and left no doubt but that kick attempt seriously might have cost Weidman the title. Either way, big props to Rockhold. Everyone figured the Jacare/Romero winner would get the next shot but Rockhold said he wants Vitor. I guess we'll see what happens there.

Jacare vs Romero didn't live up to the hype for me. It was a close fight but neither guy really stood out. I have no idea why Jacare wouldn't throw anything in the last few minutes of the 2nd round when it was clear Romero was tired. If he pushed the pace a bit there and landed shots, he probably wins the fight. Romero is a great fighter but I hate how often he tries to cheat.

Complete dominance by Maia. I picked Gunnar to win that fight and he got outclassed. Maia showed why he's one of the best on the ground.

Holloway vs Stephens is another fight that didn't really deliver for me. I was expecting so much more from those guys. Better fighter won though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Ummmm so I guess nevermind about that rematch unless this is just Conor and his team trying to get more money to do it. So Aldo vs Frankie for the vacant title?

Oh man. Conor vs Cerrone would be amazing.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This presser is great. Conor all alone at the podium like he's running ****.

He says he wants to hold both belts but that doesn't seem like something the UFC would go for.

Didn't see Weidman getting beaten.

Aldo had 1 job to do. Now Connor fanboys will be out of control.

What a day.

It's a good day.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This presser is great. Conor all alone at the podium like he's running ****.

He says he wants to hold both belts but that doesn't seem like something the UFC would go for.

It's a good day.

Nah it's a horrible day.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
So do the Conor haters think he needs to fight Frankie now to be legit, or has he officially backed up his talk and can move up to 155 if so inclined?

Well he hasn't even defended his title yet. So he probably should defend his title at least once before getting an automatic title shot at 155. Frankie really is a nightmare match up for Conor.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Well he hasn't even defended his title yet. So he probably should defend his title at least once before getting an automatic title shot at 155. Frankie really is a nightmare match up for Conor.
To be fair (and I am hardly a Conor fanboy)..they said that about Aldo too.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Love Conor, haha. He's too great.

And, yea, didn't see the Chris losing. Bummed about that, but I like Luke at least.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
There's a lot of people saying the translator was kind of off with his translations. For one, Aldo never said the "that wasn't a fight" line.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Aldo
Rockhold
Jacare
Nelson
Holloway
Two out of five, glad i didn't put any money on the line.

Aldo - Wrong. Looks like i seriously underestimated McGregor's power. Jose doesn't have a bad chin but he got one punched. Not much else to say really.

Rockhold - Right. He was just too big and powerful for Weidman. He looked like he might be gassing early (maybe the 2nd round?) but didn't. Big power in his kicks, slick BJJ and nasty ground and pound.

Jacare - Wrong. I legitimately thought Jacare would handle Romero pretty comfortably. I thought his striking would force a takedown attempt and then on the ground he would outclass Romero. Romero has that animalistic power and explosiveness where Jacare couldn't really tie him up on the ground until late and there wasn't much of a difference on the feet, save the knockdown. At 38 years old i don't really think Romero "should" have that kind of athleticism but innocent until proven. Rockhold will demolish him.

Nelson - Wrong again. We knew Nelson is a very good grappler while Maia is an artist but wow. Shocking how impotent Nelson's takedown defense was and how he could do nothing but endure on the ground. Opened my eyes how truly great Maia is at his craft.

Holloway - Consolation right. Not much of a consolation as it was pretty much a consensus pick. Neither fighter looked great imo. Time to slow down the hypetrain for Holloway a bit.

Stars of the week:

1)McGregor. Lol, this is going to be so much fun to watch.
2)Rockhold. He's gonna be hard to take that belt from.
3)Edgar. Depending on what Conor does he'll get a shot and poses a legit challenge. If conor goes up he'll take the vacant belt vs. Holloway. (Aldo retires)
4)Ferguson. Stud, fun to watch.
5)Namajunas.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
That's a ******** coward move if after that fight, Conner heads up to 155 for good.

He didn't clean out the division, he started an unstoppable hype train that brought him the gold far quicker than he deserved it. At 45, he beat
Brimage (who is garbage)
Holloway by UD (Holloway/McGregor rematch would be a great fight style-wise)
Brandao (who is pretty garbage)
Poirier (who is a good fighter)
Siver (gatekeeper/veteran, pretty garbage, no longer ranked)
Mendes on crazy short notice.

I have faith that he's a great fighter and that he'll improve, but a one punch KO doesn't impress me in the slightest. I'm not blaming him for the win, it's a results business. I just don't quite understand the hype outside of his personality.

I'll also admit, I think it looks bad on the company to have him so buddy-buddy with Dana. I think the same about Rousey, and you can feel it with Paige as well - Dana needs to be a ****ing professional and treat them like employees. I don't care how much more money they make for you, it looks wrong and it feels gross.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad