GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I find it hard to believe given all the reporting around the #4 pick that they would have pivoted to Necas for Laine. It just doesn't make sense. I think there is a chance that Carolina might have interest in Laine depending on how some other things go, but it seems the cost would be much cheaper than Necas. Or it would have a lot more parts involved if Necas is in there. Seems like a bad rumor and/or shoddy reporting.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There’s nothing in that article other than referencing old rumors, nothing new and nothing substantiated that we’ve ever had a talk with them about Laine. This summer or any other. There’s a lot of smoke about Necas at the draft, nothing since.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep, and there was also talk about Columbus (among other teams) having interest in KK around that time, which there's been no movement on since. I'd have to think that if there were going to be any deal involving Laine it would be more along those lines, and AP just crossed the streams on the rumors.

The reported return that did come out for Necas was based around the #4 pick, and that got nuked because Necas wasn't about to sign long-term in Columbus. Now is it possible that there was a larger deal in play there (Necas + KK for Laine + #4)? Maybe. But all that's come public around Necas was around the #4, not around Laine at all.

Last edited:

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
I was bored. I watched a bunch of highlights this weekend of Canes top plays and goals of 2023-24, and Necas was a BIG part of a majority of them. This team absolutely has to find someone similar if he gets traded. I've been on the side of getting rid of him because of him "disgruntled" and "ready for a change", but damn he's dynamic when he wants to be and that'll be tough to replace. With the loss of scoring from TT/Noesen and possibly Necas? I'm glad I'm not the GM.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I was bored. I watched a bunch of highlights this weekend of Canes top plays and goals of 2023-24, and Necas was a BIG part of a majority of them. This team absolutely has to find someone similar if he gets traded. I've been on the side of getting rid of him because of him "disgruntled" and "ready for a change", but damn he's dynamic when he wants to be and that'll be tough to replace. With the loss of scoring from TT/Noesen and possibly Necas? I'm glad I'm not the GM.

IMO our second PP disappears without Necas. It was mostly successful due to him being one of the few players able to carry the puck in consistently.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
IMO our second PP disappears without Necas. It was mostly successful due to him being one of the few players able to carry the puck in consistently.
The numbers don't really back that up though. He had the lowest GF/60 of any Canes regular forward player on the PP. And only KK had a worse xGF/60 than Necas.

Granted the 2nd PP unit is often getting time late in a PP so the opportunities aren't as great for that unit.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
The rumor mills are dead.

I wonder what team is even looking to ship out a top 6 fwd right now.

Also any juicy boys for an offer sheet?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
IMG_4963.png

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Just player for player, in a vacuum, it's fine. Might even make sense as a change of scenery for two good players. But I just can't see the contract working out. And we don't seem to be heading into year where we could roll the dice on a single year of Marner. Maybe we could dump Koko and get the Leafs to add something else but I have a difficult time seeing it work.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Hard to imagine Canes absorbing next year's cap hit let alone his expected contract needs.
Can’t see it because I doubt they go above Aho’s current deal he seemed to have set the bar and I think there’s only a few guys who they would give more money to but don’t see marner as one of them

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Just player for player, in a vacuum, it's fine. Might even make sense as a change of scenery for two good players. But I just can't see the contract working out. And we don't seem to be heading into year where we could roll the dice on a single year of Marner. Maybe we could dump Koko and get the Leafs to add something else but I have a difficult time seeing it work.
We have too much depth to afford Marner, that's a contract on a top-heavy team or rebuilding team with lots of ELC/RFA players

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I'd honestly love Marner here, I think he could succeed in our smaller market.

But I have a hard time seeing him accept a contract this FO would offer him or Toronto even accepting that trade.

Keller seems less likely given his cost controlled contract and the fact that Utah probably won't let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad