GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Ehlers is three years older than Necas, is more of a perimeter player and less of a playoff performer than Necas, serious injury concerns, a year from UFA.

Don’t see any way they’re dealt for each other unless it’s a huge add from WPG. We would be downgrading our top 6 while also being left with another hole to fill.
my sense is mgmt. recognizes the need for a scoring winger and Necas is the most likely player to be swapped for Ehlers. agree its not a 1 for 1 trade. i still question the logic of not resigning Guentzel if the team is now pursuing a Guentzel-light player such as Ehlers. I did not buy into the Guentzel didn't want to play here narrative, but that is old news at this point.

team just has to be competitive this season. lots of potential cap space available next offseason.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
my sense is mgmt. recognizes the need for a scoring winger and Necas is the most likely player to be swapped for Ehlers. agree its not a 1 for 1 trade. i still question the logic of not resigning Guentzel if the team is now pursuing a Guentzel-light player such as Ehlers. I did not buy into the Guentzel didn't want to play here narrative, but that is old news at this point.

team just has to be competitive this season. lots of potential cap space available next offseason.
We actively tried to re-sign Guentzel. For what seem to be partially for his own reasons, partially because we genuinely got too cute and f***ed up the negotiation, he signed elsewhere.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I don’t see how there’s any supposedly about it. If you’re not technically allowed to discuss deals with other teams until noon on Monday and reporters already know how much money and for how many years you’re going to sign for on Saturday night, there’s only so many conclusions one can draw
You can see the Tamper that happened to the Canes with the Devils and Tampa, maybe Nashville even.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
If a trade based on a Necas-Ehlers swap is how this saga ends I'd be disappointed, and honestly pretty surprised. I've been an Ehlers fan since his draft year, but that's the type of move that runs very counter to how this front office has operated the past 6 years.

This front office (sometimes to its own detriment) has shown they are very willing to be patient and not fall trap to the reactionary move that most other teams can't resist. Moving Necas for Ehlers just to get the deal done now feels like it would be selling low on a valuable young asset. This is a situation where I really think patience will be rewarded.

Then signing Ehlers to a long-term deal at age 29 with an AAV in the 7s? It took them weeks of negotiating to finally relent on 8x8 for Guentzel, I find it hard to believe they'd be willing to lock down Ehlers at just 500k or so less. I'd honestly rather give that contract to Necas and try to mend the fences there.

The caveat to all of this is if the situation has truly become untenable and Necas and his agent are absolutely refusing to play out next year on a 1-year deal. I don't think we've had any indication things are that bad, but obviously Necas has made his desire known.

If that is the case however, I'd be calling up Buffalo and trying to re-kindle those talks for something based around Peterka or Quinn. With how dragged Adams has been for their offseason so far he might be a bit desperate for some good news, and both of those players are better long-term options than Ehlers as young, cost-controlled players.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If a trade based on a Necas-Ehlers swap is how this saga ends I'd be disappointed, and honestly pretty surprised. I've been an Ehlers fan since his draft year, but that's the type of move that runs very counter to how this front office has operated the past 6 years.

This front office (sometimes to its own detriment) has shown they are very willing to be patient and not fall trap to the reactionary move that most other teams can't resist. Moving Necas for Ehlers just to get the deal done now feels like it would be selling low on a valuable young asset. This is a situation where I really think patience will be rewarded.

Then signing Ehlers to a long-term deal at age 29 with an AAV in the 7s? It took them weeks of negotiating to finally relent on 8x8 for Guentzel, I find it hard to believe they'd be willing to lock down Ehlers at just 500k or so less. I'd honestly rather give that contract to Necas and try to mend the fences there.

The caveat to all of this is if the situation has truly become untenable and Necas and his agent are absolutely refusing to play out next year on a 1-year deal. I don't think we've had any indication things are that bad, but obviously Necas has made his desire known.

If that is the case however, I'd be calling up Buffalo and trying to re-kindle those talks for something based around Peterka or Quinn. With how dragged Adams has been for their offseason so far he might be a bit desperate for some good news, and both of those players are better long-term options than Ehlers as young, cost-controlled players.

That’s why we include the McGroarty of it all in the conversation. Ehlers for Necas just to solve our “distressed asset” situation would indeed be anti-MO of the Borg. But Ehlers+McGroarty for Necas++ solves the “distressed asset” situation for both teams and potentially involves a cool valuable piece to the Canes.

Not to mention I think bleed said it earlier - Ehlers is who we want Necas to be. It’s trading a few years of age for more of a sure thing. That may be anti-pattern to the typical approach but isn’t a bad thing in a vacuum.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
That’s why we include the McGroarty of it all in the conversation. Ehlers for Necas just to solve our “distressed asset” situation would indeed be anti-MO of the Borg. But Ehlers+McGroarty for Necas++ solves the “distressed asset” situation for both teams and potentially involves a cool valuable piece to the Canes.

Not to mention I think bleed said it earlier - Ehlers is who we want Necas to be. It’s trading a few years of age for more of a sure thing. That may be anti-pattern to the typical approach but isn’t a bad thing in a vacuum.
I hear ya on the value part, and I agree there'd be other pieces to make it work. But if McGroarty is the piece that makes the difference I'd say just trade the ++ assets for McGroarty straight up and remain patient on the Necas front. I'd be cool with that add.

Like I said, I like Ehlers as a player too. He definitely has some more refinement in some of the areas where Necas can be frustrating. But I don't think he's the best profile for the player we need at the moment, largely due to not being able to separate the player from the contract he'd require and how old he'll be for those seasons.

If we go into the season with Necas after arbitration and let his market reset, I think we will see hockey trade options open up that are better long-term fits than Ehlers.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm going to guess that an Ehlers trade will end up looking somewhat like Kuznetsov + Drury + picks. Apparently Isles are currently offering Pageau + picks/prospects. It likely won't require a Necas to complete unless the Jets are going to add a piece like Lambert, McGroarty, or a high pick to make a swap worthwhile.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 124135.png

Screenshot 2024-07-06 124216.png

(If KK has a rebound year, just swap Roslovic with him)

Last edited:
Reactions: chaz4hockey

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I agree with all this except the Buffalo part. I’d be surprised if Buffalo ever really entertained a Peterka or Quinn conversation at all, backwards for what they’re trying to do.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I agree with all this except the Buffalo part. I’d be surprised if Buffalo ever really entertained a Peterka or Quinn conversation at all, backwards for what they’re trying to do.

They 100% would never trade Peterka. That's unrealistic. Jack Quinn is more of a question mark, however, because of some really catastrophic injuries.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Could very well be the case that Savoie was the player they were trying to move all along. Obviously that particular ship has sailed, and was likely dead on draft night once we got past the 1st round without a deal.

Reactions: DaveG

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
IMO they need to remedy the situation with Necas. He has too much raw skill and I think it is still going to click for him.
I disagree. Necas has been around this team long enough to know the system well, and it flat out doesn't play to his strengths. He's a high risk high reward player. He needs a freedom that he will never have here. It's kind of a shame that there isn't enough flexibility here to put him to his best use, but it is what it is. Time to move on.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Could very well be the case that Savoie was the player they were trying to move all along. Obviously that particular ship has sailed, and was likely dead on draft night once we got past the 1st round without a deal.
Yeah, Savoie is different animal than Peterka or Quinn. Those two are developed prospects who have proven themselves and made the team. Savioe is still in juniors and hasn’t done a thing yet other than be good in junior. He’s also a very similar player to Benson, only Benson is much better at it.

People think Adams was nuts for giving up a prospect like that but I think there was a reason Savoie was the thing they gave up. I wouldn’t think it’s open season on Buffalo’s prospects and young players.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad