GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Decent enough player as long as he's slotting in on the 3rd line. Hopefully the number comes in under $3m.

I do wonder where Fast's health is at this point, doesn't seem like he's even close to playing condition. Hope he can get himself healed for the long-term.
Fast is a big question coming, he was still in the neck brace at the end of the season interviews

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No doubt he’s a better defensive player.

I’ve been saying for a lot of years on here — the only time a winger’s own-zone defense really moves the needle is a Jarvis situation where he’s an important part of the PK. Otherwise, it’s an extremely marginal factor in winning hockey games. This is even more the case in modern defensive systems where a lot of the shot blocking comes from multi-layered defense where the winger is just a traffic cone forcing the opponent to shoot into a defenseman’s shin pads.

What you need defensively from a winger is offensive zone pressure, turnovers on the forecheck. Skinner was and is a puck hound, if a little sloppy with his stick (like Svech). And the chaos he created led to goals, a lot of goals.

Defense really does matter at the C position. I’d be quite happy with Kuzy in a bottom 6 role where he could contribute defensively and we could gamble on him finding his offensive upside. Basically the Jordan Staal, Jesperi Kotkaniemi model. But as currently constructed, we can’t do that… one of those three guys has to go into the top 6. That’s my issue with Kuzy, he’s way overslotted and now we aren’t just gambling on his offensive upside, we’re depending on it.

Thank you for such a nuanced explanation of the situation.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
I’m actually a bit confused what they are doing…. Creating org depth and depth at Chicago if these signings don’t work, I guess.. setting up a training camp competition and having control and leverage to dump players to the minors with no cap penalty if they come in and can’t play our system?

I don’t see a lineup unless we are playing a lot of 3rd lines since we don’t have a locked in first and second line yet?

There has to be some trades coming and this is not the fully baked cake yet….

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Roslovic replaces Teravainen for me.
Jarvis is, and has been TT’s replacement.

Roslovic is something else, he’s got quite a bit of ground to make up to be a one for one Turbo replacement IMO.

As far as the fwd group it’s a bit of an odd bag right now. Too much 3rd line.

Have a feeling they’re working on a trade or two. Team construction overall feels weird right now. Even the defense which seems basically set doesn’t feel like a RBA team. Feels like a Tulsky team, which is and could be fine, but it’s still an RBA coached team.

Pesce, despite seemingly loosing about half a step last season is still one of the best in the league at defending the rush and shutting down passing lanes. That part of his game is going to be sorely missed, like it was in the playoffs. Not sure if Ghost and Walker are going to be able to fill that void. Maybe they’re banking on Chatfield taking another step. Sjkei and Pesce did a lot of heavy lifting on the defensive side of things. It’s going to interesting to see who picks up the bulk of their minutes.

Still need a whole ass second line. Those penciling Drury into that #2C slot are doing some serious grasping. Dude is a 3rd liner at best.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Jarvis is, and has been TT’s replacement.

Roslovic is something else, he’s got quite a bit of ground to make up to be a one for one Turbo replacement IMO.

As far as the fwd group it’s a bit of an odd bag right now. Too much 3rd line.

Have a feeling they’re working on a trade or two. Team construction overall feels weird right now. Even the defense which seems basically set doesn’t feel like a RBA team. Feels like a Tulsky team, which is and could be fine, but it’s still an RBA coached team.

Pesce, despite seemingly loosing about half a step last season is still one of the best in the league at defending the rush and shutting down passing lanes. That part of his game is going to be sorely missed, like it was in the playoffs. Not sure if Ghost and Walker are going to be able to fill that void. Maybe they’re banking on Chatfield taking another step. Sjkei and Pesce did a lot of heavy lifting on the defensive side of things. It’s going to interesting to see who picks up the bulk of their minutes.

Still need a whole ass second line. Those penciling Drury into that #2C slot are doing some serious grasping. Dude is a 3rd liner at best.
Very odd bag of forwards right now I agree. Also agree that Drury is at the very best a 3rd/4th line centre. But Rod loves him it seems, so who knows where he gets penciled into Rods lineup.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Now subtract martin’s salary and we get 14.48 which is what I have been saying along.

So again subtract 2 more forwards and we have 16 million with 10 forwards, 6 defenders and 2 goalie2.
Good catch; forgot about Martin.
Not sure if Ghost and Walker are going to be able to fill that void.
I think we're all going to be presently surprised at how good Walker is defensively.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
How we started last year

Turbo-Aho-Jarvis
Svech-Kk-necas
Marty-staal-fast
Noesen-drury-bunting

Now we have

Svech-Aho-Jarvis
Roslovic-Kuzy-Necas
Marty-staal-fast
Kk-drury-carrier

The line combos aren’t that important. We aren’t that far changed on offense.
You forgot the fifth line….

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
I think the new GM has done a fairly good job putting together a lineup along with saving money.. only hoping this will lead to trading for one high dollar forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad