Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Development Camp

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Good analysis which is on point.

Florian Xhekaj provides an excellent example of why you should never pigeon-hole players based simply on their size and supposed reputation. I knew little about Florian at the start of last season other than what most people understood, that he was largely a nepotistic draft choice, who offered 4th line toughness. Then I watched him play (over 40 games) and quickly recognized that Xhekaj was no mere bottom line enforcer.

Florian showed well above-average straightforward speed, hand skills, offensive creativeness and an overall skill set that allowed him to play in all game situations. Most importantly, he played on the Bulldogs first power play unit manning the right point/half boards. It should have been obvious to any observer, that this fourth round draft choice had more upside than the accepted , predictable view of Florian being no more than a possible bottom line, physical enforcer at the NHL level.

I was so impressed with this kid that I even suggested he should be on Team Canada's radar for the 2024 WJC. As it turned out, Canada could have used Xhekaj's straight - line speed at the WJC rather than some of the smallish, plugs that Hockey Canada seems to have a penchant for.

I think at this stage, Florian has to be easily considered among Montreal's top 3-4 forward prospects. He has just started to scratch the surface of his potential. While he still has to gain some quickness, his short sojourn in the AHL has shown that this kid has what it takes to play, and play effectively, against professional players.

I think all this too predictable talk of Florian being our Maroon, etc. is way off-base. Xhekaj's level of success in professional hockey will be based on his emerging hockey skills. This kid can skate, shoot and be a playmaker. His size and controlled physical aggressiveness, is just a bonus. I see his role being more a top six forward than a bottom six one.

This kid will be interesting to watch.

We got lucky with this pick. Or just maybe, Hughes is that good.
At last season start we could dream of Flo to be a good 4th liner. Now, after last season, i can see, like many others, that he could actually be much more. It's not set yet, but the ceiling on the Xhekaj bros is very hard to pinpoint while the floor is at minimal 'an nhl player '.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
yes...after acquiring multiple 1sts...which I don't believe Bergy did once in his entire tenure.

I'll do you one better. Marc Bergevin actually never once traded up in his tenure

Instead, he traded :
- 4th 2021 to 4th TB 2022 ??? TO THE f***ING BACK TO BACK CHAMPIONS?
- 7th 2021 to 7th ARI 2022
- 3rd 2021 to 3rd ANA 2022
- 7th 2020 to 7th CHI 2021
- 7th 2019 to 7th PHI 2020
- 5th 2019 to 5th FLA 2020
- 4th 2019 to 4th SJ 2020

AND IT GOES ON AND ON.

... I just mean ; What the f***, men. He also traded down MULTIPLES times like once a year.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'll do you one better. Marc Bergevin actually never once traded up in his tenure

Instead, he traded :
- 4th 2021 to 4th TB 2022 ??? TO THE f***ING BACK TO BACK CHAMPIONS?
- 7th 2021 to 7th ARI 2022
- 3rd 2021 to 3rd ANA 2022
- 7th 2020 to 7th CHI 2021
- 7th 2019 to 7th PHI 2020
- 5th 2019 to 5th FLA 2020
- 4th 2019 to 4th SJ 2020

AND IT GOES ON AND ON.

... I just mean ; What the f***, men. He also traded down MULTIPLES times like once a year.
In terms of 1st rounders, I think this is the first time the Habs have moved up since 2010 draft when they moved up to #22. It turned out to be a very mediocre player though. I'm guessing this was under the Pierre Gauthier regime.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Not in direct response to your message but its funny how both regimes put a large emphasis on character yet don't seem to have the same definition for it and have yielded different results. Make you think for MB it was just a buzzword.
MB was obsessed with building a team in HIS image. Players that had similar careers/potential as he had. Stick in the 90s for mindset and didn’t evolve with the game. Hughes has spent a lot of time around players and knows what works in a hockey market like montreal

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Not in direct response to your message but its funny how both regimes put a large emphasis on character yet don't seem to have the same definition for it and have yielded different results. Make you think for MB it was just a buzzword.
The problem with MB was they were not up to date on the development end of things. Too many misses to blame it on the scouting and players.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
At last season start we could dream of Flo to be a good 4th liner. Now, after last season, i can see, like many others, that he could actually be much more. It's not set yet, but the ceiling on the Xhekaj bros is very hard to pinpoint while the floor is at minimal 'an nhl player '.
Can’t wait to see who Bobrov calls a unicorn in 2024. That guarantees you an incredible growth curve

Reactions: Andrei79

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Serge Savard helped get Bergevin hired.
And Savard turned against Bergevin at some point during his reign but Molson still kept him.

Bergevin's era was a true roller coaster. A good season then a terrible one and it went on and on. My man issue with Bergevin was that he was handed perfect pieces to build his core but never decided to go all in with his trades, only patch work. On the opposite, if you refuse to go all in, then trade the useless piece to get better draft position to improve the core. Instead it was patch job after patch job and he always complained that good players were never attainable in trades, while every year other teams acquired plenty of good players through trades.

I will give him credit for 3 trades that I really liked at that time : 1- Petry, 2-Vanek, 3-Danault
I know Vanek was not a huge success but we did get a legit talent for spare pieces and it brought a lot of excitement to our playoff push.

His most defining trades were Subban vs Weber and Drouin vs Sergachev.

The rest of his moves was just awful team building. Markov out for Alzner... like really?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
And Savard turned against Bergevin at some point during his reign but Molson still kept him.

Bergevin's era was a true roller coaster. A good season then a terrible one and it went on and on. My man issue with Bergevin was that he was handed perfect pieces to build his core but never decided to go all in with his trades, only patch work. On the opposite, if you refuse to go all in, then trade the useless piece to get better draft position to improve the core. Instead it was patch job after patch job and he always complained that good players were never attainable in trades, while every year other teams acquired plenty of good players through trades.

I will give him credit for 3 trades that I really liked at that time : 1- Petry, 2-Vanek, 3-Danault
I know Vanek was not a huge success but we did get a legit talent for spare pieces and it brought a lot of excitement to our playoff push.

His most defining trades were Subban vs Weber and Drouin vs Sergachev.

The rest of his moves was just awful team building. Markov out for Alzner... like really?
Getting Suzuki in the Pacioretty trade was a great move.
The problem with Bergevin was nepotism. Hiring Michel Therrien and Sylvain Lefebvre were moves that set the organization back. Neither of these guys should have been within a mile of any prospect.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Getting Suzuki in the Pacioretty trade was a great move.
The problem with Bergevin was nepotism. Hiring Michel Therrien and Sylvain Lefebvre were moves that set the organization back. Neither of these guys should have been within a mile of any prospect.

It is the only move he did that moved the team forward.

All the rest was patching or lateral move at best, combined with a decade of failed draft.

Some people would argue that its even luck to have had Suzuki since he wanted Glass. Personally i believe we should judge the thing as it is.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It is the only move he did that moved the team forward.

All the rest was patching or lateral move at best, combined with a decade of failed draft.

Some people would argue that its even luck to have had Suzuki since he wanted Glass. Personally i believe we should judge the thing as it is.
Make no mistake I am probably the guy who despises the Bergevin era the most. The minute he hired Therrien I knew this franchise was screwed. What I didn't expect is how bad Lefebvre was, his vision was not to develop young players...he tried to win at any cost and that in itself was an utter failure. Molson is 100% to blame for turning this iconic franchise over to such idiots.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Make no mistake I am probably the guy who despises the Bergevin era the most. The minute he hired Therrien I knew this franchise was screwed. What I didn't expect is how bad Lefebvre was, his vision was not to develop young players...he tried to win at any cost and that in itself was an utter failure. Molson is 100% to blame for turning this iconic franchise over to such idiots.

100% Agree. He also kept Bergevin and his gang for too long.

Tho, he salvaged it pretty good with Gorton.

Sucks we had this administration for the Subban and Price era.

Very happy we have HuGo for the Slafkovsky and Demidov era!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
More I see from the last 3 years draft by the new management, I think they truly nailed it all draft. They pick very well with their high pick and but also draft very very good potential with the laters rounds also.
Drafting top 5 for 3 consecutive years hard to miss. Easy to get core players. Draft in 20s, get players like Beck or Mesar. Decent players but more 3rd liners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad