Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Development Camp

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I watched the McCagg podcast and it never happened. The only time that they mention someone being 5’7” is at around the 18:15 minute mark when they talked about Zetterberg (being 5'7" and struggling on the boards). Bergqvist is not mentioned in that podcast at all. So no, I don’t see him as a fraud. What I do see is someone with an agenda spreading misinformation

Bergqvist was mentioned but you are right and I am entirely wrong as it was in fact Zetterberg that they were talking about. I never watch this podcast very intently and got burned with my own confirmation bias here. This stuff is only ever on while I am working and they did mention Bergqvist previous to Zetterberg so when they were still talking about a Swedish kid I just assumed it was Bergqvist and not the crappy undrafted invite. Hockeydb do have him mistakenly listed at 5'6" so I further assumed that this was where their mistake was born.....anyways my bad and it doesn't change the fact that Grant is a fake scout who worked one single season in his life as a part time scout but it does high lite the fact that I need to be more diligent about vetting my opinion when it is this strong before sharing it and acting like a Dbag myself.

There is no agenda, Grant is objectively bad but my take here was even worse and I have no issue owning that.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
We're good. Imagine being a Sens fan though. Your Nhl team is bad and your prospect pool is terrible 😂😂😂😂

1720416457192.png

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The only person the blame for the Bergevin is Bergevin himself. It's the GM, god dammit.

He make good trades, but at signing contract ?!?! Really really bad !
Bergevin had good trades and good signings, and bad trades and bad signings. What made him a really bad GM as opposed to a mediocre one was:
  1. The guys he failed to re-sign for dumb (mostly egotistical) reasons, Radulov, Danault, Markov…
  2. The total lack of vision leading to absolutely not attempts to add guys the team needed.
  3. The really terrible signings of crappy players to long term signings. The only thing most of these players had going for them was the TSN cheering secrion.
  4. The coaches he signed who limited the NHL team and destroyed lower prospects.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Bergevin had good trades and good signings, and bad trades and bad signings. What made him a really bad GM as opposed to a mediocre one was:
  1. The guys he failed to re-sign for dumb (mostly egotistical) reasons, Radulov, Danault, Markov…
  2. The total lack of vision leading to absolutely not attempts to add guys the team needed.
  3. The really terrible signings of crappy players to long term signings. The only thing most of these players had going for them was the TSN cheering secrion.
  4. The coaches he signed who limited the NHL team and destroyed lower prospects.
He drafted terribly and couldn’t add or replenish talent on the top squad roster. This was the killer problem

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Yakupov and Daigle were unanimous 1 OA picks and they were both poo.

Exactly.....it is even worse than that as McD-bagg was actually at that scrimmage lol. It was Gaumond who said that he was 5'7" which is actually an inch taller than hockeydb had him. Grant was in agreement and added the part about him being too small to play effectively on the boards after watching him lose board battles lol

Clown!
I understand you may not like him, but is McD-bagg really necessary?

Reactions: Tyson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The problem with MB was they were not up to date on the development end of things. Too many misses to blame it on the scouting and players.
The problem with MB is that he didn’t know the first thing about building a hockey team. His first move was to hire Therrien. His second to pass on Jagr for Briere… and then Therrien used Briere sparingly.

Contrast that with today. We have a plan we’re executing on. We don’t just say we’re building through the draft, we actually do it. And we’ve got a coach who’s great at developing player skill. Notice that Timmins’ late picks are panning out just as they used to before MB took over. Not coincidence.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Problem with MB is that he is a total idiot / nincompoop there's really nothing else to be said , you can talk about asset management or trades or culture or whatever you want.

The guy is simply a total bozo mononcle idiot , The funniest part is see LA get ran into the ground the same way he did to us. Absolute idiot of a person and gm

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Problem with MB is that he is a total idiot / nincompoop there's really nothing else to be said , you can talk about asset management or trades or culture or whatever you want.

The guy is simply a total bozo mononcle idiot , The funniest part is see LA get ran into the ground the same way he did to us. Absolute idiot of a person and gm
I don't see how a team like LA doesn't see it.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I think our string of 1st round draft picks tells a very obvious story:

Out last 6 first rounders:
- Demidov
- Reinbacher
- Slaf
- Mailloux
- Guhle
- Caufield

Our next 10:
- KK
- Poehling
- Sergachev
- Juulsen
- Scherbak
- McCarron
- Galchenyuk
- Beaulieu
- Tinordi
- Lebanc

So we're 6 for 6 (assuming our D work out), and the previous 10, just 1.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Honnestly I don't even know how much he is advising but everybody just assumes he is because of all the dumb moves they make . He might actually be doing nothing all day and still taking the blame for it because of how bad he was here :laugh:
I wonder how much input he had with the insane Edmundson signing.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Honnestly I don't even know how much he is advising but everybody just assumes he is because of all the dumb moves they make . He might actually be doing nothing all day and still taking the blame for it because of how bad he was here :laugh:
Going by LA deal to Eddy, he's advising too much....

• Haha
Reactions: xX SEYF Xx

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I think our string of 1st round draft picks tells a very obvious story:

Out last 6 first rounders:
- Demidov
- Reinbacher
- Slaf
- Mailloux
- Guhle
- Caufield

Our next 10:
- KK
- Poehling
- Sergachev
- Juulsen
- Scherbak
- McCarron
- Galchenyuk
- Beaulieu
- Tinordi
- Lebanc

So we're 6 for 6 (assuming our D work out), and the previous 10, just 1.

We're a one Bergevin away to screw all this up, i just hope we've learned our lesson with bad GMs

Reactions: junyab

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Sadly he possesses decent insight but he also possess a crappy attitude.

I disagree that he possesses decent insight as he is neither an insider nor is he a scout. He has some connections but that is mostly through nepotism and not through connections that he made due to hockey acumen which I am not going to get into as it is too personal and despite the fact that I think that he is a crappy person I am not going to cross that line.

Grant loves hockey but he does not like to travel and does not understand the game at a high level. There is a reason that he has never scouted since that one season under Gainey......if his connections were so strong don't you think that he would land a job in the NHL at some point? Do you really believe that Bob Mackenzie actually respects his opinion or is there another reason that he agreed to publicly speak with him? He is an outsider who is taking advantage of contacts that are not there based on merit and I am going to leave it at that but he is only getting surface level stuff and he is not privy to anything important.

The guy is a writer who loves hockey and is attempting to parlay a stroke of luck into a career that NHL teams do not endorse. His insights are those of many people that I know who have been around hockey for a long time but simply don't have the ability to truly understand it as they are just too steeped in truisms and and are too rigid in their beliefs.

His attitude and ego are what turn me off the most as he is unwilling to have his opinion questioned despite the fact that he has never even watched the vast majority of these prospects live. He also does not understand skating mechanics, shooting mechanics or the systems and structure that NHL teams use. The guy is just guessing like the rest of us after watching videos......any real scout will tell you that this approach is meaningless.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
His attitude and ego are what turn me off the most as he is unwilling to have his opinion questioned despite the fact that he has never even watched the vast majority of these prospects live.
That's everyone who posts on this forum talking about prospects, too. Feels like most of the people just wait for someone to post a highlight and then make comments off that, but that's another story.

GRANTed, they're not trying to make money off of it.

Extinction Burst

Jul 7, 2024
Anyone else watch Shayne Gaumond and Grant McD-bagg totally butcher the Bergqvist analysis from the scrimmage. Going on about how tiny he looked at 5'7" and how he struggled on the boards because he was so tiny out there.......Bergqvist is incorrectly listed on hockeydb as being 5'6" 128 lbs when he is actually 6'2" 181 lbs. This demonstrates yet again how nobody should ever use hockeydb as a source of information as they are consistently wrong just as they still are with Adam Engstrom who they continue to list at 6'0" 168 lbs when he is 6'2" 190 lbs.....it has been two full years yet it is still there. If hockeydb management notice that their dog sh*t in the middle of the living room do they just leave it there for years? lol

This is also very telling that McCagg is a fraud who, despite being at the freaking game allowed egregiously incorrect information that he saw online entirely dictate what his little brain was processing and then repeat it on air as though he has any insight at all.

I quite literally would never look to Grant for any reason when discussing a prospect as he is well below myself and many others around here.....it is actually embarrassing how incompetent he actually is. The guy is a baboon throwing darts who revels in the times that he gets lucky and tries in vain to justify his misses long after they have busted.

I suspect it was Grant or someone from the podcast.....They were correct in doing so as I was wrong....now if only Grant could ever learn to say the same thing when he is wrong lol.
Kudos to you for being able to recognize and admit to making a mistake; many can’t. I have no horses in this race. I’m here to read and track what’s happening with my favorite team. The information you and others provide here on this board is truly unique.

I recently also started watching Canadiens-related podcasts, including Arpon and Godin and Grant’s Recruits. As far as Grant is concerned, I find his information and insight on the NHL draft to be second to none. For example, he had Sennecke going top 5 and Yacemchuk at 7 to Ottawa, at least a week before anyone else did. As other posters have mentioned, this is probably due to his many connections. Often, who you know counts as much or even more than what you know.

Although I like watching the Recruits podcast, I sometimes find Grant’s conduct toward his co-host, Shayne Gaumond, disrespectful. All is well when Shayne agrees with what Grant is saying, but when he doesn’t, Grant’s behavior is rude, which I do not like.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kudos to you for being able to recognize and admit to making a mistake; many can’t. I have no horses in this race. I’m here to read and track what’s happening with my favorite team. The information you and others provide here on this board is truly unique.

I recently also started watching Canadiens-related podcasts, including Arpon and Godin and Grant’s Recruits. As far as Grant is concerned, I find his information and insight on the NHL draft to be second to none. For example, he had Sennecke going top 5 and Yacemchuk at 7 to Ottawa, at least a week before anyone else did. As other posters have mentioned, this is probably due to his many connections. Often, who you know counts as much or even more than what you know.

Although I like watching the Recruits podcast, I sometimes find Grant’s conduct toward his co-host, Shayne Gaumond, disrespectful. All is well when Shayne agrees with what Grant is saying, but when he doesn’t, Grant’s behavior is rude, which I do not like.

Thats the Grant experience. I basically take his "X player is going this range" pretty solidly because he's often got that information correct. But when the opinion is his own on the prospect, that's when I tune out, especially if he doesn't like that player. The hit jobs of Levshunov and Wright were uncalled for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad