OT: UB and General College Football Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
No, with no NIU or Ball State on the regular season schedule, it's been fairly weak so far (BG will be tough). But on the positive side, as mentioned, they waxed all but one of those teams and got a coach axed (sure, not JUST because of them, but still...). Plus they pretty well controlled (the two horrible calls notwithstanding) an Ohio team that started the year with high MAC hopes, was playing good football, and had beaten very solid North Texas and Marshall teams earlier. And that Branden Oliver looks like a keeper.

On a side note, it was interesting to see two Buffalo teams benefit from bad officiating...on the same night!

I thought the only bad call was the safety, but that didn't really have any effect on the outcome anyway. Buffalo D didn't allow Ohio much of anything. Oliver outgained the team all by himself. What was the other call you're referring to?

Oh, and Oliver is a senior so he's only got a few more games and he's done. He's now 5th in the nation in rushing yards. A couple weeks ago he broke Starks' record for career rushing yards at UB. I think he gets drafted somewhere. Not early, but somewhere probably on day 2. Neutz should get signed by someone as an undrafted FA. He's got excellent size, great hands, and despite not having great speed, seems to always be open.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I thought the only bad call was the safety, but that didn't really have any effect on the outcome anyway. Buffalo D didn't allow Ohio much of anything. Oliver outgained the team all by himself. What was the other call you're referring to?
The way they played, no, I don't think the calls made a difference either. The other call I was referring to was the Ohio fumble that wasn't overturned on replay. On the field I can see the call going the way it did (fumble), but it wasn't overturned because they say there was no angle to confirm the knee was down. That may have been technically correct, but it seemed pretty obvious that the knee was down. Common sense has to play a factor in some cases. At least that would be my argument if I were on the other side.
Oh, and Oliver is a senior so he's only got a few more games and he's done.
I know, I was just joking.
He's now 5th in the nation in rushing yards. A couple weeks ago he broke Starks' record for career rushing yards at UB. I think he gets drafted somewhere. Not early, but somewhere probably on day 2.
I can't imagine Oliver not getting some serious, reasonably early, looks. You can talk about questionable competition and all that, but he's got a lot of tools and is a physical beast who can cut like a Ginsu knife. Dated reference.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Bumping this for Bowl Season.

UB will be heading to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in Boise against San Diego State. Saturday 12/21, 5:30pm.

Hopefully Khalil Mack steals the show. Already got the forced fumble career record, but he could really solidify his chances at a top-10 pick with a good showing.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I know he won some lesser award already (forget which), but the major ones are still TBA.

Khalil Mack Wins 2013 Jack Lambert Award - UBBulls.com - Friday, December 6.

Buffalo, NY - University at Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack has been named the winner of the 2013 Jack Lambert Award, presented annually by The Touchdown Club of Columbus to college football's top linebacker. The award is named for Pro Football Hall of Famer and Kent State University defensive legend Jack Lambert, and has been received by current NFL stars Patrick Willis, James Laurinaitis, Johnathan Vilma, and last year's winner Jarvis Jones.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20131206p3v1d4

Mack Named Defensive Player of the Year; Record Seven Bulls Earn All-MAC Honors - UBBulls.com - Wednesday, December 4,

Buffalo, NY - University at Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack was named the Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Year on Wednesday the conference announced. The senior linebacker headlined a school-record seven players named to the All-MAC team.

Mack is the first player in school history to be named MAC Defensive Player of the Year. The Fort Pierce, FL native leads the conference in sacks with 10.5 and tackles for loss with 19 to go along with team-best 94 tackles. Mack also leads the team with three interceptions and five forced fumbles. He has broken the NCAA record for career forced fumbles with 16 and tied the NCAA mark with 75 career tackles for loss.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/201312045pbbq1

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Don't forget Buffalo Bulls vs San Diego State Aztecs - Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - Boise, Idaho - 5:30 pm ET - ESPN/WatchESPN.com - GO BULLS!

Last edited:

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Don't forget Buffalo Bulls vs San Jose Aztecs - Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - Boise, Idaho - 5:30 pm ET - ESPN/WatchESPN.com - GO BULLS!
San Diego State Aztecs. SJSU are the Spartans. Last I checked UB was favored by 4. All I know about San Diego St. is their defense is pretty porous. Hopefully UB is wearing their road whites. We may not be able to see the players on that field if it's the home blues.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
No, Jerry Hughes has played well enough as a pass rusher to not require one drafted now, I think.

And I highly doubt that Oliver gets drafted.

Mack is more than a pass rusher. He plays great against the run and is an all situations linebacker with size. Something the Bills need to round out what could be a top 3-5 NFL defense. Still would rather draft a QB though. Also I could definitely see Oliver going in the 5th round or later.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
No, Jerry Hughes has played well enough as a pass rusher to not require one drafted now, I think.
Whether or not he fits in with the Bills, I don't know, but Mack is much more than just a pass rusher. You don't get elevated to top tier draft status by being one-dimensional. He's a disruptive force, with the tackles for loss and passes defended stats to back it up. With the sack total added in, plus his athleticism and speed, he's someone a team will seriously consider taking as a BPA even if he doesn't fill an immediate need.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I've seen some mocks suggest Mack could even go in the top 5! He may not be there when the Bills choose, but I absolutely agree he would be a beast on the defense.

Mack-Alonso-Lawson would be a solid LB corps. Hughes rotates in as a situational pass rusher--can play opposite Mario.

In terms of value I'd love the Bills taking Mack where they are slotted to draft. Our run defense is still horrendous, and a guy like Mack who's just a playmaker could really help there.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
I don't see Mack being available when the Bills pick, I think the exposure of this bowl game and the senior bowl will lead to him being a top 5 pick.

but if he's there? I endorse it whole heartedly. The kid is an absolute beast.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
San Diego State Aztecs. SJSU are the Spartans. Last I checked UB was favored by 4. All I know about San Diego St. is their defense is pretty porous. Hopefully UB is wearing their road whites. We may not be able to see the players on that field if it's the home blues.

:shakehead - not sure why I typed San Jose there, thanks for the correction, I went back and edited my post. Yes, San Diego State are the Aztecs and they are playing Buffalo Bulls this afternoon. San Jose State are the Spartans. I'm pretty good at matching up schools with nicknames, just not with ones from "San" I guess. LOL!

San Diego State is the hometeam and they will be wearing their Black jerseys with black pants. Buffalo is the away team and they will be wearing their white jerseys with blue pants. So no all-blue for Buffalo today (blue helmets, blue jerseys, blue pants) on the blue turf. :(

Go Buffalo Bulls! :yo: - next year!

Last edited:

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
:shakehead - not sure why I typed San Jose there, thanks for the correction, I went back and edited my post.
It's all good. I knew you knew, just a typo. I? Me do'nt maik typoos.
Buffalo is the away team and they will be wearing their white jerseys with blue pants. So no all-blue for Buffalo today (blue helmets, blue jerseys, blue pants) on the blue turf.
Funny, but even with the white jerseys I couldn't see the UB Bulls anywhere on the field.
Go Buffalo Bulls! :yo: - next year!
Yes, let's hope that even with the loss of Mack, this team is headed in a positive, CONSISTENT direction. AD White is talking the good talk, so it's time to get busy and back it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad