HF Habs: U18 World Men's Hockey Championship, April 25-May 5

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
There's a huge dropoff in the early 20s IMO which is pretty typical of most draft years.

Hemming is the biggest disappointment. Just a perimeter shooter with limited IQ.

I was definitely expecting a lot more from Hemming. At his size, I wanted to see a lot more physical determination from him.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
There's a huge dropoff in the early 20s IMO which is pretty typical of most draft years.

Hemming is the biggest disappointment. Just a perimeter shooter with limited IQ.

In terms of top 6 forwards, I agree, but in terms of middle 6, it's still strong. Basha, Ritchie, Luchenko, Beaudoin, Boileau, etc. There should be forwards with upside.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
DC oo
Same thing happened to Pastrnak. He had an excellent season in HockeyAllsvenskan, but did nothing at u18s. No goals & only handful of assists.

The following year he's ppg in AHL to start, gets called up to NHL and that's all she wrote.

Helenius is productive in Liiga.

He's playing at World Championship in a couple of weeks, so there's more opportunity to watch him.
Fair enough but I expect more from a Top 10 pick when you play all season and show decent production against men but then fall flat against kids. This should be a cakewalk for him.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
DC oo

Fair enough but I expect more from a Top 10 pick when you play all season and show decent production against men but then fall flat against kids. This should be a cakewalk for him.

Overall, I agree. I mean I've had Iginla on my list all year. I wrote last summer that he would end up as a top 10 pick when he was initially ranked late 1st.

Demidov, Iginla, Lindstrom are my top forwards.

Reactions: bopeep and le_sean

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
In terms of top 6 forwards, I agree, but in terms of middle 6, it's still strong. Basha, Ritchie, Luchenko, Beaudoin, Boileau, etc. There should be forwards with upside.
Yeah that's the exact tier I'm talking about + Surin (and minus Ritchie). There's a significant drop in quality from Artamonov/Chernyshov/Hage to that group.

Basha is the one guy I don't really have a read on, so if someone wants to argue him higher I won't complain.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good thing Canada is an offensive machine and are getting good goaltending because the turnovers in their own zone are brutal.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Honestly I'm not that convinced by Iggy or Helenius at #5, feels too high for them with the amount of high quality talent available, they both feel like top 8-12'ish prospects to me. They both definitely have upside with a safe floor tho, they're solid prospects.

If I'm at 5 and Lindstrom/Demidov aren't available I'm looking at Catton or Parekh. Personally it's Parekh for me.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Iggy dancing around with his "sub par skating and sub par hands"

The thing with Iginla is he's still only 17. He also barely played last year due to being on a stacked Seattle team.

This is his 1st full year in WHL. His progression this year has been insane. He's going to get stronger, and faster. He's going to get better with more experience.

That's what you want. Players who have the tools to grow. He definitely has that.

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
I don’t think we have a shot at James Hagens next year but with Calgary’s pick and our own, I wouldn’t mind both Porter Martone and Roger McQueen. Both actor names lol

Reactions: windycity

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I was definitely expecting a lot more from Hemming. At his size, I wanted to see a lot more physical determination from him.
That's why I do not rate player from Finland, their league is subpar and their bust ratio is scary high. (And yes I am aware of Aho/Hintz/Rantanen/Barkov)

I do not see a similar player this year. I am not against drafting them outside the first round though. Let's just say I have a huge a negative bias toward them achieving their draft rank.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Overall, I agree. I mean I've had Iginla on my list all year. I wrote last summer that he would end up as a top 10 pick when he was initially ranked late 1st.

Demidov, Iginla, Lindstrom are my top forwards.
I'll make sure to quote this once Celebrini is a star :sarcasm:
I don’t think we have a shot at James Hagens next year but with Calgary’s pick and our own, I wouldn’t mind both Porter Martone and Roger McQueen. Both actor names lol
Martone is going 2nd without a doubt, I think he's out of our reach too lol

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain