Value of: Tyson Barrie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Suspect is downplaying it, he's just horrible defensively. Good at breaking out passes, decent in transition, bottom pairing guy who can QB the PP, but absolute liability in his own end. It'll have to be a big add for a quality stay at home guy, especially if it's a RHD.

He isn't good defensively, but I would also like to point out that he has never been the absolute trainwreck defensively that he was in Toronto for the Oilers. It was common talk around here that Babcock didn't use him correctly and completely ruined his confidence because he was trying to change his game. He rebounded in Edmonton. He's no worse defensively than a lot of other offense first defensemen. He can play top pair RD if he is beside a strong LD, that's why he can work on Edmonton with Nurse. The issue is that we have Bouchard who is doing nearly everything Barrie does offensively, for a fraction of the cost.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Barrie has had a bad start defensively, but he's rebounded lately, resulting in an adequate 2.64 5x5 GA/60.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Barrie for Zaitsev

Sens get an offensive D to lead their powerplay

Oilers get a bottom pairing RD

Both come with the same cap hit, and years remaining

Reactions: russ99 and Czechboy

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I have never seen a player who led the NHL in points for his position get so much disrespect.

if it’s so easy, how come his replacement isn’t leading the league now?

Reactions: bucks_oil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Barrie for Zaitsev

Sens get an offensive D to lead their powerplay

Oilers get a bottom pairing RD

Both come with the same cap hit, and years remaining
No thanks, Oilers need the cap space next season and would prefer a Subban over Zaitsev

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
What about Barrie for Varlamov? Someone else on our board suggested it and I don't think it's terrible.

Possible?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As an Oiler fan, I dont see us trading him. Maybe... if we really need that cap space

However

He is playing up to expectations and we can use him

He just signed a deal with term, leaving money on the table mind you. Its classless to trade him off.

It's not happening

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Alex12

Jun 23, 2016
Any trade Edmonton makes aside from Mcdavid and Sucksaital involves them adding extra.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
He's still on pace for 40 points in a down year. He could very well have a strong finish and finish with 50 points+.

Last three seasons:
39 points in 70 games
48 points in 56 games
17 points in 36 games (around 40 point pace)

After this season, he will have 2 years remaining at 4.5M. Teams were offering him 6M on a 1 year contract. Oilers will get value from him. Maybe not much, but still not a cap dump.

I'm expecting a 2nd round pick + a minor prospect
So you're saying he is the right handed Shayne Gostisbehere? For reference Ghost was traded to the Yotes with a 2nd and a 7th for future considerations.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'd try and get Mayfield in a trade. I suggested Barrie to the Islanders before and some fans were pretty irate about it. The Islanders PP is around 17% and in the bottom 3rd of the league so I think Barrie would help them a lot in that regard. Some replied he would only take away PP time from Pulock and Dobson. I guess he would because he'd be better on the powerplay than either of these two players right now.

Re: Manson Holland already stated he would not deal a 1st for a rental.

Islanders are currently on pace for 220 power play opportunities over the season, with 118 more opportunities to come. If they keep the current 17.7% pace, that's 21 more powerplay goals Islanders will score in their second half of the season. If Tyson Barrie comes and bumps that number to 25% for the remaining games, that's around 29/30 powerplay goals coming in the second half of the season. I'm not sure the difference really outweighs giving up a player like Mayfield. Especially when the difference might even include some more goals against. I'm not sure how much more production they would get even strength with rolling Barrie on the 3rd line.

By doing this I found out that Colorado is on pace for 305 power play opportunities and have lead the league in powerplay opportunities in each of the last 5 seasons.

Last edited:

oxenfree

Jun 20, 2019
when did Gostisbehere lead the NHL in points from his position?

Playing for the Leafs was the worst thing that ever happened to Barrie. The fanbase and media completely destroyed his reputation while misusing him.

He was fine on the Avs. He's fine on the Oilers. He's a good defenseman, he just didn't work out for the mighty TML so that makes him trash.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
when did Gostisbehere lead the NHL in points from his position?
Is that the 1 standard for comparing? When did Barrie have over 60 points? Both are fairly one dimensional offensive defenseman with flaws in their defensive game, signed at over $4million. Is that really a difficult stretch to see them as comparable?

Brent Burns Beard