Value of: Tyson Barrie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Barrie is becoming surplus to requirements in Edmonton with Evan Bouchard improving and stepping into his role.

Looking for a hockey trade of a scoring defensemen/power play QB that's a bit suspect at the back traded for a non-flashy steady own zone RHD who's not especially an offensive type.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think the bidding start at Barrie for PK Subban

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Suspect is downplaying it, he's just horrible defensively. Good at breaking out passes, decent in transition, bottom pairing guy who can QB the PP, but absolute liability in his own end. It'll have to be a big add for a quality stay at home guy, especially if it's a RHD.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
With that contract he's a cap dump as far as I'm concerned but Oiler fans keep telling me there are lots of teams that will want him. Obviously I'm biased, will be interesting to see if any fan bases are willing to offer anything of value. Also, if there is an interested team they are probably going to need to send roughly equal cap back in any transaction.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A team in need of a PP QB and can bury him on the bottom pair would have interest.
I wouldn't expect much of a return though.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Suspect is downplaying it, he's just horrible defensively. Good at breaking out passes, decent in transition, bottom pairing guy who can QB the PP, but absolute liability in his own end. It'll have to be a big add for a quality stay at home guy, especially if it's a RHD.
Hes better than when he played in toronto stop living in the past

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hes better than when he played in toronto stop living in the past
When you're literally glued to McDavid/Draisaitl, your numbers will always look better than playing anywhere else. Just a fact, he's really bad defensively.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
When you're literally glued to McDavid/Draisaitl, your numbers will always look better than playing anywhere else. Just a fact, he's really bad defensively.
History suggests that most players haven't seen an uptick in production when playing for the Oilers. In fact, it's quite the opposite, despite McDrai being on the team.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Contingent on him re-signing I guess. His dad is employed by the organization so it isn’t a huge stretch.

you're gonna have a long wait if you think the Oilers are going to include a 1st rounder with Barrie ! I like Manson but he's just not worth that much ! o_O

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Barrie for Mayfield?

Barrie + 1st for Manson?

I'd try and get Mayfield in a trade. I suggested Barrie to the Islanders before and some fans were pretty irate about it. The Islanders PP is around 17% and in the bottom 3rd of the league so I think Barrie would help them a lot in that regard. Some replied he would only take away PP time from Pulock and Dobson. I guess he would because he'd be better on the powerplay than either of these two players right now.

Re: Manson Holland already stated he would not deal a 1st for a rental.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
With that contract he's a cap dump as far as I'm concerned but Oiler fans keep telling me there are lots of teams that will want him. Obviously I'm biased, will be interesting to see if any fan bases are willing to offer anything of value. Also, if there is an interested team they are probably going to need to send roughly equal cap back in any transaction.
He's still on pace for 40 points in a down year. He could very well have a strong finish and finish with 50 points+.

Last three seasons:
39 points in 70 games
48 points in 56 games
17 points in 36 games (around 40 point pace)

After this season, he will have 2 years remaining at 4.5M. Teams were offering him 6M on a 1 year contract. Oilers will get value from him. Maybe not much, but still not a cap dump.

I'm expecting a 2nd round pick + a minor prospect

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
so why wasnt he so productive with auston and marner and tavares....etc? he played his worst hockey in the nhl playing for tml while matthews scored 47 goals that season. riddle me that batman. either way sure hes not the best defensively but hes far from the worst especially of all the offensive dmen in the league. and since hes been wit hthe oilers hes had no choice but to get better defensively. so all in all your point youre trying to make is useless cause theres no proof

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
He is brutal. Take OEL (Much better dman) for him. Has 6 years left though ;)

Ha! That OEL contract.. whew! A big pill to swallow for most teams.

What's less than nothing?

I know you're being sarcastic but this remains a pretty clueless post. A number of fans on here have a real hate on for Barrie for some reason. When talking about trade value we can look at what Rasmus Ristolanien cost last year.

Ristolainen traded to Flyers by Sabres for No. 14 pick in 2021 Draft

Risto went for a 1st (14 OA), a 2nd in 2023 and defenseman Robert Hagg. Barrie and Ristolainen are basically the same player with the edge going to Barrie because his contract is lower and he has out scored Ristolainen by a wide margin over the past five years.

Tempering expectations however is the fact that this year the cost of defensemen is going down IMHO. I think there are more players going to be on the market because more teams are legitimately out of the playoffs this season compared to last, especially in the east. So I don't expect Barrie to go for a premium like Risto did.

That is a far cry from the posts of "cap dump" or "less than nothing" from the more biased fans on here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad