Player Discussion Tyler Kleven (D) at 44th Overall (Sens traded up)

Sun God Nika

Apr 22, 2013
Was at the game. Noticed he is getting more comfortable the game does still feel like it is going 1000mph around him but I think he will find a play style that will let him play around that speed by always prioritizing being in the right position/spot. Did notice one/two shifts where he was down too deep in the oZone and he couldn't skate back to the point in time and a forward had to cover for him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was always a bit of a Brannstrom fan myself but you can clearly see what Klevin brings to the game. He's physical. He's already stopped a few guys dead in their tracks on the boards. He's going to be good. He needs a bit more learning but breaking in a young D is something the other 31 teams are doing too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was always a bit of a Brannstrom fan myself but you can clearly see what Klevin brings to the game. He's physical. He's already stopped a few guys dead in their tracks on the boards. He's going to be good. He needs a bit more learning but breaking in a young D is something the other 31 teams are doing too.
I've been impressed with his play with the puck when pressured by a forechecker, on more than a couple occasions he's made a quick move to evade and give himself enough space to make a pass up ice and start the transition

He's made the odd mistake with his DZ coverage but I like how he's defending the rush, he's going to be a stud imo.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Was at the game. Noticed he is getting more comfortable the game does still feel like it is going 1000mph around him but I think he will find a play style that will let him play around that speed by always prioritizing being in the right position/spot. Did notice one/two shifts where he was down too deep in the oZone and he couldn't skate back to the point in time and a forward had to cover for him.
Such a tough take.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think JBD may be the steady presence that Klevin needs.

He is quicker than Hamonic at this point and has picked up his intensity.

He may not be an amazing puck mover, but he is better than Hamonic, so they should get out of the D zone easier.

I am intrigued by this pairing.

The NJD are a heck of a team to test it out against, though.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Kleven doesn’t look out of place in the 3rd pairing, in fact his game has been getting better on a steady pace. He is trying to bring his physical element in recent games and I like how he can also get the puck out to the neutral zone before making a safe play. Safe is the keyword to his start, he is playing a simple game but we will see more of his attributes as he gets more comfortable. I think the Sens 3rd pairing LD position is set at the very least. Let him watch some Methot tapes in the video room, may be Jacques Martin will insist on him also watching the A-Train (Volchenkov for you young uns). Groom him to become a reliable partner who can play top-4 on a pinch.

There is a lot for him to learn just from his teammates. Sanderson, Zub and now Jensen are reliable players he should learn from.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Kleven doesn’t look out of place in the 3rd pairing, in fact his game has been getting better on a steady pace. He is trying to bring his physical element in recent games and I like how he can also get the puck out to the neutral zone before making a safe play. Safe is the keyword to his start, he is playing a simple game but we will see more of his attributes as he gets more comfortable. I think the Sens 3rd pairing LD position is set at the very least. Let him watch some Methot tapes in the video room, may be Jacques Martin will insist on him also watching the A-Train (Volchenkov for you young uns). Groom him to become a reliable partner who can play top-4 on a pinch if needed.

There is a lot for him to learn just from his teammates. Sanderson, Zub and now Jensen are reliable players he should learn from.
Would do wonders for this pair if he could instill some A-train fearness to his game

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If you think he's still on a pretty steep development curve, there's no reason his ceiling is bottom pair, which seemed a commonly held view not too long ago. After a couple years, the game will have slowed down, the man muscles will have shown up, and he could be exactly what a team needs on the second pair in the playoffs.
Maybe he can teach Forsberg how to pass the puck!

He has lots of room to improve, and it is encouraging to see him handle the pace so well this early.

Once he is able to find the room to let his clapper go, more fans will realize what we have here.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Kleven will get a $212,500 bonus for each of these he hits this season (max $600k total):

- 10 goals
- 25 assists
- 40 points
- Top four in Time on Ice among Defensemen on team* (total and/or per game)
- Top three in +/- among defensemen on team*
- 0.49 points per game*
- Top two among defensemen on team in blocked shocks
- End-of Season All Rookie Team
- All Star Selection
- All Star MVP

* = min 42 games

There's zero chance for most of them, but a slim chance he could hit on +/-, TOI, and/or Blocked Shots.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There's zero chance for most of them, but a slim chance he could hit on +/-, TOI, and/or Blocked Shots.

He will have to grow into a big PK role for him to have a shot at the last two. I'm sure he will eventually but looks like they want to ease him into the NHL.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He will have to grow into a big PK role for him to have a shot at the last two. I'm sure he will eventually but looks like they want to ease him into the NHL.

I don't think it's likely - just a possibilty. My thought was more about Zub and Chabot always missing time. Brannstrom was 4th in total TOI last year for the Sens last year for example.

Not that it matters honestly... the Sens are in a good place cap wise beginning next year IMO. 600k won't matter. I was just curious what potential bonuses could arise, and I figured I'd share.

Reactions: DrEasy and Korpse

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Kleven doesn’t look out of place in the 3rd pairing, in fact his game has been getting better on a steady pace. He is trying to bring his physical element in recent games and I like how he can also get the puck out to the neutral zone before making a safe play. Safe is the keyword to his start, he is playing a simple game but we will see more of his attributes as he gets more comfortable. I think the Sens 3rd pairing LD position is set at the very least. Let him watch some Methot tapes in the video room, may be Jacques Martin will insist on him also watching the A-Train (Volchenkov for you young uns). Groom him to become a reliable partner who can play top-4 on a pinch.

I think he will be getting ice equal to chabby by year end.

20 minutes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad