Speculation: Two teams interested in acquiring Evander Kane

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It’s taking longer than people would like (much like the Draisaitl extension), but I think all signs point to him having surgery and then milking the recovery process to stay on LTIR as long as possible.

From what I can see, they’d need him to miss around 1/2 the season to get enough LTIR relief to offset the extensions Broberg and Holloway need to sign (I think the deal Barron just signed would be fair 1.15 x 2).

Then you roll with this until Kane get back:

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arvi
Holloway-Rico-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Perry
It’s already been reported that he won’t be going to LTIR, he’s going to be ready for training camp. He doesn’t require surgery.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
When healthy he’s a very effective player. He should just get the surgery and go on LTIR.

He’s been nothing but excellent in the community by all accounts.

Early in the year last season he was one of the better Oiler players, the sports hernia really impacted him as the season went on. Not sure how many seasons he’s got left but if healthy he’s a good contributor.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He’s not going anywhere this year, Oilers value what he brings and he’s also got a full NMC that changed to a 10 team NTC after this year.

He scored 26G in 76 games bouncing between the 2/3 lines with almost no PP time. He also plays with a physical edge and gets under opponents skin. If he stays healthy this year and has yet another 20G season they’ll have no problem trading him if they want to.
I dont think he really is the guy that gets under the other teams skin - hes the guy the other team can target and get to snap

He may run and start shit but that isnt getting to the other team.. he derails far too often and easily.. he is probably seen as a knob by opponents

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
2 years left at 5.25m. Still good for 25 goals per 82 or more. Fair to be concerned about injuries. Still, the cap hit to performance is there.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Wonder how much of his decline is due to the skate blade he took to the wrist? And what the recovery rate is for that type of injury
The wrist injury was huge. He lost power and accuracy on his shot, and had drastically reduced touch for stickhandling, passing, and even receiving a pass.

I remember reading something last year about a player who had similar ligament damage and it was a multi-year process to fully recover. That might be the best case scenario.

FrozenKing18

Where is my super suit?
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Vegas bound

IMG_6644.jpeg

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I dont think he really is the guy that gets under the other teams skin - hes the guy the other team can target and get to snap

He may run and start shit but that isnt getting to the other team.. he derails far too often and easily.. he is probably seen as a knob by opponents
This, Kane can pot a few points but he’s also the guy you go after if you want someone to get emotionally invested and start taking dumb penalties.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It’s already been reported that he won’t be going to LTIR, he’s going to be ready for training camp. He doesn’t require surgery.
Where was this reported?

It's pretty well documented it's now a chronic injury that's lasted several months that will not go away, and the pain can barely be managed.

I mean most doctors I know have said surgery would be the best option. But what do they know?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It’s taking longer than people would like (much like the Draisaitl extension), but I think all signs point to him having surgery and then milking the recovery process to stay on LTIR as long as possible.

From what I can see, they’d need him to miss around 1/2 the season to get enough LTIR relief to offset the extensions Broberg and Holloway need to sign (I think the deal Barron just signed would be fair 1.15 x 2).

Then you roll with this until Kane get back:

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arvi
Holloway-Rico-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Perry
They wouldn't be cap compliant when he returns from LTIR, the only way LTIR fixes their cap issues is if he's out until playoffs.

Seems more likely that ends up being the case and he's bought out next summer than traded with a sweetener this year imo, buying out the last year of his deal is pretty cheap. And then if he isn't deemed eligible for LTIR, feels like Kulak would be the easiest piece to move to make the money work

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Where was this reported?

It's pretty well documented it's now a chronic injury that's lasted several months that will not go away, and the pain can barely be managed.

I mean most doctors I know have said surgery would be the best option. But what do they know?

“Evander Kane will be ready for training camp, he will take part in the Captain Skates come early September. Going on LTIR isn’t the plan according to sources. Kane & his family have invested in staying in Edmonton over the next two years & beyond. The Ducks & Kings have interest in Kane but he’s not looking to waive his NMC at this time. He WANTS to be an Oiler!

“Dylan Holloway & Philip Broberg are expected to sign 2 year deals next week, Holloway AAV could be $1.3M & Broberg’s AAV could be $1.1M.”

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
“Evander Kane will be ready for training camp, he will take part in the Captain Skates come early September. Going on LTIR isn’t the plan according to sources. Kane & his family have invested in staying in Edmonton over the next two years & beyond. The Ducks & Kings have interest in Kane but he’s not looking to waive his NMC at this time. He WANTS to be an Oiler!

“Dylan Holloway & Philip Broberg are expected to sign 2 year deals next week, Holloway AAV could be $1.3M & Broberg’s AAV could be $1.1M.”
OH! yeah that....

Well our theory was, if he went under surgery, it would be sometime after training camp. Game 1 of the regular season to maximize the LTIR cap savings.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
OH! yeah that....

Well our theory was, if he went under surgery, it would be sometime after training camp. Game 1 of the regular season to maximize the LTIR cap savings.
Of all the scenarios that one is probably the least likely, that’s clear cap circumvention.
The guys been documented out golfing and performing typical summer activities. To suddenly be unfit to play for game 1 would be a giant question mark for the league.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Of all the scenarios that one is probably the least likely, that’s clear cap circumvention.
The guys been documented out golfing and performing typical summer activities. To suddenly be unfit to play for game 1 would be a giant question mark for the league.
It's not cap circumvention till a Canadian team does it!

Then they'll owe the Flames a 2nd

Reactions: The Nuge

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Oh no! Anyway
Damn I got absolutely tore apart for dismissing the severity of skirting Covid restrictions not all that long ago and got a temporary ban for basically saying big deal hahaha

Ok a side note, I think a healthy Kane is a huge piece and the oilers should hold onto him.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
LTIR doesn't work that way. It doesn't accrue cap space. If he shows up before the playoffs, they've lost all that space. The only way LTIR works for you to 'cheat' for playoffs, is if the player is out before the trade deadline until Game 1 of playoffs. Then you can use that cap hit to sign someone else. That's why the issues with Kucherov and Stone and P. Kane were looked at negatively by fans...they in all likelihood could have come back before playoffs, but those teams replaced them, so they essentially couldn't come back until Game 1. This won't apply to E. Kane, unless they plan to keep him on LTIR for the season.

I'm actually surprised teams don't trade more for LTIR players who will be back for playoffs. Those players are like free additions (other than trade cost). No cap worries for that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00