OT: TV & Movie Suggestions

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I thought I would give this thread a BUMP...

We have a few more days of transitional weather before hopefully a summer begins...

Over the last couple of weeks on YouTube I have noticed someone has posted well edited, re-produced Anthony Bourdain "Parts Unknown" documentaries...

Here is one of Anthony's best episodes... I watched it again tonight and had to smile, laugh and feel moments of anguish at our loss... rediscovering the magic he created... enjoy...

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Has anyone been watching Boba Fett? I had wanted to watch it, but have been steered clear by the bad reviews.
Watched it. It was okay. I thought the writing was better than the Mandalorian, but not by much. Thought the Mandalorian was okay for fans, but someone said “we have to match the original star wars movies so the dialogue has to be bad”.

I wish there were 20 seasons of Jack Reacher. I could see myself just binging them one after the other after work. It's such an easy show to watch.
Well there are at least 20 books, so they should get on it!

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Such a great show. Hasn’t surpassed Breaking Bad for me but its close…
I've watched all of it so far and I really can't believe the great press this series gets. I think it's well acted, but just too slow and convoluted. It feels like a 50 hour Woody Allen movie.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I've watched all of it so far and I really can't believe the great press this series gets. I think it's well acted, but just too slow and convoluted. It feels like a 50 hour Woody Allen movie.
hmmm...ok then. lol. Did you watch Breaking Bad too? Neither seem anything at all like Woody Allen movies to me but whatever...

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hah...

Woody Allen... 50 hour...

Love the analogy... as you really have to wait for the punchlines...

Maybe too esoteric @Channelcat ...

I couldn't find a meme or gif of "Suck the Poison" @SensibleGuy ...

So this one will have to do...

woody.jpg

And seeing that Woody readily admitted He made films to entertain himself... for @Channelcat ...

An esoteric... albeit possibly an admission to always entertaining himself... from Woody...

mast.gif

:laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
hmmm...ok then. lol. Did you watch Breaking Bad too? Neither seem anything at all like Woody Allen movies to me but whatever...
I loved BB. I understood Walter and Skylers motivation and desperation. With BCS I'm wondering why Kim is throwing her life away. Because her mom had a couple drink before dropping her off at school once? Thats as far as the character development got. And why are her and Jimmy destroying Howard? From what I can gather, they don't like his hair. And wtf is Mike doing? Go enjoy the grandkids ffs.

• Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
I loved BB. I understood Walter and Skylers motivation and desperation. With BCS I'm wondering why Kim is throwing her life away. Because her mom had a couple drink before dropping her off at school once? Thats as far as the character development got. And why are her and Jimmy destroying Howard? From what I can gather, they don't like his hair. And wtf is Mike doing? Go enjoy the grandkids ffs.
I think you're missing some subtlety in the show. Everyone has motivations for doing what they're doing, and the viewer is left to ask what they are. By the end of the series, those motivations will become clear.

Saul (Jimmy) has a myriad of connections to Howard and reasons for his angry relationship with Howard.

I really enjoyed Breaking Bad, but honestly, it was Walter White vs increasingly more menacing characters as his character arced. I enjoy the nuance of BCS quite a bit more personally. Plus we're all rooting for Jimmy (Saul), and at the end, most people just wanted Walter White dead.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I really enjoyed Breaking Bad, but honestly, it was Walter White vs increasingly more menacing characters as his character arced. I enjoy the nuance of BCS quite a bit more personally. Plus we're all rooting for Jimmy (Saul), and at the end, most people just wanted Walter White dead.
I had a tough time wishing Walter dead even as he set up his M60 carosel in the trunk of his car... its not a logical thing, I realize.:laugh:

I haven't seen anything of BCS, sounds like thats a winner. I appreciate the insights offered into its nuances.

Reactions: Huffer

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Actually, I agree with some of what you say there. I don't quite "get" Kim either. I think she's actually sort of a similar person to Jimmy...she enjoys "the game." She also has a convoluted desire to "make a difference." I'm wondering if in the end, it's Jimmy who breaks off with her because he feels she's gone over the edge (rather than the more predictable alternative of her dumping him which I've expected at several points already). He's sort of luke-warm about going after Howard any further.

Mike I don't think is such a mystery. He needed money. Wants to make sure his grand daughter is looked after, and was also sort of being low-key blackmailed by his daughter-in-law. That's what started him down the path. Before long he's beyond the point of no return. Plus, the kid is annoying! lol

I'm interested to see how they can bring the story to a close and tie things up. It's got to be incredibly difficult to write it all...I mean many of these characters (Saul and Mike included) were initially just supposed to be bit parts and one-offs in Breaking Bad. Hell, Mike's character only exists because Odenkirk wasn't able to commit to a fourth episode at the time. Mike's first appearance was supposed to be a Saul Goodman part. Now they have to create a backstory for him and tie them all together...

(surely, there HAS to be a scene this season where Walt is seen in the background of Crazy 8's dad's furniture store buying a bassinette doesn't there?? lol)

Nacho is a great character. And Lalo too...

Like I said earlier, I still think BB is the better show, but I'm enjoying BCS a lot. I do feel though that anyone planning to watch the shows should watch BB first and then Saul because a big part of the fun of BCS is seeing the origin stories of these characters you already know from BB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Royale With Cheese

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I had a tough time wishing Walter dead even as he set up his M60 carosel in the trunk of his car... its not a logical thing, I realize.:laugh:

I haven't seen anything of BCS, sounds like thats a winner. I appreciate the insights offered into its nuances.

I think Walt came back around to somewhat sympathetic in the last couple episodes. And of course, Jessie was easy to root for...

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Love BCS but agree with your confusion on some of the character motives. Howard, IMO, has been nothing but nice to Jimmy from the time he worked the mail room to becoming a lawyer. Even wanted to hire him.

Kim's motive for me has always been the rush from breaking the law and was confused when they brought the mother dropping her off at school as they didn't take it any further.

That was where Breaking Bad stood out from the rest, and BCS. Everything had a purpose, everything tied together flawlessly right to the very end, and made sense. You understood the decisions made, and regardless of the outcome or cost you could see yourself acting or doing the same under similar circumstances.

Still BCS is a very good show, and the last season has not disappointed thus far.

Reactions: Channelcat

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Anyone watching Outer Range starring Josh Brolin? Interesting show, finale airs tonight.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
That was where Breaking Bad stood out from the rest, and BCS. Everything had a purpose, everything tied together flawlessly right to the very end, and made sense. You understood the decisions made, and regardless of the outcome or cost you could see yourself acting or doing the same under similar circumstances.

Yep agree. The writing was tight! Tight tight tight! :laugh: Hmmm, Walt is sitting on his patio absently spinning a gun on the table. What's that all about? Then a few episodes later...OHHHHHHHH!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Some great TV series have struggled to conclude their story arcs in a fashion that lived up to the quality of the body of work. BB was one of the rare exceptions of an elite TV drama that wound down with a brilliantly crafted conclusion.

Second up for me would be The Wire. 5 brilliant seasons that told independent stories that intertwined perfectly to give you a whole view of street gangs, drug addicts, policing and schooling them along with the bs that politicians and the media play to control the narrative.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Second up for me would be The Wire. 5 brilliant seasons that told independent stories that intertwined perfectly to give you a whole view of street gangs, drug addicts, policing and schooling them along with the bs that politicians and the media play to control the narrative.
The Wire was an awesome show, very well done!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

The Wire was an awesome show, very well done!

I started watching The Wire because quite a few posters on our board recommended it. I thought it was a brilliant series once I adjusted to the stake out pace.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Went to.Doc Strange last night. Pretty well done. 7/10

Was hoping for more from the audience on an opening night though.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Anybody who enjoyed The Staircase documentary on Netflix. There’s a series (with actors) on Crave that’s very good.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Went to.Doc Strange last night. Pretty well done. 7/10

Was hoping for more from the audience on an opening night though.
All I hope for from a theatre audience is that they STFU while the show is on and stay off their stupid phones. And no noisy eating. And leave the damn kids at home! :wally:

:soap:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I thought they did a great job of the 1st season.

(edit)

sorry when I say first season I mean only season. From what I am to understand this was a one and done story or at least that was the original plan. There are all sorts of rumours about what to do with it since it has bee received so well.

One of the things that surprised me the most was how good Faith Hill and Tim McGraw were in their roles. Great acting. Isabel May as Elsa Dutton was one of the most well written and acted roles I have seen in a long time.
1883 was great although “woke” got inserted into a couple of the later episode.

supposed to be a second season of 1883 and also another spinoff of Yellowstone called 1932.

another Yellowstone spinoff coming is 6666 with Jimmy from Yellowstone set on the famous 6666 ranch!

I’m watching the 6th season of Better Call Saul but seems a little underwhelming so far. Old Mike really showing his age

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad