Tuukka Rask

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Holtby at $2,000,000 beat Halak at $3,400,000.

Mrazek at $550,000 beat Bishop at $2,400,000.

Hopefully Darling wins tonight as well ($570,000 versus Rinne's $7,000,000).

Bottom line, "elite" goalies like Tuukka Rask are overpaid.

You do know that those guys(holtby) will get paid a lot, how will you keep them for more than 1-2 years? Do we change goalies after every season and hope for the best?

Rask was the same in his cup final year, look what happened, same will happen to those if they play that well.

Also Nashville is missing Weber+Fisher but don't mention that.

Go and tell montreal to trade Price for Hammond, or Nashville to trade Rinne for Chad Johnson while you are at it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd be fine giving Rask $7 million if he could step it up when it matters, but he can't. He's definitely overpaid.

?

I just don't get this, finals in his 1st real season as a number 1 goalie, president's trophy+vezina on his 2nd year, on a 3rd year he gave this team chance to get into playoffs with bergeron.

How many goalies have done more in their 1st 3 seasons as a starter?
How can he be a choker in the regular season when every game was a must win game and if he dared to lose one he got called a choker right away because he couldn't win every .......... must win game.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yup.

People need to get their brains out of 2011.

Rask is locked long term and it will continue through his prime, not past his prime but in his prime at 7M, Price will get a huge contract that will take him past his prime, Rinne is at 7M, King is at 8.5M, take a look at Bob, Holtby will get close to this money and has done nothing close to these guys.

You want elite then you have to pay for it and this is average money for elite goalie.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
How ballsy of Chicago to play their $0.5 million goalie over their $6.5 million Stanley cup stalwart. Could've done that with Khudobin and not miss a beat, but that's water under the bridge.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
How ballsy of Chicago to play their $0.5 million goalie over their $6.5 million Stanley cup stalwart. Could've done that with Khudobin and not miss a beat, but that's water under the bridge.

Do you really think Khudobin could carry this team?

This place is crazier than I thought.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Did you watch Crawford in those 4 periods? He didn't give them an option to choose, 9goals and I'd say 7 softies.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I'd be fine giving Rask $7 million if he could step it up when it matters, but he can't. He's definitely overpaid.

2011 Playoffs

Tim Thomas 1.98 GAA .940%

2013 Playoffs

Tuukka Rask 1.88 GAA .940%

One guy is labeled a choker the other a hero cause his team scored more goals one year

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Rask still has the #1 all time s%:

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-goalies-all-time-save-percentage-leaders.html

This discussion is insane right now.

Also has the 3rd best Playoff SV% in NHL History at .930%

Tuukka also has the best Even Strength SV% in NHL Histroy at .934%

Also is 7th all time in NHL History in GAA 2.16 and has the best GAA of any active goalie

Also has the best Career Playoff GAA of any active goalie in the NHL at 2.10

But I'm sure any goalie could do what Tuukka is doing

Last edited:

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Tim Thomas in his career played 50 playoff games as a Bruin

In Games 1 thru 4 of the series with Timmy in net the Bruins averaged 3.03 Goals per game

In Games 5 thru 7 (18 games) of the series with Timmy in net the Bruins averaged 3.11 Goals per game

Tuukka Rask has played 47 playoff games as a Bruin

In Games 1 thru 4 of the series with Tuukka in net the Bruins average 3.13 Goals per game

In Games 5 thru 7 (15 games) of the series with Tuukka in net the Bruins average 1.99 Goals per game

Bruins offensive numbers in the playoffs:
---Chance to Clinch the Series
Tim Thomas in net 3.00 Goals per game
Tuukka in net 2.23 Goals per game

---Elimination game
Tim Thomas in net 3.60 Goals per game
Tuukka in net 2.40 Goals per game

Both goalies have almost identical career playoff numbers

But since the Bruins offense has been no where to be found in the playoffs when Tuukka is between the pipes he is label a bum who can't win the big game

If he gets the goal support Timmy did he will win us a Cup

Tuukka is as elite as they come

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
2011 Playoffs

2013 Playoffs

One guy is labeled a choker the other a hero cause his team scored more goals one year

While this is true, stats are stats, but they don't tell the whole story.

Not at all blaming Tuukka completely, but there have been some pretty clutch moments that he just didn't do it. 2010, the whole last half of the Flyer's series. 2013, last 2 minutes of the Chicago game. 2014, the last 2 games of the Montreal series.

Why are those games important? Because they are the games he needed to be clutch the most. Of course the team in front of him didn't do him any favors. But until he gets to the promised land, he'll be questioned when it counts most.

That said, do I think he can do it? Of course. I just question if the team in front of him is going to be good enough to do it again in the near future. 2011-2014 were our prime striking years, and unfortunately, I see us getting worse before we get better again. And I won't be blaming Tuukka for that, just the cyclical nature of the NHL.

PurpleShamrock

Dec 29, 2005
New England
So who is the backup for next year ? We definitely need one.

This. Yes, the Bruins do have a goaltending issue, but it doesn't lie with their starting goalie. I agree that his play wasn't quite up to par with what it was in his Vezina-winning season. But looking up and down this roster, I'd say the starting goalie position is far and away the least of their worries. They need a more reliable backup for sure, so Tuukka doesn't have to handle the load that he did this year. But they also need to make changes to the rest of the roster, who frankly looked old, slow and soft.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
While this is true, stats are stats, but they don't tell the whole story.

Not at all blaming Tuukka completely, but there have been some pretty clutch moments that he just didn't do it. 2010, the whole last half of the Flyer's series. 2013, last 2 minutes of the Chicago game. 2014, the last 2 games of the Montreal series.

Why are those games important? Because they are the games he needed to be clutch the most. Of course the team in front of him didn't do him any favors. But until he gets to the promised land, he'll be questioned when it counts most.

That said, do I think he can do it? Of course. I just question if the team in front of him is going to be good enough to do it again in the near future. 2011-2014 were our prime striking years, and unfortunately, I see us getting worse before we get better again. And I won't be blaming Tuukka for that, just the cyclical nature of the NHL.

Your agenda is showing.

2013 game 6, I must have missed the part where Rask let multiple Hawks camp in front of the net untouched.

2014: the Bruins score one goal combined in games 6 and 7. ONE. And it somehow falls on Tuukka?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
?

I just don't get this, finals in his 1st real season as a number 1 goalie, president's trophy+vezina on his 2nd year, on a 3rd year he gave this team chance to get into playoffs with bergeron.

How many goalies have done more in their 1st 3 seasons as a starter?
How can he be a choker in the regular season when every game was a must win game and if he dared to lose one he got called a choker right away because he couldn't win every .......... must win game.

The problem is that people see a game go to OT and Rask lets one in and this is considered a choke (for whatever reason) when in reality if the team could've scored earlier and helped him out, this discussion would be moot.

Bottom line is I very rarely see Rask losing a game by himself. He keeps the team in the game 90% of the time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The problem is that people see a game go to OT and Rask lets one in and this is considered a choke (for whatever reason) when in reality if the team could've scored earlier and helped him out, this discussion would be moot.

Bottom line is I very rarely see Rask losing a game by himself. He keeps the team in the game 90% of the time.

Yes, if you try hard enough you can always find a reason to blame the goalie and call him a choker, pretty hard to win every game and especially this year when we had huge amount of D collapses.

We were 22nd in scoring and 9th against with this D, you get that scoring into 18-19 range and we are in the playoffs, and that is still a bad number.

When you balance 9th and 22nd we end up right here where we are, out of the playoffs.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
This. Yes, the Bruins do have a goaltending issue, but it doesn't lie with their starting goalie. I agree that his play wasn't quite up to par with what it was in his Vezina-winning season. But looking up and down this roster, I'd say the starting goalie position is far and away the least of their worries. They need a more reliable backup for sure, so Tuukka doesn't have to handle the load that he did this year. But they also need to make changes to the rest of the roster, who frankly looked old, slow and soft.

I know Svedberg only played in 18 games but in those games he only gave up more than 3 goals once. Did he really play that poorly that warranted Julien not giving him more starts. I keep hearing how bad our backup was but in the games I saw him play he wasn't that much worse than Chad Johnson last year.

Am I missing something and why didn't Claude cherry pick some more favorable matchups for him.

PurpleShamrock

Dec 29, 2005
New England
I know Svedberg only played in 18 games but in those games he only gave up more than 3 goals once. Did he really play that poorly that warranted Julien not giving him more starts. I keep hearing how bad our backup was but in the games I saw him play he wasn't that much worse than Chad Johnson last year.

Am I missing something and why didn't Claude cherry pick some more favorable matchups for him.

Point taken. His GAA (2.33) and save percentage (.918) really weren't bad. Now as far as the rest of the roster is concerned...

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
2011 Playoffs

2013 Playoffs

Yes. Its a coincidence that the Bs have had the two best goalies ever in a matter of 5 years. Nothing to do with the system. Disregard the fact that Khudobin & Johnson also had superb numbers. Rask is good, but he still has lots to prove.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It wasn't that our back-up was terrible, but he certainly didn't have the confidence of Julien to use him down the stretch in all those back-2-backs.

Svedberg got kind of a raw deal from Julien. Judging by his comments on clean-up day he wasn't please with his playing time, felt he deserved better. I would agree with that. He wasn't great, but certainly wasn't terrible.

Doesn't matter now, he's a Group VI UFA with options in Europe and possibly NHL teams so he's gone.

So we don't really need a "better" back-up, just one that Julien or his replacement have confidence in and will utilize properly to manage Rask's minutes. If Rask has to play 70 games and 8-9 back-2-backs next year this team is missing the playoffs regardless of what they do up front, on D, or behind the bench.

Probably best to go with someone with a decent amount of NHL experience. Some of the UFAs who might be looking for veteran back-up jobs this year include:

Anders Lindback
Thomas Greiss
Ray Emery
Michael Neuvirth
Dan Ellis
Viktor Fasth
Jonas Gustavsson
Jhonas Enroth
Curtis McElhinney
Jason Labarbara

I can't see any of these guys being terribly expensive to sign. If I had to pick one it would probably be Fasth. He wasn't good in Edmonton but that place pretty much eats goalies for breakfast. He looked decent when he was in Anaheim.

Sweeney Tard

Dec 6, 2011
Nobody has ever won a cup spending over 10% of the cap on their starting goalie. And if you have an exceptional defensive team and a young talented goalie, it's probably a good idea to take a chance and lock them up at a reasonable rate before they put up ridiculous numbers in your defense-first system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad