Tuukka Rask

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
And this season should have proved our struggles against Montreal aren't an issue of who is in our net...... but it's easier for people to just blame the goaltender. How people are fretting about Rask's goaltending after a season like this is mind blowing...... did we watch the same team this year???

I think had our D been up to scratch, the goaltending would have looked a lot better. It started with last seasons playoffs, our D is too predictable and Montreal have it figured out, how many stretch passes/breakaways do MTL get against us everytime we play that result in goals? The Bruins just lose all structure against MTL.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
No one has said that he deserves 0% of the blame.

Everyone had a bad season, but Rask and Bergeron were the top2 players on our team, easily this year, easily.

Now what is wrong is to blame Rask for this season and say he's a choker and we have to trade him if we want to win, how can anyone watch this season and say this?
Actually a poster did say Rask deserved 0% blame.

I don't think Rask was the main reason Bruins. I would put him near the bottom of the list.

All i said was i expect great from Rask. This year he was good.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Well if that's true then you woulda hoped our GM knew this when he signed him for 7 years at 7 million...

There's not a ****ing goalie in this league, that's going to be great every year, no matter how big or small his contract is. Come on now.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Actually a poster did say Rask deserved 0% blame.

I don't think Rask was the main reason Bruins. I would put him near the bottom of the list.

All i said was i expect great from Rask. This year he was good.

I have extremely high expectations towards Rask because I looked up to him while growing up here in Tampere. This team had so many problems/issues that I just can't put that much blame on Rask, like I earlier said I want to call out everyone but Bergeron and Rask are the players who would get the least blame.

We have to remember that he still had the same numbers as goalies who had their career years while playing behind much much better D's/teams than Rask had in his "off" year, so we have to admit that Rask is pretty ....... amazing :laugh:

There's not a ****ing goalie in this league, that's going to be great every year, no matter how big or sna his contract is. Come on now.

Yep, Look at Quick and his year, he also had a rough year for his standards. Rougher than Rask, look at Bishop last year versus this year.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Rask put us in a position to win more games than I can count this past season. It's not his fault the team couldn't capitalize. We would be talking about all the games he stole for us if the damn offense could have converted on some shots at key times. If anything, he's one of the few Bruins that earned their salary this year just based on impact on the team.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
There's not a ****ing goalie in this league, that's going to be great every year, no matter how big or sna his contract is. Come on now.

Agreed.

So my question is, does it make sense to build your team that has a goalie taking up ~10% (forget what the cap is this season versus next) and is relied on heavily or to have a better defense that can protect the house and keep pucks out by transitioning quickly?

Rask should have been signed to 4.5 for like 6 years in 2012

But now you have a goalie who can't (and you rightfully shouldn't expect ) carry the team to the tune of 10% if the 90% is ****

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
Agreed.

So my question is, does it make sense to build your team that has a goalie taking up ~10% (forget what the cap is this season versus next) and is relied on heavily or to have a better defense that can protect the house and keep pucks out by transitioning quickly?

But now you have a goalie who can't (and you rightfully shouldn't expect ) carry the team to the tune of 10% if the 90% is ****

I don't know how you think you get have gotten Rask signed to that contract....unless you signed him after the 2010 collapse year. There is no way he would have signed to 4.5 for 6 years unless Chiarelli and co. had incriminating pictures of him

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Agreed.

I see what you're saying, but I think instead of worrying about the 10% Tuukka takes up, you focus the percentage that the defense takes up, and work on fixing that. I would rather have both (a goalie that can carry the team and have a solid defense with a good transition game) but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. This year, we had to settle for a goalie to carry us, and he did for 80-85% of the time, but not having a solid defense backfired.

I feel like none of what I just typed makes sense, but I've been up since 3 AM so bear with me :laugh:

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Holtby at $2,000,000 beat Halak at $3,400,000.

Mrazek at $550,000 beat Bishop at $2,400,000.

Hopefully Darling wins tonight as well ($570,000 versus Rinne's $7,000,000).

Bottom line, "elite" goalies like Tuukka Rask are overpaid.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

You forgot 4.5 M dollar Hiller beating 800 K Lack?

Oh I see what you did, you had a agenda?

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Or 6.5 Price beating Anderson/Hammond in close games that have gone to OT.....

Or Lundqvist 8.5 beating Fleury in close low-scoring games......

Or the fact that half those goalies won their previous game in the same series but lets not use our brains and base everything on what happened tonight, lots of poorly paid goaltenders end up winning the cup for their team.......

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Or 6.5 Price beating Anderson/Hammond in close games that have gone to OT.....

Or Lundqvist 8.5 beating Fleury in close low-scoring games......

Hammond at $550,000 has outplayed Anderson at $3,500,000.

Lundqvist at $8,500,000 is way overpaid. The Rangers would be doing just as well, if not better, with Cam Talbot at $575,000.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Well, Ryan Miller at $6,000,000 is playing on his 3rd team in one calendar year and is not good enough to outplay Eddie Lack at $800,000.

You forget that Miller hurt his knee and not having a superior goalie (he's still not healthy) is one of the reasons they are down 3-1?

How is Buffalo doing without Miller?

St.Louis has won numerous cups in the last 5 years with a great team and underpaid goalies. Or was that on my play station?

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Hammond at $550,000 has outplayed Anderson at $3,500,000.

Lundqvist at $8,500,000 is way overpaid. The Rangers would be doing just as well, if not better, with Cam Talbot at $575,000.

Call Charlie Jacobs get Harry Sinden's number. See if he can find Blaine Lacher and bam the Bruins are set ...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
You forget that Miller hurt his knee and not having a superior goalie (he's still not healthy) is one of the reasons they are down 3-1?

St.Louis has won numerous cups in the last 5 years with a great team and underpaid goalies. Or was that on my play station?

I'd be fine giving Rask $7 million if he could step it up when it matters, but he can't. He's definitely overpaid.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site

The goalie has not made a difference for St. Louis one way or another.

Ryan Miller was there last season, and was just terrible in spite of his awesome overpaid goalie salary.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I'd be fine giving Rask $7 million if he could step it up when it matters, but he can't. He's definitely overpaid.

I'm not necessarily segueing that I love Rasks contract I wish he were in the 5.5 range. I just think it's assanine for him to throw out these ELC's or flash in the pans like a goalie doesn't matter ...

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I'm amazed that people still think that 7 million is overpaid.

Eventually, that's going to be the average, when the salary cap goes up.

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
http://imgur.com/a/uWx5I

Pretty cool infographic thing someone made, 3 points for being 1st star, 2 for 2nd star and 1 for 3rd star.

Rask 10 points ahead of any other Bruin (Bergeron in 2nd which is to be expected).

Chara with only 2 points all year, thats odd but I guess makes sense given his play.

So league-wide, players who have more stars of the match than Rask:

Price, Schneider, Tavares, Nash, Holtby, Ovechkin, Quick

Obviously the stars of the game aren't always 100% accurate but being 8th in the league here does prove how big he was for the Bruins this season.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'm amazed that people still think that 7 million is overpaid.

Eventually, that's going to be the average, when the salary cap goes up.

It's already becoming the average, with Bobrovsky signing close to 7,5 million. He put .918SV% last year and most Blue Jackets fans were afraid that he might get contract close to 8 million, so they were delighted.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don't know how you think you get have gotten Rask signed to that contract....unless you signed him after the 2010 collapse year. There is no way he would have signed to 4.5 for 6 years unless Chiarelli and co. had incriminating pictures of him

When he was still the backup?

You could have definitely got him long term for significantly less than what you had to do after he played for what was it like 2.5 the lockout year?

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI

Based on one night in round one?

Look at the last few finals. Quick-Lundquist, Rask-Crawford, Quick-Brodeur, Thomas-Luongo.

Only outlier there is Crawford and a case can be made for him as a top goalie

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Just flat out wrong, for the thousandth time....

...same playoff numbers as that bumbling choke artist Tim Thomas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad