Tuukka Rask

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
As die hards we probably all do not want to hear this but is anyone else concerned about RASK’s apparent lack of ability to handle pressure and rise to the occasion in BIG games. If anything, his performance seems to suffer when there’s more pressure to win. Not saying it’s time to move him, just pointing it out.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Long time Bs fan and big time Tuukka fan

All that said- until Tuukka has a record of winning ( and occasionally stealing) big games the book on him will be a Vezina-caliber regular season goalie who doesn't take it up a notch when the spotlight turns on.

And let's remember...most goalies don't hit their peak until their late 20s / early 30s so there is time for him to show us the crunch-time mentality

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Why do you type last names in all caps?

Just wonderin..

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
As die hards we probably all do not want to hear this but is anyone else concerned about RASK’s apparent lack of ability to handle pressure and rise to the occasion in BIG games. If anything, his performance seems to suffer when there’s more pressure to win. Not saying it’s time to move him, just pointing it out.

Well, you certainly wouldn't be the first, nor the last to point it out...

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
I love, adore tukka, wanted him to take place of timmy since long time. ( i was wrong )))))
But his psy problems against habs is really a big big problem,
If he is a vezina caliber and one of the best i want him to give his best games of years against worst ennemy
I dont mind if he shootout carolina and jets 8 times a years, against habs he is a desaster and it is the ONLY WAY I EVALUATE HIM

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Guy's a freakin head case. He'll be fine. But yes, he definitely has to step up more. Especially in the big ones. That game against the Habs was embarrassing on his sake. .783 save percentage is unacceptable for an elite goaltender.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
In any report, the surname is always in caps so there’s no confusion, force of habit for me now.

Gotcha. Anyway to answer your question, yeah I'm quite alarmed by his performances vs. MTL. Other opponents don't worry me as much though.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this argument pops up every few months it seems. the flaw with this logic is that it doesn't give Rask any credit for the big games he has won. He took us to within 2 wins of a Stanley Cup. In the process of doing so he shut down the most dangerous offense in the NHL and swept them only allowing 2 goals in 4 games. Explain to me how that's not stepping up when there's pressure.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Would I like to see him stone the Habs some night? Absolutely!

But in the overall scheme of things so far, he's at the bottom of my worries.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
pretty hard to stop the puck when guys are laying on you, shots are deflected or your own guy knocks them in.

I've yet to see any real softies this season.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
pretty hard to stop the puck when guys are laying on you, shots are deflected or your own guy knocks them in.

I've yet to see any real softies this season.

This.

Watched the game on DVR and two of the goals Rask was buried, once by McQ, the other by Sides after Bourque cross-checked him (should have been no goal GI). The second goal looked to be a high stick tip by Desharnais before it was jammed home (by Gallagher?). Fourth goal was a blown assignment by Griffith in the slot, and PAP put a laser just inside the post. Fourth goal went in off Gallagher after Max P fanned on a one-timer.

Maybe...maybe you could fault him on the second goal, but that was it.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
It's become quite convenient to look at Rask's record against Montreal and say well that's it, he just can't do it.....

The way this team can rarely put together a good game against them, it doesn't matter who is in the net. Give them enough games and their record is going to get sour pretty quick......

Our game play has weakened significantly over the past few years against them while they know exactly how to get the win. Block shots to frustrate our offense, Subban blast PPG, run Rask, Pac on the breakaway, Gallagher in the crease.

Lather rinse repeat.....

If you choose to believe another goaltender would swoop in and save this team from their own poor play be my guest. I don't buy it....

Rask's goaltending during the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the 2013 playoffs was incredible. The more experience he gets, the stronger he will get mentally. Not buying that he can't win big games.....

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not just him the habs match up well against us.

Now they have significantly more fire power up front. They are a good team.

Hopefully Rask figures it out in the playoffs against them I am sure we will see them this season.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Yes I'm concerned. He's not playing well. He's giving up soft goals. Hard to be happy about his level of play so far, but I have confidence in him. He'll get back to his usual level soon. Hopefully he gets this MTL thing out of his head though.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
As die hards we probably all do not want to hear this but is anyone else concerned about RASK’s apparent lack of ability to handle pressure and rise to the occasion in BIG games.

There are 29 starters who don't rise to the occasion in BIG games every season.

Not only elimination games and games against the rival are big games.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Tuukka has been caught a little deep in his crease a couple few times.

Considering the fact that since CJ began coaching this team, the high slot and inside the circles has had a GIANT black and gold flag on it 99.9% of the time. Tuukka isn't used to shooters suddenly being permitted to skate into that part of the ice unmolested, or have shooters standing in there wide open. Shouldn't be happening.

That said, have some of those been savable? Sure. But I'm not blaming Tuukka, that's our structure and coverage breaking down. Getting to rebounds when he gives you the first save would be nice, too.

Tuukka will be fine.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
As it stands now, Tuukka Rask is not a big game goalie.

The problem is, he's had a small sample size in which he has needed to be a big game goalie.

I'm not going to bother the statistics because the sample size is too small to make a career projection. He was awful down the stretch against Philly, bad against Toronto in game 7 (he was solid in games 1-6) and for the most part, did his job against Chicago in the cup final. He was meh against Montreal, but so was the whole team. (That tidbit also becomes a running theme against Toronto too, as noted by the multiple low scoring losses the Bruins took.)

The point i was going to make with the stats is that there's still plenty of time for him to evolve into a big time goalie. Not everyone can be a Patrick Roy or Marty Brodeur right out of the gate.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad