Turnover for next years squad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Also, a list of some defenders that JR can target (from cap teams that need to shed space):

--Braydon Coburn
--Tom Gilbert
--Nicklas Hjalmersson
--Johnny Boychuk
--Jason Demers (would love to get him, we could do an offer sheet).

Although, we aren't in great cap position ourselves. :cry:

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
ATTENTION

This summer, MATT CULLEN is a FREE AGENT.

Who else is prepared for the imminent return of the greatest 3rd line center the Carolina Hurricanes have ever had? :yo::yo::yo:

Wait, what? How exactly do you plan on reacquiring Sutter, and what does that have to do with Cullen?:sarcasm:

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Wait, what? How exactly do you plan on reacquiring Sutter, and what does that have to do with Cullen?:sarcasm:

O say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wav-I LOVE YOU MATT CULLEN!!!!111

How many times did Sutter get mentioned during any national anthem? None. None.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
When things go wrong, you don't get rid of the things that are working. You get rid of the things that aren't.

Tim Gleason with Faulk this year and Allen last year has done well playing against other teams top lines for quite some time now.

Joni Pitkanen is so good, he tricked some of us into thinking Jaime McBain might know how to play defense.

Gleason-Faulk
Piktanen-???
Harrison-???

That works. The problem has been the ???'s, and how bad they are at taking on more responsibility.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
When things go wrong, you don't get rid of the things that are working. You get rid of the things that aren't.

Tim Gleason with Faulk this year and Allen last year has done well playing against other teams top lines for quite some time now.

Joni Pitkanen is so good, he tricked some of us into thinking Jaime McBain might know how to play defense.

Gleason-Faulk
Piktanen-???
Harrison-???

That works. The problem has been the ???'s, and how bad they are at taking on more responsibility.

Insert Jones and Bellemore. Stop playing the 3rd pairing in one goal games, or in any special situations, or in any 3rd period, ever.

Problem solved.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The problem with counting on Joni next year is that he's played less than 1/2 the games these last two seasons. Even in his "healthy" years, he typically misses 10 games.

That said, next season is a contract season for him so maybe he'll play inspired.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
I saw today that Joacim Eriksson, another great goalie in Sweden, is in talks with NHL-teams. Flyers had the rights, but lost it a season ago or something. He didn't say which teams he's talking to, but I would like to see him here. Young, good and a swede!

I know I keep talking about players here in Sweden, but it's them I see the most and know how they are. And I would love to see some swedish players in this team, so media here writes more about Canes. ;)

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
BTW, I know exactly who Sam Jones is and he's not going to transform that group as a rookie... How many Rookie D make REAL impacts...
Makes me think of the guys who bag on grammer [sic] errors. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I think any overhaul on D starts with trading Pitkanen. He was pretty good before getting hurt but can't play top pair minutes and is only so-so on the PP. He should still have value to someone though. With Murphy being penciled in for next season, I see Joni as the odd-man out.

QuitStaaling

Jun 20, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
thenshl.com
Our defense will almost instantly go from league worse, to top 5 with Jones, Faulk, Murphy and ?. May take two years to reach that point, but assuming all the boys are healthy, we'll look completely different in the not too distant future. I fully expect JR to take Facale in the 2nd so there's another huge addition.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Our defense will almost instantly go from league worse, to top 5 with Jones, Faulk, Murphy and ?. May take two years to reach that point, but assuming all the boys are healthy, we'll look completely different in the not too distant future. I fully expect JR to take Facale in the 2nd so there's another huge addition.

Are you talking about the goalie, Fucale? I'm not sure he'll be there for our 2nd round pick, but I'm on board with that if he is available.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
After we lose the last 10 games and draft our future Stud top pairing D man. Where do we go? I think the following are the only real players who are safe or should be. I personally don't think either Staal should be completely off the table, we know they are. So my feeling the untouchables are

Estaal
Jstaal
Semin
Faulk
Ward

Lottery pick (unless traded for a #1D)

So where do we go? Obviously the D is a complete disaster as is out back up G situation. I like a lot of our D pieces individually but the group flat out sucks. Joni is probably the most valuable piece to trade and we probably need to find a buyer now that Faulk is maturing. I'd actually like to see Bellemore on the roster with Faulk and Murphy in Charlotte (JR won't let that happen though). I'm up for ditching all other active D men.

Ruutu gets amnesty buyout and then dump LaRose, Dwyer, Bowman, Brent, etc. trade Skinner if we get value.

I obviously don't know the answers and I'm not sure this heap of garbage can be fixed in one year, but what's everyone's thoughts?

I wouldnt mind seeing Tlusty stay either. He could be a solid third line center. Otherwise I agree with your untouchables. I would never want to see E. Staal be traded if truth be told. Also, this proves how underrated Cam is. If he was still healthy I know it wouldnt be THIS bad.

We just need some D help. A lot of D help.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Makes me think of the guys who bag on grammer [sic] errors. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I think any overhaul on D starts with trading Pitkanen. He was pretty good before getting hurt but can't play top pair minutes and is only so-so on the PP. He should still have value to someone though. With Murphy being penciled in for next season, I see Joni as the odd-man out.

I think you're going in the wrong direction. I think what we need is someone to pair with Pitkanen who is a real top 4 dman instead of the McBain/Sanguinetti potpourri of awfulness, so if Joni is out, the pairing doesn't go to hell.

You can't replace Pitkanen with Murphy. For the same reason we couldn't replace Pitkanen with McBain. Joni is good at everything. Murphy is going to be good at offense. I think people mistake Joni's lack of hitting for weakness or softness, but the guy is a big body, and knows how to use it to win battles along the boards and in front of the net.

In a perfect world:

Pitkanen/Faulk
Gleason/Mr. X (all defense guy)
Harrison/Murphy/Corvo

I've really liked Corvo's game this year when slotted on the bottom pairing. He's been pretty good in the 2nd pairing. Things just fall apart when he's asked to play in the top pairing. But I don't hold that against Joe.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
Unfortunately the Av's need defense as much if not more than the Canes. So if they have the pick before Carolina they are probably going to and should go with Jones.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
yeah. tlusty stays. but as 3rd line center? are you crack? (oh, no wait, thats meth, my bad). his only success has been with Staal. KEEP HIM WITH STAAL. He is money on that first line with Staal. Except for recently when they whole squad has sucked. Even so. he has, what is it, 5 goals in the last 15 games during which we have a total of maybe 15 goals? im not gonna look it up. my point is, the kid is hitting his stride this season alongside Eric and Semin. Both are staying for the next few seasons and will presumably be on the same line. Tlusty with those 2 has been wonderful. Our only solid guarantee for offense most nights. Pretty much EVERY night.

if we keep him, he stays on the top line

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I think you're going in the wrong direction. I think what we need is someone to pair with Pitkanen who is a real top 4 dman instead of the McBain/Sanguinetti potpourri of awfulness, so if Joni is out, the pairing doesn't go to hell.

You can't replace Pitkanen with Murphy. For the same reason we couldn't replace Pitkanen with McBain. Joni is good at everything. Murphy is going to be good at offense. I think people mistake Joni's lack of hitting for weakness or softness, but the guy is a big body, and knows how to use it to win battles along the boards and in front of the net.

In a perfect world:

Pitkanen/Faulk
Gleason/Mr. X (all defense guy)
Harrison/Murphy/Corvo

I've really liked Corvo's game this year when slotted on the bottom pairing. He's been pretty good in the 2nd pairing. Things just fall apart when he's asked to play in the top pairing. But I don't hold that against Joe.
But, as I see it, you'd still lack a legit 1st pairing guy to play with Faulk. That's why I'd like to see Pitkanen moved. I don't hold it against him that he doesn't hit but he simply isn't good enough positionally to play in the top pair, imo. I don't know if they are mental lapses or lacking some hockey sense but he gets on the wrong side of the puck too much for my liking. I also don't like his continued roaming, which gets you lit up vs. top lines.

I agree that defensively Murphy isn't going to eat up the minutes Joni plays but he'll take over his role on the PP and as the primary puck-mover in transition. I see you're going for balance as well, I'd just do it differently.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
So you think that Tlusty will only have success if he plays with Staal. So never in his career would he be able to anchor a 3rd line?

(I am not asking in a "I know more way" I am genuinely asking for an opinion)

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
So you think that Tlusty will only have success if he plays with Staal. So never in his career would he be able to anchor a 3rd line?

no what im saying is why in the **** would we move tlusty off of the top line unless we bring in someone very obviously a higher caliber winger than he is? he has done nothing but produce on the top line. maybe all he will have success as is a top line winger with Staal......is that too bad? i dont think so. can we possibly have a situation here where he, oh i dunno, tlusty becomes a legit top line winger? just a possibility

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

1) Tlusty really isn't a center. Have you been playing a little too much NHL 13 lately? :):laugh:

2) If he WERE a center, he could easily anchor his own 3rd line. He is that quality of player. The reason I want him with Staal isn't because I don't think he can be effective elsewhere, it's because he's an actual top 6 player. That's like saying the Pens think that Kunitz can only be effective with Crosby because they won't play him on the third line. I truly believe we've got something special with Tlusty, I think calling him a Kunitz-level player isn't out of the question, and I agree that he should be on the untouchable list. But the reason I don't want him on the third line is because I think he's a better player than that, not because I don't think he can do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad