TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
The survey uses terms like "paying attention to" and "following" the series. So, I don't actually believe 42% of the people are watching. I know among people I know personally, far fewer than 42% are watching the games. There's no way it's even close to that. I mean I know there are plenty of women who like to watch hockey, but a vast majority do not. And I seriously doubt that anywhere near half of men actually watch hockey.

Not to mention the fact that phrases like "paying attention", "following" and "closely following" are all pretty subjective.

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoblood

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I spent the week in Vancouver for a work trip and while the weather was okay (too cold for me having lived in Florida for a decade and was grey and rainy one of the days) I can tell the city doesn’t care about any team but the Nucks. I tried to find Panthers and Oilers gear I as support both but only found Nucks gear. My sports obsessed co-workers didn’t seem to care about the SCFs either.

To me, it's a pretty ideal climate. Never really goes much outside that prime operating range for me 5-20 degrees. Doesn't get nearly as hot or as cold as the prairies even, usually. Though everything's changing.

I don't mind the grey and rainy either. I kinda dig it tbh. It's less bright than getting blinded by pure sunlight reflecting off snow even though it's -30. lol. Or broad daylight 'till 11pm and right up again at 5am. But a lot of people can't handle it. Find it dreary and depressing. Everyone's got different preferences. I'd just die in Florida i assume.

But with Vancouver...the few months of "summer" that the rain stops definitely send people outdoors to do literally a million other things. It's just a quirk of the market. Doesn't even matter the sport. If the team isn't doing really well, and the weather is nice...people got other stuff to do.

Reactions: David71

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To me, it's a pretty ideal climate. Never really goes much outside that prime operating range for me 5-20 degrees. Doesn't get nearly as hot or as cold as the prairies even, usually. Though everything's changing.

I don't mind the grey and rainy either. I kinda dig it tbh. It's less bright than getting blinded by pure sunlight reflecting off snow even though it's -30. lol. Or broad daylight 'till 11pm and right up again at 5am. But a lot of people can't handle it. Find it dreary and depressing. Everyone's got different preferences. I'd just die in Florida i assume.

But with Vancouver...the few months of "summer" that the rain stops definitely send people outdoors to do literally a million other things. It's just a quirk of the market. Doesn't even matter the sport. If the team isn't doing really well, and the weather is nice...people got other stuff to do.
Concur. I do understand people who say the grey skies and rain from Nov to March is dreary and depressing. Especially if you come from somewhere sunny.

Tradeoff is that it typically does not get too hot/humid or cold save for the few days of the year. But, snow is a problem because of freezing rain creating black ice. Thus the snow compacts and it’s just ice. But still too many think they can drive in it causing unnecessary accidents.

Longer the season goes into June, less interest you’re going to have when your team isn’t in it. Especially once the weather picks up. If it’s not must see tv, won’t make the time to tune in.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A super unlikable team from alberta vs the Florida panthers wow I'm so shocked
Why are the Oilers unlikable? I honestly believe if another team had McDavid and Draisaitl I would love to watch them. Back in the day I loved to watch great players doing great things. Heck, I even liked rival teams if I watched great players, like the Sedins or Iginla.

Plus there's fun players like Kane and Hyman.

Or is it just that there were a few annoying posters from the Oilers fanbase?

Reactions: ujju2

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agree. Season should be over before the end of May. Not sure why they're starting the season so late now, playing into mid-June is ridiculous
The primary reason I’ve seen of the nhl beginning their regular season in October is to avoid as many weekends with the nfl for their USA based teams. Plus mlb PO are in full swing in September, plus NCAA football is also beginning in Sept. but realistically the nhl doesn’t get a big Puck Drop intro to the season.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Stanley Cup Finals has become a real momentum killer from start to finish with how long it takes to complete the series, all because there has to be two whole days off every time the series shifts cities. So many casuals are thinking ''Wait, it's still going on? Huh?''.

I think if there was one year where it was justified, this is probably it, because of how far Edmonton and South Florida are from each other.

But they've been doing this for close to 10 years now. They were even doing it by the Pittsburgh/Nashville finals, which is really not that far.

They'd be doing it even if it were Nashville and Carolina playing each other in the finals, which isn't far at all or even if it were Chicago/Detroit, which is almost across the street.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Dumb poll just meant to spark outrage. Who the f*** cares that your typical Canadian that never watches hockey isn't watching the Stanley Cup Finals? This is meant to make people believe that Canadian hockey watchers are tuning out these finals specificaly... A poll saying that Canadian hockey fans are watching this final less (or more) than others is really what's needed, but that's not what this is at all. Just some clickbait bullshit preying on people's ignorance about stats to create fake outrage.
Ya definitely backfired on the Vancouver OP,

Reactions: ujju2

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
+350M market versus 38M. Where do you think money is?
where did you make up those numbers from

With risk of sounding racist... I aint.. That's because half of that number aren't true Canadians *cough* immigrants.

Also Barkov > McDavid. Daggers (or double edged) blades are more valuable. Barkov owns the ice. Several other skaters deserve actual credit too.. esp the defense.

In my personal opinion Bobrovsky is getting too much credit. Judge a tender by the quality of their saves, and almost never letting soft goals. Panthers defense is boosting him up. Also that's not to say Bobby isn't in the 'elite' goaltenders club.

But would you take Bob over Shisterkin? I would not.

Apologies for going off topic. The game thread is closed for some reason
All of NA are immigrants,

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The last game should be on July 4th with the second last game on July 1st. Hopefully it's a Canadian team vs. an American team. And just to make it interesting some contracts will have expired so you better back up the Brinks truck if you want say McJesus to lace up his skates.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Cant speak for all of Canada but here in Van, almost everyone i know through the hockey community ( beer league, coaching, friends etc) are not watching the games at all. They might tune in to Sportcentre at the end of the night to see the score and highlights but thats about it. Summer weather is here with plenty of things to do and its hard to convince people to watch a game that their team is not playing in.
I mean isnt this what everyone does? I never watch the finals if my team isn’t involved.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
11 pages of comments about 58% of Canadians not watching the cup finals yet 20% of them watching are canuck fans hoping that the oilers crash and burn so they can feel good about themselves.

So much for Edmonton being " Canada's team", I guess the Boston Pizza commercials didnt work

How fitting that a Canuck fan started this thread.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Why do I have to watch the Cup final if I am hockey fan? In my post I mentioned that I watched a few minutes of other teams games, not just my team (Leafs). It's summer here.....it's been hot and sunny and there are things that can be done other than watching hockey. A week off between rounds doesn't help.

Not all Canadians eat, sleep, breathe hockey - that's a media stereotype/hype. Not every Canadian is going to automatically cheer for a Canadian team just because they are in the finals.

No matter how much sports media in Canada wants you to think, even with a Canadian team in the finals....the Stanley Cup finals isn't as big a deal as they want you to think it is. Now.....put 2 Canadian teams in the finals....that might be a different story.
The problem is while it's June and nice out I don't buy these excuses. Somehow the NBA runs at the same time and people tune into the NBA finals.

IMO the issue is many hockey fans in Canada only car about their team.

Reactions: Cams and voxel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad