TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The only time all of Canada was on board for a Canadian team in the finals was 2004 with the Flames because it had been 11 years since Canadian team won the cup. It was kinda there for 2006 as well though not as much. By 2007 with the Sens, the novelty had really worn off.

Cheering just for a Canadian team has hardly ever been a thing for Canadians and been about as common as typical bandwagon jumping for American teams for casual fans.

Back then, Canadians still had hope for their future.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Such a weird take. If it’s actually true 42% of Canadians have watched isn’t that ridiculously good viewing numbers?

Reactions: Neil Racki

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
90% of them are Canuck fans having the fear of death that Edmonton had a chance to win a cup lol. Smaller chance now. Their lives would be ruined and CGY's if Edmonton won that thing.

Small consolation being an Oilers fan was kicking the snot out of Vancouver 2 rounds ago. Those fans dominate Twitter.

Imagine just crap talking a team daily, who dusted you 2 rounds ago

Learned something new today........apparently winning a playoff round in 7 games (6 games by 1 goal) is considered "dusting" your opponent - total domination.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
42% is a f*** ton lol

That was my reaction.

Pretty certain the 40% that is watching are Albertans. The East coast and BC aren't watching.

Anecdotally, lots here in BC are watching. Lots of random people I know who don’t even watch hockey are watching. Prospera place here in Kelowna where the Rockets play is hosting watch parties. Kelowna has a particularly high Albertan population for a town in BC but still.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

"While American viewership for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on Saturday night was somewhat middling, it was a somewhat different story north of the border.

A strong showing in Canada propelled Game 1 to 7.1 million North American viewers per the NHL, the most-watched Stanley Cup Final Game 1 since 2019, and an increase of 43 percent overall from last year."

Canadian fans are just lying in these polls.
I don't think they're necessarily lying.

It says "Canadians." At least 50% of people don't give a f*** about sports.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I know a lot of people who watch it, but usually not the whole game and they watch it because it's hockey and don't care one way, or another who wins. I think some lean towards Edmonton because they want McDavid to win one, but that's mostly it.

I don't think TSN/Sportsnet/NHL realize how much these playoffs have sucked. The games are mostly boring. There's no animosity. There's no big skill plays going on like the NHL wanted.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The East Coast is definitely not watching. I mean puck drop is at 8:20. You might watch the first period once the baby asleep. But when McLean comes on between the first and second, it's time to go night-night for sure.

Late starts are gonna kill the NHL.
Wrong, the east coast doesn’t go to bed at 9pm

Reactions: AvroArrow

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

"While American viewership for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on Saturday night was somewhat middling, it was a somewhat different story north of the border.

A strong showing in Canada propelled Game 1 to 7.1 million North American viewers per the NHL, the most-watched Stanley Cup Final Game 1 since 2019, and an increase of 43 percent overall from last year."

Canadian fans are just lying in these polls.
42% of Canada is still like 16m people, which is still a ton. Doesn't mean they're lying

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
So 42% are watching? Hey, that’s pretty good.

I do think the nhl is on the wrong side of history regarding dirty play. Barkov is probably concussed, but he’ll play through it. Drai should be suspended, he isn’t. It might drive viewership this year, but long term I think some folks are sick of this shit. Physical play is fine, but we know better about head injuries now. I don’t like supporting this shit, but hockey itself rules, so.. shoot.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Heck, if my team isn’t playing, I choose to just watch highlights afterwards. There’s only so much hockey per year I can watch.

Like… how many nice summer nights do I get with my dog in his lifetime? Hanging outside with him (and I guess some human loved ones as an afterthought) is more important.

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
...if it was 2 US teams battling obviously better numbers or if a NY, Philly, Boston was facing Vancouver or Colorado, Vegas, Chicago was facing Toronto it would do better numbers.

Middle America and the South only know of Toronto and Montreal and a few more know Vancouver. Nobody knows Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg no offense. People think Ottawa is the "state" of Toronto lol

Nba as a better product that's why Americans aren't watching . I hate basketball but on TV the presentation is A++++

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Such a weird take. If it’s actually true 42% of Canadians have watched isn’t that ridiculously good viewing numbers?
Seems like a very good following tbh. Almost half the country is invested in a SCF involving a Sunbelt team and a non-Toronto/Montreal Canadian team? I think Sportsnet would be very happy with that.

Reactions: Deas

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
...if it was 2 US teams battling obviously better numbers or if a NY, Philly, Boston was facing Vancouver or Colorado, Vegas, Chicago was facing Toronto it would do better numbers.

Middle America and the South only know of Toronto and Montreal and a few more know Vancouver. Nobody knows Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg no offense. People think Ottawa is the "state" of Toronto lol

Nba as a better product that's why Americans aren't watching . I hate basketball but on TV the presentation is A++++
So, what are you saying, American’s are dumb and don’t know Geography,

So should Canadians be as dumb then, on American cities, and not watch hockey, if it’s 2 US teams.

If Americans don’t want to watch the best player in the world, then that’s their issues.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's June...I have other stuff to do.

If I was an Oilers fan, I would be invested 100%

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Those tuning in to see McDavid roast the Panthers have been disappointed so far.
Thats me. Was really hoping to get a good look a McDavid as I dont get to see him play much in the regular season.

Saturday night prime time national TV game 1 of Stanley Cup Finals .. and McDavid and co. got shut out.

What a f***ing dud and missed opportunity

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Good for you , what are you doing from 8:30 pm at night.
Easier if you just said your a leafs fan , and not a hockey fan.

Shift work, we're not all off and sitting at home comfy at 8:30 :)

I used to watch every game but more responsibilities etc now too, even on the off-days...being an adult sucks lol.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Good for you , what are you doing from 8:30 pm at night.
Easier if you just said your a leafs fan , and not a hockey fan.

I don’t think it’s fair to get on people for that. For me, there is another major sports team in town and I prefer to watch more Jays than the SC final. Doesn’t mean that I don’t care and don’t watch here and there. I just need to be emotionally invested in order to watch a game intently from start to finish that's why the Jays get more priority.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I don’t think it’s fair to get on people for that. For me, there is another major sports team in town and I prefer to watch more Jays than the SC final. Doesn’t mean that I don’t care and don’t watch here and there. I just need to be emotionally invested in order to watch a game intently from start to finish that's why the Jays get more priority.
To be fair, your avatar picture is pretty damning lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Suntouchable13

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
90% of them are Canuck fans having the fear of death that Edmonton had a chance to win a cup lol. Smaller chance now. Their lives would be ruined and CGY's if Edmonton won that thing.

Small consolation being an Oilers fan was kicking the snot out of Vancouver 2 rounds ago. Those fans dominate Twitter.

Imagine just crap talking a team daily, who dusted you 2 rounds ago
If your consolation prize involves deluding yourself into thinking that you "kicked the snot" out of team by winning a game 7 by one goal – when they were missing their Vezina-caliber goaltender and leading goalscorer, along with an injured #1C – then there's not much there to console yourself with. Looks like that series was your Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad