TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
Dumb poll just meant to spark outrage. Who the f*** cares that your typical Canadian that never watches hockey isn't watching the Stanley Cup Finals? This is meant to make people believe that Canadian hockey watchers are tuning out these finals specificaly... A poll saying that Canadian hockey fans are watching this final less (or more) than others is really what's needed, but that's not what this is at all. Just some clickbait bullshit preying on people's ignorance about stats to create fake outrage.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I am also not watching...when my favourite teams are not involved, it's simply a boring mystery to be solved...let it unfold. In fact...I find modern NHL playoffs completely boring...what would my 20-something self think of that!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Like 1/4th of the country was born in places where hockey is practically unheard of.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Wait, 42% of Canadians are watching the finals? That's pretty huge, almost half of the country.

Right? Edmonton's population is like, 1M people.

That's a whole lot of non-edmontonians watching the Finals.

Also, realistically, what's the proportion of the population that follows hockey all year long?

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I know a lot of people who watch it, but usually not the whole game and they watch it because it's hockey and don't care one way, or another who wins. I think some lean towards Edmonton because they want McDavid to win one, but that's mostly it.

I don't think TSN/Sportsnet/NHL realize how much these playoffs have sucked. The games are mostly boring. There's no animosity. There's no big skill plays going on like the NHL wanted.
Do you understand how the Stanley Cup is won? The players don’t give two shits about your feelings. Sorry but not sorry. Maybe find a different sport to watch.

Reactions: nucks88

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I would say more than that aren’t watching….

Game 1 to Game 3 L2R-
CAN: 4.0M / 3.3M / 3.1M or 3.2M
U.S.: 3.1M / 3.6M / 3.4M

Smaller Canadian market is getting kicked by viewership for…….. Florida Panthers

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not sure about this stat.. 42% Canadians watching is likely not accurate.. 42% of albertans aren't even watching.. one can safely argue that 42% of people in Edmonton aren't even watching.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
One day or another... NHL will be ONLY anAmerican thing with some additional Canadian city never winning.
Get use to it!
+350M market versus 38M. Where do you think money is?

PuckLuckCup

Jun 15, 2024
I think the 42% statistic isn't true at all. People are probably just saying they are somewhat following or closely following because they are Canadian and they feel that saying they are following is the socially acceptable answer.

I have a wide social/professional network, and nobody I know watches hockey or follows hockey once the local team is eliminated. And there are so many people that don't even watch hockey or follow hockey even when their city is still playing. These people hate sports altogether.

StrmSurge

Kochetkov
Mar 19, 2019
Walhalla, SC
With risk of sounding racist... I aint.. That's because half of that number aren't true Canadians *cough* immigrants.

Also Barkov > McDavid. Daggers (or double edged) blades are more valuable. Barkov owns the ice. Several other skaters deserve actual credit too.. esp the defense.

In my personal opinion Bobrovsky is getting too much credit. Judge a tender by the quality of their saves, and almost never letting soft goals. Panthers defense is boosting him up. Also that's not to say Bobby isn't in the 'elite' goaltenders club.

But would you take Bob over Shisterkin? I would not.

Apologies for going off topic. The game thread is closed for some reason

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
They poll'd people , you're talking about network viewership which can be more inaccurate as alot of their numbers are counted by the TV just being on in the background while people are doing whatever else in their homes.
The network viewership numbers compare like to like. Yes people may have the TV on in the background but there is no reason to believe that is more prevalent this year than in past years.
They poll'd people , you're talking about network viewership which can be more inaccurate as alot of their numbers are counted by the TV just being on in the background while people are doing whatever else in their homes.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
nobody likes to watch hockey in june enough said. various factors like own team not in it. going outside with nice weather. other things to do besides sitting and watching a game . end this in may. and start in september like everyone says
I like watching hockey in June.

Also - it’s the finals. Most peoples teams are not in it. Just like in basketball. Football. Baseball. Soccer.

The weather in May is very nice so if the season started a month earlier it wouldn’t really change much.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Cant speak for all of Canada but here in Van, almost everyone i know through the hockey community ( beer league, coaching, friends etc) are not watching the games at all. They might tune in to Sportcentre at the end of the night to see the score and highlights but thats about it. Summer weather is here with plenty of things to do and its hard to convince people to watch a game that their team is not playing in.

This is more or less why Vancouver continues to be described as a "fair weather sports market". Literally and figuratively. :laugh:

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This is more or less why Vancouver continues to be described as a "fair weather sports market". Literally and figuratively. :laugh:
I spent the week in Vancouver for a work trip and while the weather was okay (too cold for me having lived in Florida for a decade and was grey and rainy one of the days) I can tell the city doesn’t care about any team but the Nucks. I tried to find Panthers and Oilers gear I as support both but only found Nucks gear. My sports obsessed co-workers didn’t seem to care about the SCFs either.

Reactions: Jason316

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad