TSN’s Top 50 NHL Players for 2024-25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Matthews and the rest of the Leafs deserve the criticism for underperforming come playoff time and only advancing past round 1 (once) so far.

The same Draisaitl that completely disappeared in the Stanley Cup Finals?

0 points in game #1 (Oilers lose 3-0)
0 points in game #2 (Oilers lose 4-1)
0 points in game #3 (Oilers lose 4-3)
2 assists in game #4 (Oilers win 8-1)
0 points in game #5 (Oilers win 5-3)
1 assist in game #6 (Oilers win 5-1)
0 points in game #7 (Oilers lose 2-1)

On the biggest stage of his hockey career, he was a complete no show. Same cannot be said for McDavid, MacKinnon and Kucherov.
I really wonder if people actually followed the playoffs when Draisatl had both a broken rib and finger, hell 80% of the posters here couldn't type a post with a broken rib it's hard to just breathe with one.

If you didn't know that then that's fair you can rescind your mistake here then.

But sadly others keep bringing this up when they know the facts about his health.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
why do people in Toronto have a hard time understanding that good players get overrated in that market, simply due to the size of the market?

TSN and Sportsnet, whether they own the team or not, know that by pumping up Leafs players they will draws eyeballs and clicks, which generates revenue for their companies.

It's not bias, it's business and those networks know who butters their bread. keep Leafs fans happy and they will continue coming to their sites.
Sure but big market players play in NY as well right?
I'd bet a paycheck that if Matthews played in Utah or Dallas or Carolina, he's not that high on the list. Unfortunately we can't test that theory and Leafs fans will continue to say he's ranked where he should be and non-Leafs fans will continue to say he's overrated due to the market.
If Matthews played on any of those 3 teams there would be what 50-70% less hate for him that borderlines on ridiculous from fan bases that hate the Leafs one would guess.

The guy has won 3 od the last 4 Richard trophies and has played some decent 2 way hockey among top goal scorers so people need to stop minimizing that and then exaggerate his playoff woes as was pointed out upthread.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Because playoffs are way more intense and everyone tries their hardest and it's the actual best teams in the league competing against each other. Pretty easy to see why playoffs performance should count for a lot more.
So I guess players that don't make the playoffs shouldn't be included on any top 50 list then?

Everyone plays in the regular season and plays different opponents so teams like LA not being able to get by a powerhouse like the Oilers isn't reflective of any of their star players individual abilities as teams advance not individual players.

Take amateur drafting for instance they just don't pick the players who had the best playoffs they actually consider how good a player is and how good they can become right?

where’s Ovechkin ?
The poll asked top 50 not top 500.

If you have an argument for him being in the top 50 please make it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I was expecting only pasta but am hoping Necas and Hronek start entering the late 40s
I doubt that Hronek ever gets top 50 and Necas might have a better chance but I doubt it as well.

Necas in his best year so far didn't even hit top 50 in scoring and he is going to be 26 in the new year.

If Ovechkin isn’t in the top 50, neither is Stamkos.
This argument isn't really very strong as Stamkos was 43 (he wouldn't be on my list personally) but he had 81 points last year so how exactly does Ovi stack up?

Last edited:
Reactions: Beau Knows

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
So I guess players that don't make the playoffs shouldn't be included on any top 50 list then?

Everyone plays in the regular season and plays different opponents so teams like LA not being able to get by a powerhouse like the Oilers isn't reflective of any of their star players individual abilities as teams advance not individual players.

Take amateur drafting for instance they just don't pick the players who had the best playoffs they actually consider how good a player is and how good they can become right?
True but when there are players who prove that they can't do it when it becomes harder while others can and you have tangible proof of that, there is absolutely no reason to ignore that data when deciding who you'd rather have for the entire season (regular + playoffs). Sure it will be unknown with non-playoffs teams, but what can you do? The solution isn't to scrap the most important part of the season when evaluating players.

Reactions: Letsdothis

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
True but when there are players who prove that they can't do it when it becomes harder while others can and you have tangible proof of that, there is absolutely no reason to ignore that data when deciding who you'd rather have for the entire season (regular + playoffs). Sure it will be unknown with non-playoffs teams, but what can you do? The solution isn't to scrap the most important part of the season when evaluating players.
You are talking in such general terms that it's hard to understand your point here.

The most important thing in evaluating any player is their skillset and production over a large sample not a smaller one where they only play one team or at maximum 4 teams.

In the 20-21 season McDavid scorched the league and the Oilers lost in 4 games to the Jets, was McDavid not the #1 player in the NHL that year?

Is it even really a question?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You are talking in such general terms that it's hard to understand your point here.

The most important thing in evaluating any player is their skillset and production over a large sample not a smaller one where they only play one team or at maximum 4 teams.

In the 20-21 season McDavid scorched the league and the Oilers lost in 4 games to the Jets, was McDavid not the #1 player in the NHL that year?

Is it even really a question?
A larger sample would include playoffs, not ignore them. That's the point being made.

Reactions: Realgud

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
A larger sample would include playoffs, not ignore them. That's the point being made.
Not sure why you are quoting me as I'm not ignoring them but to say that playoffs are the largest component of the anyaslsis of who is currently on the NHL top 50 list is ludicrous and that was the argument I responded to.

In the last 4 seasons AM has 31 more goals than the second place guy in the regular season and is also 6th in points over that time frame, people wanting to knock him out of the top 10 for playoffs are just out to lunch.

Reactions: Lemontree

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not sure why you are quoting me as I'm not ignoring them but to say that playoffs are the largest component of the anyaslsis of who is currently on the NHL top 50 list is ludicrous and that was the argument I responded to.

In the last 4 seasons AM has 31 more goals than the second place guy in the regular season and is also 6th in points over that time frame, people wanting to knock him out of the top 10 for playoffs are just out to lunch.
You certainly seem to be ignoring them when you don't seem to want to acknowledge that AM being 42nd in playoff goals and 38th in playoff points over that same time frame might in fact knock him out of the top 10.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's a players list based on overall performance on how they rank and with only 16 teams making the playoffs why wouldn't regular season play be paramount in evaluating these players?
Because if it is regular season only then the ranking of the three Leafs is pretty reasonable. If you prioritize the playoffs one disappears and the other two are a lot lower. Even just including the playoffs knocks all three down a fair bit.

Depending on how much you like or dislike the Leafs you put more of less emphasis on the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad