Speculation: Trouba's No Trade List

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Some kharmic payback for the Rangers IMO. Fox and Trouba forced their way into MSG, using the system in place. Now Rangers have a problem on their hands as the player is using the system to stay put or at least force some sort of sweetener.

I'm all for the players getting all they can get, but dislike this guy's headhunting and dirty play. He provides a needed element but goes overboard..Way overpaid now for his role.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Pionk has been better than Trouba since that trade, they got a first round pick, and they avoided a huge contract liability.

Seems like a pretty lopsided trade to me.

It's really simple, Pionk isn't good (no one in NY misses this guy) and the 20th pick didn't materialize into anything.

At the time, the trade was worth it. Didn't turn out quite how Rangers wanted, but they built some decent teams and went on a couple really good runs with Trouba, who had ups and downs.

Right now, I think Trouba retained down to ~6M would get a lot more interest around the league than Pionk if both were on the block.

• Haha
Reactions: hn777

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
As many are aware, the Rangers are supposedly looking to trade Jacob Trouba now that his NMC has shifted to a 15-team no-trade list. It is being reported that Trouba does not want to leave NYC though, in part because his wife has one more year of her residency there (which makes it extremely difficult for her to relocate), plus they have an infant son.

Assuming this is all the case, how might Trouba had structured his 15-team no trade list in a way that makes it the most difficult for the Rangers to move him without him (which is his right that a lot of players leverage) this offseason and which teams not on his list might have interest in trading for him.

Here's my best guess as to which teams he might have included on his list, which was due 12 hours before the start of UFA:

Teams Mostly Likely on his No Trade List:

Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, Utah, Anaheim, Calgary, Buffalo, Columbus, Seattle, Ottawa, Montreal.

That's 11 teams that all have the cap space to take on most if not all of his contract, plus the Red Wings were rumored to have interest in him.

Other Possible No Trade Teams:

I'll guess the last 4 are Edmonton, Carolina, St. Louis and Nashville - keeping in mind that Nashville had a ton of cap space heading into free agency. Could easily see Philly being on the list though, given their amount of cap space and being part of a rebuild. But, let's go with this for now.

This leaves us with...

Possible Destinations

Vegas, Toronto, Washington, Vancouver, Minnesota, Tampa, Colorado, NJ, Florida, LA, Pittsburgh. These 11 teams are all more or less capped out and/or set at RD, so it's hard to imagine any of them having remotely any interest in Trouba, even with the Rangers retaining.

That leaves 5 teams: Islanders, Philly, Dallas, Boston & Winnipeg.

Tough to see them making a trade with the rival Islanders, but if there's a bad contract coming back maybe something could be worked out and it's probably the best destination for Trouba as he would not have to move. Philly wouldn't be too far either, but again...this could be a team on his No Trade List. Dallas and Boston seem set at RD and I can't see Winnipeg having any interest in bringing him back after he forced his way out.

Curious to see if this is how others would have it structured or which teams might be willing to ma
What exactly NYR want ?
Do they want another D man ?
Pick only to dump his contract ?

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
They are valued members of the community until their cap space is needed at which point they are selfish and greedy thieves.

Other things I've learned in this thread, a NTC/NMC should become irrelevant whenever the team decides it's time to move on. It should only be valid so long as the team has no intention of moving the player anyway.

A player should be willing to give up what's best for himself and his family, for the good of the team that no longer wants him and thinks he's garbage.

Oh, and a hockey career is far more important than a medical one.

Now I'm waiting for the good old Edm-Pronger argument that the best solution is he should just get a divorce so she can keep her career, he can make decisions without having to factor in anything but hockey, and the team can benefit.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Other things I've learned in this thread, a NTC/NMC should become irrelevant whenever the team decides it's time to move on. It should only be valid so long as the team has no intention of moving the player anyway.

A player should be willing to give up what's best for himself and his family, for the good of the team that no longer wants him and thinks he's garbage.

Oh, and a hockey career is far more important than a medical one.

Now I'm waiting for the good old Edm-Pronger argument that the best solution is he should just get a divorce so she can keep her career, he can make decisions without having to factor in anything but hockey, and the team can benefit.
I'm no fan of Trouba the player but he specifically wanted the contract he did because of his wife's medical career. As you've noted, what she does is societally much more important than what he does. Beyond that, it's just a simple application of the contract. The team has its options and he has his. It's unprofessional to go beyond that if you are either party. My guess is that Trouba finishes out this season on the Rangers and then they can move him afterwards. The two sides should discuss it but it would seem that making sure his wife can finish her residency program in peace and they can both be involved in the care of their infant is not an unreasonable position to take. If I'm the Rangers I'd see if we can salvage a relationship where the team agrees not to trade him at all this season and in return he drops to maybe a 10 team no trade list on June 15th so they have some time to explore their options after the season. Both sides have some room to move here. Free agency is over and it's unlike the Rangers would get a significant upgrade on Trouba for this upcoming season at this point. That window has likely closed. Just make the best of it for both sides. The worst part is if the MSG faithful will boo him at times. Hopefully this quietly fades away and gets resolved after the season.

Reactions: HBK27

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Funny that Pionk has outscored Trouba since the trade at a much lower cap hit

Pionk: 366 GP, 177 P, +18
Trouba: 340 GP, 130 P, +19
Much lower cap hit? 8M vs 5.875M.

Pionk has like, 15 more ES points than Trouba over those 5 years. Want to compare Blocks? 768 vs 490. 23 more Hits from Trouba. 42 Less giveaways in 26 less games played, all while playing tougher minutes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Much lower cap hit? 8M vs 5.875M.

Pionk has like, 15 more ES points than Trouba over those 5 years. Want to compare Blocks? 768 vs 490. 23 more Hits from Trouba. 42 Less giveaways in 26 less games played, all while playing tougher minutes.
Pionk's first two years with the Jets were at $3m. So it's 6 years, $29,500,000 total for Pionk, vs 7 years, $56,000,000 for Trouba.

I stand by statement.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Nurse(15% retained) + 2025 1st round pick + Bourgault for Trouba;)

In all seriousness, If Nurse had 2 years on his contract as well.. I swap of the 2 players would be beneficial to both clubs imo

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
They didn’t give him contractual protection to say he wouldn’t report to the teams not on his NTC list. Its bush league on Trouba’s part, no way around it

How about you show all of us where this happened.

Or are you just referencing Brooks' speculation that he may not report and twisting that into somehow Trouba's agent actually saying this to teams?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Or are you just referencing Brooks' speculation that he may not report and twisting that into somehow Trouba's agent actually saying this to teams?
How about you show all of us it didn't happen.

A bunch of teams showing interest turns into all of a sudden nobody showing interest. Not hard to connect the dots

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

A bunch of teams showing interest turns into all of a sudden nobody showing interest. Not hard to connect the dots

What teams were showing interest? I've heard about the Red Wings, but that came out before his no trade list was due so he could've easily just squashed that by putting them on his list. What other teams were allegedly showing interest?

Trouba has a veteran NHL agent - you really think that he's actually going around to teams and telling them his client would not report if he's traded there? If the NHL got wind of that, there could be serious repercussions for the agent and the Rangers might even have cause to terminate the contract. It makes such little sense to think this is actually happening.

The fact is that all you're going off of right now is this line from Larry Brooks:

"There is no guarantee that Jacob Trouba would accept a trade even to a club on his approved list if that means leaving his wife and nine-month-old (as of training camp) behind. It is not as if Dr. Tyson-Trouba can pick up, transfer her credits to another hospital, accompany her husband and still be licensed as a physician."

That's it! That's all you are basing this off of, right?!?!?

"There is no guarantee..."

Pure speculation on Brooks' part. Yet somehow, you and others are twisting this quote into Trouba's agent telling teams that he would not report if traded there.

And yet, you want to put the onus on ME to somehow prove that his veteran agent is not out there actively telling clubs that he won't report if traded there?

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023

"the onus of proof on my bogus ass claim is on you. not on me."

show me proof you don't have a scat-play kink.

Reactions: HBK27

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
It’s 2024, everybody is working remotely. Your telling me his wife can’t use Zoom like everyone else? The entitlement is mind bottling.

Reactions: The Grinder

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005

I don't know what to believe to be honest but Brooks wasn't pulling all this out of his ass, if anything he was told to report this. Someone definitely drop the ball here with something.. But there is way too much smoke around all this for some of it not to be true in parts. I think it's safe to say New York was looking to dump him for cap space at the very least. Everything else is speculation including that. but I think if we are being honest there is a good story behind all this. I bet both sides were playing a little cloak and dagger

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Funny that Pionk has outscored Trouba since the trade at a much lower cap hit

Pionk: 366 GP, 177 P, +18
Trouba: 340 GP, 130 P, +19
I'm curious if you see the flaw if what you're trying to say. You can rip Trouba for a lot of reasons, but let's not act like his role and zone usage is put in a position to be productive.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't know what to believe to be honest but Brooks wasn't pulling all this out of his ass, if anything he was told to report this. Someone definitely drop the ball here with something.. But there is way too much smoke around all this for some of it not to be true in parts. I think it's safe to say New York was looking to dump him for cap space at the very least. Everything else is speculation including that. but I think if we are being honest there is a good story behind all this. I bet both sides were playing a little cloak and dagger

I certainly wouldn't put it past an agent to try to get that out there to poison the well a bit and make teams even more hesitant to trade for Trouba. Still, it's not a sure thing that he actually did that (or if he did, what he actually said) or if Brooks is just connecting the dots and speculating given Trouba's situation.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that Trouba would just walk away from $12M in salary the next two years considering his career trajectory.

I agree though that it's likely both sides were probably leaking info to the press to help their cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad