Speculation: Trouba's No Trade List

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
As many are aware, the Rangers are supposedly looking to trade Jacob Trouba now that his NMC has shifted to a 15-team no-trade list. It is being reported that Trouba does not want to leave NYC though, in part because his wife has one more year of her residency there (which makes it extremely difficult for her to relocate), plus they have an infant son.

Assuming this is all the case, how might Trouba had structured his 15-team no trade list in a way that makes it the most difficult for the Rangers to move him without him (which is his right that a lot of players leverage) this offseason and which teams not on his list might have interest in trading for him.

Here's my best guess as to which teams he might have included on his list, which was due 12 hours before the start of UFA:

Teams Mostly Likely on his No Trade List:

Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, Utah, Anaheim, Calgary, Buffalo, Columbus, Seattle, Ottawa, Montreal.

That's 11 teams that all have the cap space to take on most if not all of his contract, plus the Red Wings were rumored to have interest in him.

Other Possible No Trade Teams:

I'll guess the last 4 are Edmonton, Carolina, St. Louis and Nashville - keeping in mind that Nashville had a ton of cap space heading into free agency. Could easily see Philly being on the list though, given their amount of cap space and being part of a rebuild. But, let's go with this for now.

This leaves us with...

Possible Destinations

Vegas, Toronto, Washington, Vancouver, Minnesota, Tampa, Colorado, NJ, Florida, LA, Pittsburgh. These 11 teams are all more or less capped out and/or set at RD, so it's hard to imagine any of them having remotely any interest in Trouba, even with the Rangers retaining.

That leaves 5 teams: Islanders, Philly, Dallas, Boston & Winnipeg.

Tough to see them making a trade with the rival Islanders, but if there's a bad contract coming back maybe something could be worked out and it's probably the best destination for Trouba as he would not have to move. Philly wouldn't be too far either, but again...this could be a team on his No Trade List. Dallas and Boston seem set at RD and I can't see Winnipeg having any interest in bringing him back after he forced his way out.

Curious to see if this is how others would have it structured or which teams might be willing to make a deal if the price is right.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Rangers could just waive him and a team with cap space like Anaheim could claim him. I think the rangers are going to keep Trouba one more year but they might trade kakko now after trading for Reilly smith

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
In Trouba's position, knowing I couldn't block every option, I would not include Philly on the list, because while it is far from optimal (if he's being traded, 100% he's going to try and engineer something with NJD or NYI, so he's still in the same market), NYC is an hour flight or 90 minute train ride away, which is one hell of a lot more doable than traveling back from Winnipeg. Also, Philly has eminently movable contracts that could go out the door, making it easy for them to roughly match salary for Trouba, facilitating a deal. (We aren't really in a position to take his whole salary on unless equivalent money's going out, but we can essentially split his salary across two roster spots for NYR, which frees up the salary they would have used on that other roster spot.)

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think all of Canada will be on it due to his wife’s job.

The thing with his wife's job is that she cannot leave NYC for another year, so going anywhere (aside for New Jersey or Long Island) is an issue for Trouba.

Thus, I think he would want to make the list as difficult as possible for the Rangers to move him. It was already reported that Drury asked for his list several days before it was due, but Trouba and his agent waited until the last moment to submit it.

Definitely a time I’m glad my team is “possibly” on a NT list.

No idea how you came up with that “Other Possible No Trade Teams”, then just threw a bunch of random teams in there though. :laugh:

He has 15 teams to submit on his no-trade list. I feel really good that the first 11 would almost certainly be on the list...not as sure about those final four.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Trouba's NMC remains in effect,
he contractually arranged for it to expire only once wife's residency is completed,
That was anticipated to be 2024 (now) however that won't be til next spring
Not surprised external sites like CF were out of the loop,
but NYR FO dropped the ball here, not keeping track of the commitments they'd agreed to

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Rangers could just waive him and a team with cap space like Anaheim could claim him. I think the rangers are going to keep Trouba one more year but they might trade kakko now after trading for Reilly smith

True, though I would think the Rangers would want to get an assurance from a team like Anaheim or San Jose that Trouba would in fact be claimed before they toss their captain on waivers, as it would not be good if he hit waivers and clears.

Surely he would want to be traded to NJ, NYI, Wash or Philly so they wouldn’t really have to move and his wife gets to finish out her residency?

Yes, which is why I left all 4 of those teams off of his no-trade list. Philly and Washington would still be a little tough on them, but is doable. Boston is also just as close as Washington.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Let's say they can waive him and have a team pick him up. That's a very dirty move. I understand it's business and fans want the player gone. but waiving a player to be picked up elsewhere, when he has a child coming and a wife that needs to stay in NY is a very dirty move. The rest of the league will take notice and eventually we will need NMC to be apart of everything. You can't do that to 2 vet players in a row.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Trouba wasn't terrible AND a dirtbag, he might have more teams interested. The fact that he's both makes it a hard sell. Might depend on how much Drury wants to include or retain. Retaining 50% doesn't help them do the things they want to do. Also can't see Drury including any serious picks or prospects to entice teams to take him.

Tough sell.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
The thing with his wife's job is that she cannot leave NYC for another year, so going anywhere (aside for New Jersey or Long Island) is an issue for Trouba.

Thus, I think he would want to make the list as difficult as possible for the Rangers to move him. It was already reported that Drury asked for his list several days before it was due, but Trouba and his agent waited until the last moment to submit it.

He has 15 teams to submit on his no-trade list. I feel really good that the first 11 would almost certainly be on the list...not as sure about those final four.
Very strong possibility… you could probably even say “likely” that all of Canada is on his list.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think all of Canada will be on it due to his wife’s job.
See I disagree with this notion as certain Canadian teams definitely would not be looking at Trouba.

Gotta be smart with picking the 15 teams for NTC.

Teams not on NTC
Islanders Devils - close enough.
Leafs Canucks - cap space non existent
Jets - LOL (not laughing at Winnipeg but we know the history
Florida/TAMPA I can't see them making a trade for Trouba and if they do atleast you are going to a team wanting to win
Penguins - 2 full NTC RD -
Capitals - got new defensemen 9

15 NTC
San Jose - would retain 50% and send off at deadline
Utah - cap space
Ducks - cap space
Montreal - cap space
Flames - cap space
Columbus - would they do a Laine for Trouba swap. Possibly.
Blues - Cap space
LA Kings - cap space
Senators- I could see a trade
Kraken - thinking of em here
Sabres - Nearby but have space. 11
Hurricanes - up there alley 12
Red Wings - Rumor they want him 13
Chicago
Flyers 15

Teams that are iffy

Edmonton - no idea how they would pull it off but they could use a sefensemen I lean to keeping them off
Bruins - Swayman still needs to be signed unsure if a trade is possible

I may add the rest of the teams but only so much time to post. Hope finishing the 15 NTC is good enough.

Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Very strong possibility… you could probably even say “likely” that all of Canada is on his list.

Very well could be, but is there any chance that Winnipeg would take him back? Or that Vancouver would have any interest given how tight they are to the cap and having Hronek, Myers and Desharnais already at RD? Maybe he doesn't take that risks and includes these teams then, in which case which other teams come off my list between Nashville, St. Louis and Carolina?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Trouba wasn't terrible AND a dirtbag, he might have more teams interested. The fact that he's both makes it a hard sell. Might depend on how much Drury wants to include or retain. Retaining 50% doesn't help them do the things they want to do. Also can't see Drury including any serious picks or prospects to entice teams to take him.

Tough sell.
The Flyers FO would be all over him if they had room. They are obsessed with being "tough to play against" which is not the same as being good defensively.

Maybe Ellis for Trouba? And the Rangers put Ellis on LTIR.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Let's say they can waive him and have a team pick him up. That's a very dirty move. I understand it's business and fans want the player gone. but waiving a player to be picked up elsewhere, when he has a child coming and a wife that needs to stay in NY is a very dirty move. The rest of the league will take notice and eventually we will need NMC to be apart of everything. You can't do that to 2 vet players in a row.
I hate this argument. It's professional sports and players are separated from their wives and kids all the time. He is making 8 mil a year. Hire a nanny.

Actually its just reality, humans are forced to separate from their wives and kids for work related issues all the time.

Like you said, at the end of the day, it's a business.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Trouba's NMC remains in effect,
he contractually arranged for it to expire only once wife's residency is completed,
That was anticipated to be 2024 (now) however that won't be til next spring
Not surprised external sites like CF were out of the loop,
but NYR FO dropped the ball here, not keeping track of the commitments they'd agreed to
Is that a condition that can be worded into a NHL SPC? That it could fluctuate based on something like that vs a fixed point in time.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Is that a condition that can be worded into a NHL SPC? That it could fluctuate based on something like that vs a fixed point in time.

There's zero chance that's actually real.

To Trouba's credit though, he negotiated the NMC to coincide with changing over to a NTC once his wife's residency was completed - however, it seems that COVID delayed the completion of the program by a year, which led to this current issue.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
He played Winnipeg dirty, he used every trick he could to get to New York, did not care about Winnipeg, why should teams play soft with him. His agent also plays dirty, so expect teams to play hardball back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad