Proposal: Trouba to Pitt

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What was Trouba asking for again? Oh that's right... 8x7m. Yeah he's going to make more than Maatta. As for how it will affect PITs cap, every penny he makes that's over Maatta's 4m is less money to sign Dumoulin and Bonino or the other depth players that just allowed Crosby and company to win their 2nd cup. He could sign a contract at 5m and while it may be a great contract down the road, it still means we're losing someone due to the impending cap crunch. This is a team with 4 players with cap hits over 6.8m. That means we need to be very smart with how the rest of our roster is constructed, which means moving very good players on very good long term contracts is a really stupid ****ing thing to do - even if it means getting a slightly better player back.

On a side note I love how Connor is now a "potential 1st line winger". lol. How about we let him play at least 1 pro game before annotating him a 1st line winger?

I see this meme from a single questionable article has survived and multiplied. Trouba's agent immediately and directly refuted the information in the article regarding Trouba's contract request. Moreover, that same article also missed Byfuglien's actual contract value by 40%.

Trouba will get more than Maatta because he has higher value than Maatta. It's as simple as that.

"Potential" means just what it says. I don't think many knowledgeable hockey people would dispute that Connor has 1st line potential. He's widely considered one of the top prospects in hockey, and he's a winger. Top prospects usually are considered to have "1st line potential".

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The point was that even the Hobey Baker winner can end up being a non-factor at the next level. This place puts way too high a value on potential when most never live up to their hype. Yeah, the site is called "Hockey's Future", but that doesn't mean the reality of it can't be taken into consideration.

You're the one ignoring the reality that Connor scored three times as many points as an 18/19 year old in the NCCA as Porter. There's no comparison between the two players.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Won a SC playing on the Pens top pair and getting the toughest matchups every night. He is the Pens best shut down defenseman.

Not sure what else you would define as a top pairing blueliner.

Nah, it was last summer.

Maatta earned his way next to Letang, he wasn't handed that spot.

He also played primarily with Lovejoy in the playoffs on the second pair.

Trouba is a good player, but anyone saying he is better than Maatta is out to lunch. There is honestly no real argument to be made for Trouba being better either through the eye test or statistically.

I was mostly referencing your remark about Maatta's production when compared with Trouba's even though he played fewer games. It's pretty clear Trouba's role on the team for the last few years hasn't been to produce offensively. Nor has he been given the proper opportunity to excel in that regard given his linemates and primary PK usage. It is my hope that Myers is the one traded eventually and that Trouba can take over the point on the 2nd PP unit behind Byfuglien. Also.. hoping that Morrissey somehow makes the team over Mark Stuart as a LHD and we get Enstrom-Trouba, Morrissey-Byfuglien, and Chiarot-Postma or some combination of the sorts in the upcoming season which doesn't account for the likelihood of Myers being traded for a LHD of similar value.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
You're the one ignoring the reality that Connor scored three times as many points as an 18/19 year old in the NCCA as Porter. There's no comparison between the two players.

I'm not ignoring it, it's an interesting point. Both are/were excellent players at a lower level. So there is some comparison. It's just not enough of a "bonus" to the Pens to make this a realistic proposal. The fact that Pens fans seem to be quite unanimous in this belief should really be enough evidence to indicate as much.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
What was Trouba asking for again? Oh that's right... 8x7m. Yeah he's going to make more than Maatta. As for how it will affect PITs cap, every penny he makes that's over Maatta's 4m is less money to sign Dumoulin and Bonino or the other depth players that just allowed Crosby and company to win their 2nd cup. He could sign a contract at 5m and while it may be a great contract down the road, it still means we're losing someone due to the impending cap crunch. This is a team with 4 players with cap hits over 6.8m. That means we need to be very smart with how the rest of our roster is constructed, which means moving very good players on very good long term contracts is a really stupid ****ing thing to do - even if it means getting a slightly better player back.

On a side note I love how Connor is now a "potential 1st line winger". lol. How about we let him play at least 1 pro game before annotating him a 1st line winger?

hqdefault.jpg

That debunked rumor is getting old.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not ignoring it, it's an interesting point. Both are/were excellent players at a lower level. So there is some comparison. It's just not enough of a "bonus" to the Pens to make this a realistic proposal. The fact that Pens fans seem to be quite unanimous in this belief should really be enough evidence to indicate as much.

The main comparison between those 2 players is that they both wear skates. That's about it. If you believe otherwise well then let me tell you about how Crosby and Cooke are essentially the same player.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

You realize that a completely false rumour about Trouba's contract demands right? That rumour was immediately debunked publically by his agent as being completely false. People repeat it here b/c they are uninformed or to suit their own agenda.

Which are you?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Now frankly, I don't care if Pittsburgh refuses to do this, because the Jets sure as hell aren't doing this. In case anyone forgot, both teams have to accept it for the trade to go through. Trying to make the other team accept the trade because you wouldn't do it for your team is pointless.

Where has anyone done that? I'm only pointing out why PIT wouldn't do it. I could care less what WPG does or doesn't do.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was mostly referencing your remark about Maatta's production when compared with Trouba's even though he played fewer games. It's pretty clear Trouba's role on the team for the last few years hasn't been to produce offensively. Nor has he been given the proper opportunity to excel in that regard given his linemates and primary PK usage. It is my hope that Myers is the one traded eventually and that Trouba can take over the point on the 2nd PP unit behind Byfuglien. Also.. hoping that Morrissey somehow makes the team over Mark Stuart as a LHD and we get Enstrom-Trouba, Morrissey-Byfuglien, and Chiarot-Postma or some combination of the sorts in the upcoming season which doesn't account for the likelihood of Myers being traded for a LHD of similar value.

I think Trouba is a hell of a player. You don't really need to sell me on him as I wanted the Pens to draft him with the 8th overall pick.

I understand there are circumstances that kept Trouba's point totals down, but the same holds true for Maatta as well.

Keep in mind that when Maatta plays with Letang he actually hangs back and plays more of a defensive role. He also didn't get much PP time as well. In fact Trouba had double his minutes on the PP.

Trouba had well over 100 minutes of PP time this season vs Maatta at 48 m. So we can find all kinds of excuses for both players if we searched hard enough.

I just think the opinions in this thread from some Jets fans are silly. I've basically read that Trouba is better than Mattaa and that Pouliot is "garbage".

Neither statement is true.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I just think the opinions in this thread from some Jets fans are silly. I've basically read that Trouba is better than Mattaa and that Pouliot is "garbage".

Neither statement is true.

:shakehead

So our opinions are worth jack ****, but yours are somehow right and foolproof?

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Winning a Stanley Cup is neither an argument for nor against making a trade. That's ludicrous.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Connor's U19 NCAA scoring comparables are Martin St. Louis, Paul Kariya and Brendan Morrisson. Only U19 players the last 25 years to best Connor's 1.78 ppg. And they did it in the early/mid 90's

Kevin Porter, lol

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
:shakehead

So our opinions are worth jack ****, but yours are somehow right and foolproof?

Ya, telling me Pouliot is "garbage" is a worthless opinion.

I never claimed Maatta is better than Trouba.

Stats don't show Trouba to be a better player than Maatta. We also know that Maatta just won a Stanley Cup playing top four minutes and wasn't sheltered like Schultz.

So ya, I feel quite good about my opinion.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Where has anyone done that? I'm only pointing out why PIT wouldn't do it. I could care less what WPG does or doesn't do.

Sorry, I wasn't referencing you when I made the second point. I replied to you in my first paragraph and then just made a general statement in the second one. Should've made that clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad