Rumor: Trouba to Detroit (Rangers retaining)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If that's the case, I'd be expecting Rangers to actually give something up, not the Red Wings coughing up a 2nd round pick for a full salary dump by the Rangers.

Just my thoughts. Idk how to feel yet, I know I don't like the idea of adding Trouba and his money vs other players/trades, but if Rangers slap a 1st round pick on it or something crazy, I'll feel better.

Giving up a 2nd to dump Walman, to then again give up a 2nd to acquire the Rangers salary cap dump, bothers me a little. Trouba would have to have a really big bounce back year.
The Rangers are going to retain 31%. That's where the second comes in. I'm not trying to pull a fast one on Wings fans, this is all coming from credible media sources and retention usually means something of value is going back the other way.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Rangers fan is peace. Here's my best guess: Trouba for a 2025 second and Elmer Soderblom.

I know Soderblom's had concussion issues a never really picked up from his 21 game NHL opportunity. A change of scenery and a young player with size and limited upside the Rangers can add to their mix and mantra of trying to get tougher to play against (even though he's not a basher from what I remember).
Soderblom is softer than a pillow and inconsistent. You can have him.

But going to need full 50% retention if you actually think Rangers are getting assets back. It should be the other way around if we are taking on most of that contract.

Trouba (25% retention) + 2nd
For
Future consideration

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Will be fun to be on the other side of his dirty elbows for once. Kind of like when we got Hatcher.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
And he immediately blew his knee out and was a shadow of his former self?

Not a good comparison...
He blew his ankle and is a shadow of his former self...

It's Hatcher round 2 except the player is dirtier. I think Chris Pronger was Jacob Trouba's high school physics teacher.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Your future on San Jose which doesn't appear to be happening but is that they waiver claim a guy in a pre-arranged deal if we could get the Trouba deal and Stamkos signed or something along those. Not sure that is really it, sure sounded like it was just to take the salary from Yzerman on the draft floor last night. Also everyone seems to be ignoring the few GMs saying I didn't understand it was that sweetner with they didn't know he was available, sure seems like they knew that part.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
quit looking at season averages, by the time the playoffs rolled around he was on the third pairing.
was again 3rd on ice time, but was only 6 seconds away from Miller in 2nd place.

look, i saw plenty of Trouba and i'm very sceptical of this (can definitely see us giving up our 2nd or sth as well) but he's not Lebda. nor is he Petry or Holl.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The Rangers are going to retain 31%. That's where the second comes in. I'm not trying to pull a fast one on Wings fans, this is all coming from credible media sources and retention usually means something of value is going back the other way.
Lol, I know, I just don't know how much I personally trust any of them. Idk if I agree with the train of thought(or yours even) but I do know you're parroting what you've heard/read. So I'm not lashing out at you or anything.

I'm saying back as a fan. Makes no sense. Why on earth would Red Wings help out the Rangers plus give up something. They can just go sign a younger RHD. The thing you're getting back is 5.5 million in cap space, that should be more than worth it. The Red Wings are legitimately doing the Rangers a favor if they trade for Trouba and give up assets.

I'll wait for the actual deal to be announced before I'm mad, sad, happy, etc.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Trouba is a much better player than Jake Walman gang. Even with Trouba's decline... We know his rough end to the season had a significant injury, Walman was being healthy scratched in a playoff race.
I agree. Trouba is definitely better than Walman.

Walman was deemed worth way less than his 3.5 contract though. (I’d say he is worth 2.5)

Same as Trouba is not worth 5.5M IMO. (I’d say he is worth 4M). Wouldn’t mind full 50% retention.

Opportunity cost is everything. That 5.5 could always go to free agents

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Lol, I know, I just don't know how much I personally trust any of them. I know you're parroting what you've heard/read.

I'm saying back as a fan. Makes no sense. Why on earth would Red Wings help out the Rangers plus give up something. They can just go sign a younger RHD. The thing you're getting back is 5.5 million in cap space, that should be more than worth it. The Red Wings are legitimately doing the Rangers a favor if they trade for Trouba and give up assets.

Yzerman wants pros in the room who make the team tougher to play against.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Your future on San Jose which doesn't appear to be happening but is that they waiver claim a guy in a pre-arranged deal if we could get the Trouba deal and Stamkos signed or something along those. Not sure that is really it, sure sounded like it was just to take the salary from Yzerman on the draft floor last night. Also everyone seems to be ignoring the few GMs saying I didn't understand it was that sweetner with they didn't know he was available, sure seems like they knew that part.
Apparently Max Bultman finally pinned Yzerman down and Yzerman said it was a straight up cap dump.

Which makes me really concerned about the direction (or lack thereof) the team is moving in.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yzerman wants pros in the room who make the team tougher to play against.
Idk if that justify's helping the Rangers out vs going out in FA or trading for someone else straight up.

He's not exactly a pros, pro either with the cheap-shots, etc.

We all watched the Florida series and know why you want him gone.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Lol, I know, I just don't know how much I personally trust any of them. Idk if I agree with the train of thought(or yours even) but I do know you're parroting what you've heard/read. So I'm not lashing out at you or anything.

Yzerman's probably gotten a ballpark on the asking figures for the guys he would want to sign.. I figure part of us going after Trouba is that we want to upgrade that spot, but aren't liking our chances or prices at upgrading through other means.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Idk if that justify's helping the Rangers out vs going out in FA or trading for someone else straight up.

He's not exactly a pros, pro either with the cheap-shots, etc.

We all watched the Florida series and know why you want him gone.
Really popular guy in both Winnipeg and New York. Extremely popular guy within the U of M group of guys around the league. Always will actually fight if people are upset with something. Fans hate Trouba, I don't see a ton of evidence that a bunch of the players do. Similar to how Kronwall was never despised within the PA despite the anger of a lot of fanbases.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1