Value of: Trouba likely to ask for the moon on a new deal

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I believe no one here questions the Jets desire to extend him.

People just wonder if Trouba, who took his time last year to resign, is willing to stay in Winnipeg. Otherwise it should be a no brainer.

Also wondering if it's possible to keep Trouba in Winnipeg despite him not wanting to be there for more money.

If Winnipeg offers him more than market value would it be enough to convince him to stay? And if so is that the right approach?

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Also wondering if it's possible to keep Trouba in Winnipeg despite him not wanting to be there for more money.

If Winnipeg offers him more than market value would it be enough to convince him to stay? And if so is that the right approach?

This is the point.

The Jets have a good team with a lot of firepower and a well-balanced D. Their prospect pool is still suberb.

If it's not for the weather or personal feelings I can't see why he shouldn't be willing to.

Keeping someone on the team who doesn't want to be there 100% is probably never a good idea. If so, Cheveldayoff has a hard decision to make.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
My expectation is that he ends up getting $7.5 million but anything under $8 million is a good deal for the team.

The number could end up being even higher than that if repeats his 5v5 performance from last year and is on the #1 PP as well. He was 6th in the NHL in 5v5 P/60 while being one of the top defensive D-men, which is a rare combination. People are seriously sleeping on just how good he was last year because it takes the talking heads a while to cue into defensive play and offensively they mainly look at total points which usually means PP points.

Trouba is good, but not great. He is nowhere near a talented as the Canes DMen that signed for approx. $6M per, but the Jets are weak on D and they have difficulty signing UFA. So unless they trade for players or spend the next few years trying to develop players, they have few options beside overpaying.

$7M per Max, otherwise trade him rather then distort the salary structure of the team.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
This is the point.

The Jets have a good team with a lot of firepower and a well-balanced D. Their prospect pool is still suberb.

If it's not for the weather or personal feelings I can't see why he shouldn't be willing to.

Keeping someone on the team who doesn't want to be there 100% is probably never a good idea. If so, Cheveldayoff has a hard decision to make.

Yup. I can imagine that in the event that they had to trade Trouba they would be looking for a dman of equal value back. Not an easy trade to make.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yes I did Mr. Smart.

Nurse has to potential to be a top LHD as Trouba already showed he plays on a top-2 role.

What is your point again? What exactly did you not get?

You know, the fact that Nurse wasn't mentioned in the post you quoted. Instead, it said "Nuge".

That.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
You know, the fact that Nurse wasn't mentioned in the post you quoted. Instead, it said "Nuge".

That.

Gotcha. My bad.

Sorry but it felt like I would talk ********.

Still, my point stands. Can't see why RNH would be in the Jets interest when they have Scheifele and Little down the midlle for the top-6 C roles.

Nurse on the other hand could be awesome together with Byfuglien, Enstrom and Myers.

Add in Kulikov and Morrissey and you have a lot of balance.

Neverthelees, Nurse alone would be not enough and I am talking only about the situation in which Cheveldayoff wants to move him because Trouba wants out.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Many experts here I must say. Thing is only 3 people really knows what Trouba wants. I for 1 second don´t belive any of what Trouba and Overhardt said.
Im not even sure Trouba himself knows what he wants. If Jets makes it to playoff I think he wanna stay and be in a team that competes. His nightmare would be if he is dealt to a team like Red Wings that has years to come in the darkness.

I think he is also overating his own brand. He will never be a "franchie market type" of player that he thinks he is. He is a Lindholm, Slavin type of player, every clubs loves him, his teams fans loves him, but besides that noone really cares.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Here we go what? I'm sure most people would take Klefbom at $4M for the next 5 years over Trouba and his $6-$7M long term contract. I think it's arguable who the better player is period even if contracts were equal.

As for RNH+Puljujarvi? No thanks, the Oilers don't need Trouba THAT bad. That deal doesn't make much sense for Winnipeg either. Don't even bother asking for Draisaitl.

That what it would take to get Trouba. Assuming he does not want to play in the Peg. The Jets will still lose because losing Trouba will create a huge hole with their top D. From all account that I've heard is Trouba likes the room and players he is playing with and if he want to move he want to go to the US so the Oilers would never be in the conversation for a trade deal.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
That what it would take to get Trouba. Assuming he does not want to play in the Peg. The Jets will still lose because losing Trouba will create a huge hole with their top D. From all account that I've heard is Trouba likes the room and players he is playing with and if he want to move he want to go to the US so the Oilers would never be in the conversation for a trade deal.

^in the real world Trouba wouldn't fetch that much. he'd get a good d-man back and maybe a 1st rounder if this was a case of the Jets not being able to afford him and him becoming more or less a salary dump.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Lol, Oilers make the playoffs once and all of a sudden there fans think the players are worth twice there weight in gold apparently.

Klefbom better than Trouba? RNH+Poolparty an overpayment for Trouba? That's laughably awful.

Jets would never move Trouba for RNH + Poolparty.
Why ? This is a rare situation. No team in the league can tie up 20 million on 3 right hand D. Not to mention the fact that Trouba really doesn't want to play in Winnipeg.
It would be like Reilly playing with Lindholm and Fowler on the bottom pair and requesting to play in Canada.
Also Puljujarvi has been as highly touted as Aho and Laine at every level just because Edmonton had a ton of veteran wingers doesn't mean Puljujarvi isn't equally as good as both. Its a fair trade proposal given the circumstances.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Why ? This is a rare situation. No team in the league can tie up 20 million on 3 right hand D. Not to mention the fact that Trouba really doesn't want to play in Winnipeg.
It would be like Reilly playing with Lindholm and Fowler on the bottom pair and requesting to play in Canada.
Also Puljujarvi has been as highly touted as Aho and Laine at every level just because Edmonton had a ton of veteran wingers doesn't mean Puljujarvi isn't equally as good as both. Its a fair trade proposal given the circumstances.

No interest in either player tbh. Ones a bit overpaid 2C and we don't need a winger prospect who struggled this year in the AHL. No one knows if Trouba wants to stay or go or is it just about getting the most money he can. Ideally Trouba signs long term next summer and Myers is traded next summer after staying healthy all season. Pass on them both.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Trouba gets 6 yrs. at 6.5 million per. Whether that's in Winnipeg or somewhere else is beyond me.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
No interest in either player tbh. Ones a bit overpaid 2C and we don't need a winger prospect who struggled this year in the AHL. No one knows if Trouba wants to stay or go or is it just about getting the most money he can. Ideally Trouba signs long term next summer and Myers is traded next summer after staying healthy all season. Pass on them both.

I agree (if that's a feasible plan),proving Myers is healthy and trading him, then giving Trouba big money. But if Trouba wants to leave, then getting Nuge and Pool is fair value. Im sure Ehlers and Little could get you a Hanafin or someone of equal value.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This thread literally got derailed into a trade thread on the 1st page with the usual my dad is tougher than your dad garbage. :help:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think Trouba gets 6 yrs. at 6.5 million per. Whether that's in Winnipeg or somewhere else is beyond me.

I think he gets more then that, Especially too stay in Winnipeg i can't see him signing for any thing less then 8 years $60 million at least in Winnipeg if not more. I think teams will be lining up to give him at least 7 years $49 million. But then again Shattenkirk took less too play for his hometown Rangers so we shall see.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I really don't see how. Read the post directly above yours, he bled goals against - granted Talbot is orders of magnitude better than anyone that was in net for the Jets last season.

Goals are to heavily influences by luck and goaltending to be a reliable indicator of overall play. On a per game basis he Trouba one of the best defensive GAR in the NHL (second IIRC). In fact, he was top 10 in total Defensive GAR, even with only 60 games played. He was also near the top for even strength offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad