Value of: Tristan Jarry?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Jarry's probably going to need an enticement attached to him to move him at this point. No, not a 1st or something. But probably something like Jarry and a 4th for a conditional 7th. Largely due to his contract and remaining term.

The problem with Jarry is he's just so mentally weak. He's one of the most un-clutch (if you can call it that) goalies I've seen. And weirdly, he's great pre all-star break but turns into a sieve after January.

When he's on his game, he IS a good goalie. But he just can't seem to get over that mental hurdle to consistently play at that level, and has a knack for giving up weak goals when the team is starting to find its game, which in turn derails any sort of momentum the team has.

Ah, so he is Freddy Andersen. I have seen that before myself.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Oilers need to spend any available cap on upgrading the 2nd RHD before ever thinking about spending assets on anything else.

Anyone that thinks a goalie should be a priority for the Oilers hasn't looked at the Oilers roster
You are correct. Defence wins cups, not goaltenders. It won’t matter what goalie Edmonton has with that defence.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Oilers need to spend any available cap on upgrading the 2nd RHD before ever thinking about spending assets on anything else.

Anyone that thinks a goalie should be a priority for the Oilers hasn't looked at the Oilers roster
How about Jarry and Karlsson for cap dumps and all the picks and prospects?

Vlasic for Jarry (and some sweetner on which ever side?) Or not that bad?
Would take Vlasic back as a cap dump but we're going to need a pick or prospect in the deal.

Jarry and Graves for Hubs? sold.
As a Pens fan I'd seriously consider it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Something around Huberdeau, Dman for Graves, Jarry

Huberdeau, Bahl, Vladar (expiring) for Eller (expiring), Graves, Jarry
and then Calgary has to add futures for PIT to say yes
Calgary might need to max-retain on Vladar to make cap work

( I'm just messing around, doubt PIT would agree to this )
I would do this as well as the slimmed down version of Graves+Jarry for Hubs.

I'm one of the few that still thinks Hubs could be a lot better with a star center.

I imagine the Penguins would have to send a forward to Calgary as well.

Reactions: Giskard

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I would do this as well as the slimmed down version of Graves+Jarry for Hubs.

I'm one of the few that still thinks Hubs could be a lot better with a star center.

I imagine the Penguins would have to send a forward to Calgary as well.
Eller is there for cap reasons and Penguins sending a forward out to make room for Huberdeau. Expiring contract. Same with Vladar, cap reasons and so Penguins have another goalie (just for this year only) and Blomqvist can start in Wilkes-Barre. I included Bahl so Pens can have a 3rd pair LD to replace Graves, but he's also young and big and has potential.

Forward and D and goalie for forward and D and goalie makes sense to me when you need at least 5 or 6 guys to make cap work and some of them are expiring.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

There might actually be something to this messing around. Somewhere in there, might be a trade that makes sense. Probably have to strip it back and rejig it a bit. But something with a Jarry+Graves for Huberdeau does have a little bit of potential to build a deal that works.

Certainly from the Penguins end, i can see the appeal of admitting that you're really "all in" with this aging core for the next few years...and you're adding a guy in Huberdeau who clearly has the skill and ability to put up substantial points if he "clicks" with one of the Penguins Centers. Also kind of "undoes" two pretty substantial mistake contracts.

From the Flames end, it's a little bit tougher sell i think. Really leaning heavily on the idea of getting out from under Huberdeau's deal earlier. 'Cause in the meantime, i'm not really sure what Jarry does for them, and Graves...well, if he were actually a big steady veteran "stay at home" presence, it'd be great for the Flames to help break in some young defencemen and probably allow them to move off a guy like Andersson for more futures. But then...if Graves were that...the Penguins probably wouldn't be wanting to dump him. He's a far more aggressive defenceman than that, more in the Zadorov mold...which makes him trickier for a young, still trying to find their NHL footing partner to play with.

But it would allow Calgary to move on from the "Huberdeau Era" a little bit earlier. So more than adding things on either side to "balance", it probably just comes down to assessing just how much getting out from under Huberdeau's term at huge dollars is worth to them.

Reactions: Giskard

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
There might actually be something to this messing around. Somewhere in there, might be a trade that makes sense. Probably have to strip it back and rejig it a bit. But something with a Jarry+Graves for Huberdeau does have a little bit of potential to build a deal that works.

Certainly from the Penguins end, i can see the appeal of admitting that you're really "all in" with this aging core for the next few years...and you're adding a guy in Huberdeau who clearly has the skill and ability to put up substantial points if he "clicks" with one of the Penguins Centers. Also kind of "undoes" two pretty substantial mistake contracts.

From the Flames end, it's a little bit tougher sell i think. Really leaning heavily on the idea of getting out from under Huberdeau's deal earlier. 'Cause in the meantime, i'm not really sure what Jarry does for them, and Graves...well, if he were actually a big steady veteran "stay at home" presence, it'd be great for the Flames to help break in some young defencemen and probably allow them to move off a guy like Andersson for more futures. But then...if Graves were that...the Penguins probably wouldn't be wanting to dump him. He's a far more aggressive defenceman than that, more in the Zadorov mold...which makes him trickier for a young, still trying to find their NHL footing partner to play with.

But it would allow Calgary to move on from the "Huberdeau Era" a little bit earlier. So more than adding things on either side to "balance", it probably just comes down to assessing just how much getting out from under Huberdeau's term at huge dollars is worth to them.
Flames have no notable goalie prospects that are only 1 or 2 years away, and Wolf is cheap now and likely to remain cheap-ISH for the next 2 or 3 years. Running a Wolf Jarry tandem for 2 or 3 or 4 years seems very workable for the Flames from a cap perspective and a "don't block the high potential kids" perspective.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Flames have no notable goalie prospects that are only 1 or 2 years away, and Wolf is cheap now and likely to remain cheap-ISH for the next 2 or 3 years. Running a Wolf Jarry tandem for 2 or 3 or 4 years seems very workable for the Flames from a cap perspective and a "don't block the high potential kids" perspective.

It's certainly "workable" from a cap perspective and everything. I just question a little bit if it's "worthwhile" to any meaningful extent.

I'm not sure how much they'd value having a guy like Jarry to platoon with Wolf for the next year or two, before they end up with what would amount to...a very expensive backup, if things go the way they obviously hope with Wolf.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
It's certainly "workable" from a cap perspective and everything. I just question a little bit if it's "worthwhile" to any meaningful extent.

I'm not sure how much they'd value having a guy like Jarry to platoon with Wolf for the next year or two, before they end up with what would amount to...a very expensive backup, if things go the way they obviously hope with Wolf.
I doubt they would be happy about it, but perhaps they'd be even LESS happy with Huberdeau over $10 million cap until 2031? I don't think any Huberdeau trade will make them actually HAPPY... just less dissatisfied as compared to before perhaps.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Crazy as it might seem, I could definitely see Huberdeau finding his game again playing with the likes of Crosby or even "old man" Malkin. It's certainly a risk on the Pens side but maybe one worth gambling on. The latter years of Huberdeau won't matter since they'll be in "bottom out" rebuild territory by then.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Jarry does not look good. Having said that our defense also sucks. He might be better on a more realistic cup contender.

Would be dumb to retain on his contract, but would take a dump back plus the highest pick we can get from a team (probably 3rd but if there’s desperation maybe a 2nd)

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Jarry does not look good. Having said that our defense also sucks. He might be better on a more realistic cup contender.

Would be dumb to retain on his contract, but would take a dump back plus the highest pick we can get from a team (probably 3rd but if there’s desperation maybe a 2nd)
Jarry having 4 years of term instead of 3 or 2 means that Pittsburgh is probably adding the pick, not the other team.

4 year overpaid guy + pick
for
1 or 2 or 3 yr overpaid guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad