Proposal: Tristan Jarry, Jeff Carter, plus what for John Gibson?

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Wasn't Jarry just a UFA?

When's the last time (or first) a team signed an unrestricted free agent to a 5+ year deal (or any deal) and traded them a month or two later?
Exactly. The idea that a trade would happen now is a complete non-starter. Jarry just committed his prime to the team, and vice-versa.

Personally, I think it was a mistake that the Pens extended Jarry. But what's done is done. The Pens now either live or die with him, barring a career-altering injury situation.

Now, if Gibson is somehow available during the season for pennies on the dollar, at 50% value, then I'd love to add him to platoon with Jarry, and have an experienced option. But clearly, from the reactions of Ducks fans here (and in other threads) that is just not going to happen...

Reactions: HBK27

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Exactly. The idea that a trade would happen now is a complete non-starter. Jarry just committed his prime to the team, and vice-versa.

Personally, I think it was a mistake that the Pens extended Jarry. But what's done is done. The Pens now either live or die with him, barring a career-altering injury situation.

Now, if Gibson is somehow available during the season for pennies on the dollar, at 50% value, then I'd love to add him to platoon with Jarry, and have an experienced option. But clearly, from the reactions of Ducks fans here (and in other threads) that is just not going to happen...
Gibson has 4 years left on his deal, even at 50% that's a caphit of 3.2 million. I can guarantee you that it's not going to happen with Jarry here.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Jarry: 5 x 5.375
Carter: 1 x 3.125
Gibson: 4 x 6.4

The Penguins would save a much needed $2.1M on the cap this year, while getting an upgrade (albeit minor) in net.

The ducks have plenty of space this season. They take on $2.1M extra this year, but actually save $1.025M going forward swapping Gibson for Jarry once Carter is off the books. Jarry is younger as well, so he can be around for the rebuild.

So the question is what do the Pens have to add here? I really don’t think the gap between Jarry and Gibson is all that big (I know that has been debated on this platform), but we would have to pay Anaheim to take Carter. Does adding Pickering cover the difference? If not what does? Yager would be off the table. Not that he’s necessarily untouchable but he’s simply too valuable to be the difference in this particular deal.

For argument sake let’s say Carter waives. He’s no stranger to Southern California I think if there’s a team he waives for ANA would be on the list. And honestly I think he knows Pitt doesn’t want him anymore. And yes I know we just re-signed Jarry but Dubas clearly wants to win and if he feels he can upgrade at goalie I believe he will.

Let’s discuss

Well, you may not think the gap between Jarry and Gibson "is all that big" but I suspect that the Ducks GM, and almost anyone who pays attention to goaltenders at all, would certainly disagree.

Why would the Ducks want Jarry?
Why would the Ducks want Carter?

What possible incentive could their be for Anaheim to take on those two and to surrender their starting goaltender in the process?

Not since '18-'19.

'19-'20 to Present
Gibson - GAA: 3.32, SV%: .902
Jarry - GAA: 2.62, SV%: .915

Jarry's also younger. If it's between he and Gibson, I'll run with Jarry. If he doesn't get the job done, there's always the deadline.

Gee, I wonder how those stats would be different if Jarry were in Anaheim and Gibson was in Pittsburgh?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just gonna point out that Jarry has a 12 team no trade list and might have used it to rule out every place that might entertain a goalie swap or need a guy. In which case this idea, which is dead before it even started, is even more dead.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm honestly surprised we still see these. Obviously some opposing fans don't think Gibby is bad and hope to get him in the cheap. Everyone points at his numbers and ignore the precedent of good goalies under an Eakins lead team. Look at Dubnyk. He was regularly around .916+ before and after Eakins but .894 under him. Gibby has managed to be .899 in a league that scoring is up in. I expect his numbers to rebound this year significantly and wouldn't be surprised to see a .915+ at all.

Reactions: Rec T and lwvs84

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ha.... no. What's with all the downgrade proposals?

Gibby....

excited-happy.gif

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Pickering. But the also the purpose of the thread was to discuss what Anaheim would want as an add on

Thing about this is Pittsburgh has been a substantially better team than Anaheim for nearly a decade. Gibson’s numbers are bound to look worse. I think he is more talented and would win more games in Pittsburgh than Jarry would.

Again I agree the gap is small, but an upgrade nonetheless plus dumping Carter is an attractive idea to me.
Why the hell are we giving up a top prospect to get rid of a contract that 1) May go LTIR anyway 2) only brings minimal upgrade if any 3) Jeff Carter probably won’t waive for Anaheim?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Carter has a full NMC and wants to compete.
He isn't tradable

We just signed Jarry we won't be trading him for Gibson.

Pittsburgh is not trading there best defensive prospect unless it's a young guy that is cost controlled on our roster.

I wouldn't have traded Pickering for the 15th pick. That's the value.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Gee, I wonder how those stats would be different if Jarry were in Anaheim and Gibson was in Pittsburgh?
I don't know. I do know that the difference in stats is significant enough over a significant period that I wouldn't bet on team being the only factor.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
You need to understand Gibson is such a unicorn the stats can't be used for reference. Gibson is in such a unique situation all the stats, advanced and standard, are too biased to give you a real assessment.

I heard a former goalie, Mike McKenna maybe, talking about Gibson on the radio. His take on him was: early in his career he could dominate just off his athleticism and will to win, but has not improved his mechanics or adapted his technique as he's grown older, which is a bad recipe. I don't see enough of him to endorse that, but it seemed pretty plausible (and damning) coming from someone who knows net.

Reactions: AHassan

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Anaheim is part of that big group of teams who did badly but have some hope that they can surprise everyone and make the playoffs. It's easy to laugh at that, but weirder things have happened. They didn't add Gudas and Killorn because they wanted to contend for the top pick again. Maybe at the deadline they will start selling.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'd rather see what Gibson can do in a system with a coach that knows the word defense exists. The Ducks defense is almost as bad as last season, so if he improves, it means the system with poor defensive players was the problem. If his numbers stay the same or go down, it's the player (assuming Cronin actually preaches what he says and has a real defensive system this year).

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Gibson is just playing possum to help the Ducks get higher picks. He is as good as Pat Roy and should be valued as such.

2025 1st, Pickering, Ty Smith, Jarry for Gibson. Ducks probably laugh and hang up though. That is an insulting offer for Pat Roy.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
No point the Pens giving up Carter. He’s still a very useful player in the bottom 6 and can fill in on the top 6 when injuries happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad