Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
No evidence of Zegras actively being shopped - especially considering he was injured most of last season. Most of the ‘speculation’ comes from fans mostly.

I wish these threads were locked lmao.

Reactions: McDonald19

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Actually, the rumor is that the Habs backed out when they got Hage at 21st. As that rumored deal was including that pick among other assets.
I really can’t imagine that…. Maybe what habs writers or saying they offered but I’m sure Anaheim wasn’t really on board with it.

Unless it was a 2nd piece like

Guhle/reinbaxher + 21

I still think the only trade that made sense was
3 for 5 + 21…. But I think it was pretty well known that columbus liked lindstrom…. And I’d bet on Anaheim not taking Demidov at 3…. So seemed like a pretty safe pick for Montreal at 5 unless chicago went Demidov

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
I really can’t imagine that…. Maybe what habs writers or saying they offered but I’m sure Anaheim laughed about it

Guhle/reinbaxher + 21
Well Hughes is making a name for himself for staying firm on his price when he has something in mind. I don't think the 21st was the only piece, but it was already too much for him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well Hughes is making a name for himself for staying firm on his price when he has something in mind. I don't think the 21st was the only piece, but it was already too much for him.
Then I’d say they wernt really in on zegras…. Because there’s no way a team doesn’t outbid that…. I’d be willing to be 30 other teams would out bid that

To add why would Anaheim do that?

We were already able to get to 20-25 range with the oilers pick… why would we move our best weapon offensively for a late 1st + mid prospects.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's pretty clear that if the Habs didn't pick Demidov, then Zegras was in play.

Hughes is not a mystery. He thought that he may be forced to pick a defenseman at 5th and made plans to get a top 6 young forward. When we got Demidov, the need ended.

I'm absolutely against trading any of the high end young defenseman on what is the strongest pipeline i ever seen in 60+ years. The floor is a decent mid level defense for a decade. The ceiling is something we haven't seen in Habsland since the 70s.

I'm not going to comment on how good Z is. Of course i want him on the Habs...but I don't want to dig a hole to fill a not so big hole now. I want Hughes to target underachievers that will cost less. We are going to develop at least 4-5 youngsters who are NHL ready now and likely top 6 on any team. Maybe even potential of top 4. Nowhere near the value of Z, but I'll settle for less with a top 6 "potential". If none come along, that's fine.

I wish some Hab fans put away the delusions of stealing high end players as much as fans from other teams thinking that they will steal our players. Your dealing with a dead serious and patient GM in Hughes, not your NHL2000 trade brilliance.

Moving on...

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Not sure you can claim that Hughes was in the driver's seat and he decided to turn around and return home because his price was not met. It was a failed shopping trip.

Since Zegras is ANA's asset, I would say that Verbeek was running the show here. He has never indicated that Zegras is available (though naysayers will say he has never denied it either). He answered the phone with Zegras on his team, and the situation is unchanged.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I really can’t imagine that…. Maybe what habs writers or saying they offered but I’m sure Anaheim wasn’t really on board with it.

Guhle/reinbaxher + 21

I still think the only trade that made sense was
3 for 5 + 21…. But I think it was pretty well known that columbus liked lindstrom…. And I’d bet on Anaheim not taking Demidov at 3…. So seemed like a pretty safe pick for Montreal at 5 unless chicago went Demidov
The rumored pieces were Mailloux and 21 for Zegras and a 2nd, which apparently Hughes backed out from at the last moment

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Zegras would of made sense if we didnt pick Demidov but Mailloux + 21st seems abit low i would of made that trade even after picking Ivan

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Demidov
Zegras - Dach - Caufield

would sure look good ( atleast on paper ) that being said im happy about picking Hage seems like a good kid with potentiel

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Zegras would of made sense if we didnt pick Demidov but Mailloux + 21st seems abit low i would of made that trade even after picking Ivan

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Demidov
Zegras - Dach - Caufield

would sure look good ( atleast on paper ) that being said im happy about picking Hage seems like a good kid with potentiel
That’s 4/6 players 6” or under. Newhook also 5”11

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not sure you can claim that Hughes was in the driver's seat and he decided to turn around and return home because his price was not met. It was a failed shopping trip.

Since Zegras is ANA's asset, I would say that Verbeek was running the show here. He has never indicated that Zegras is available (though naysayers will say he has never denied it either). He answered the phone with

Zegras on his team, and the situation is unchanged.
From what i gather it was an if/then deal in place. If Hughes had to pick a defenseman then the deal would go forward.

There is no superior/inferior position in these deals. Just two GMs making a hockey deal.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
I don't know if Zegras would be worth for the habs to give up one of their top young defencemen. I think Hughes would rather keep Mallioux then trade for a player who has regressed two seasons in a row.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The rumored pieces were Mailloux and 21 for Zegras and a 2nd, which apparently Hughes backed out from at the last moment
I mean if that’s the price, Canadians still should go for it…. But I have a feeling there’s some thing missing or it’s a completely made up rumor by Montreal writer.

31 teams would easily and willingly beat that offer

Reactions: Beckett

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ducks should stay the course and just wait for the kids to develop. Anaheim should be picking in the top 10 again this year, so there's another chance at a top D. Even if they don't, the scouting staff's strength is defense. One guy panning out to be a Manson level guy is probably enough. If the forwards pan out, you've got:

Gauthier Carlsson Terry
Zegras McTavish Sennecke

Or pairing up forwards to spread out offense
Gauthier Carlsson
McTavish Terry
Zegras Sennecke
That puts a bigger guy with a smaller player. Fill in a 3rd wheel on each line. Maybe swap Gauthier and Sennecke and put Colangelo as the 3rd wheel with Zegras.

Mintyukov ??? (Manson type)
Solberg Luneau
Zellweger LaCombe/Warren/Hinds/etc

That's not counting Gaucher, Pastujov, Sidorov, Pettersson, etc. There should be some other decent to good middle 6 options with the amount of picks the Ducks have had. Trading Zegras puts more pressure on those guys to be a true top 6 player, though. The time to make moves will be when players start requiring big contracts and there's a clear picture of the importance of the players on and off the ice.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
okay and ? talent is talent Tampa as back to back cups with a short top 6
Both times they won the Stanley cup they had Kucherov (5"11),Point (5"10) and Palat (6"0) with the rest of the top 6 being 6"1+
I mean if that’s the price, Canadians still should go for it lol.
In the hypothetical scenario where this really happened and Hughes backed out of the trade, I could see the reasoning behind it. That would've made quite a soft top 6 with Caufield, Suzuki, Zegras and Demidov.

We could also argue that despite Mailloux reputation, he's still a very valuable piece. You don't get too many 6"3 RHD with a mean streak that can skate, move the puck and put points on the board. He's going to be a legit top 4 D for a long time. Apparently, they also really, really liked Hage, so that could have weighed in their decision to pass on the trade.

Would I have made the trade? Probably not after drafting Demidov either. I feel like he's going to play a similar role to Zegras would have played in Montreal and Mailloux is now an important piece of our future since Barron seems to have stagnated. I'm not sure we can afford to trade him at this point. However, if Montreal missed out on Demidov and drafted a D instead, it's a trade I would have done for sure.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
If the ducks dont want zegras because of some “character “ issues, then they sure aren’t giving him up for Mailloux and a late first (while we’re also giving up a 2nd).

Habs fans need to understand that you don’t get teams best players for B pieces.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The real challenge for the ducks is developing that blue line with the vets they have. Montreal in a similar boat with their guys. Hard to turnover that many young D into legit full time nhlers in a short span.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Their first Stanley cup win they only had Kucherov (5"11) and Point (5"10) Palat (6"0) with the rest of the top 6 being 6"1+
Ur missing Palat whos 5"11 also wasnt Gourde in the top 6 for sure top 9 and hes what 5"8 or 9 that offense wasnt big at all but talent won shit they destroyed us in the finals it wasnt even fair and our def were all big

Slafkovsky 6"4
Dach 6"4
Demidov 6"
Zegras 6"
Suzuki 5"11
Caufield 5"8

Thats a bigger top 6 then Tampa had but dont matter like i said talent is talent and this isnt a short top 6

Last edited:

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Ur missing Palat whos 5"11 also wasnt Gourde in the top 6 for sure top 9 and hes what 5"8 or 9

Slafkovsky 6"4
Dach 6"4
Demidov 6"
Zegras 6"
Suzuki 5"11
Caufield 5"8

Thats a bigger top 6 then Tampa had but dont matter like i said talent is talent and this isnt a short top 6

You're gonna have a real problem without any players over a foot.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If the ducks dont want zegras because of some “character “ issues, then they sure aren’t giving him up for Mailloux and a late first (while we’re also giving up a 2nd).

Habs fans need to understand that you don’t get teams best players for B pieces.

Never once have I mentioned what Anaheim should or shouldn’t do. I was giving my opinion on an hypothetical scenario which was discussed between two forum members as to why (in this hypothetical scenario) Hughes could have backed out of that (again hypothetical) trade scenario.

No offense, but I will "shoot the messenger" because youre using the bullshit article from a fansite as a legit rumor.
I see we’re having a good time discussing an hypothetical scenario. How would you feel if you didn’t have breakfast this morning?

Ur missing Palat whos 5"11 also wasnt Gourde in the top 6 for sure top 9 and hes what 5"8 or 9 that offense wasnt big at all but talent won shit they destroyed us in the finals it wasnt even fair and our def were all big

Slafkovsky 6"4
Dach 6"4
Demidov 6"
Zegras 6"
Suzuki 5"11
Caufield 5"8

Palat is listed at 6 foot / 183cm

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Both times they won the Stanley cup they had Kucherov (5"11),Point (5"10) and Palat (6"0) with the rest of the top 6 being 6"1+

In the hypothetical scenario where this really happened and Hughes backed out of the trade, I could see the reasoning behind it. That would've made quite a soft top 6 with Caufield, Suzuki, Zegras and Demidov.

We could also argue that despite Mailloux reputation, he's still a very valuable piece. You don't get too many 6"3 RHD with a mean streak that can skate, move the puck and put points on the board. He's going to be a legit top 4 D for a long time. Apparently, they also really, really liked Hage, so that could have weighed in their decision to pass on the trade.

Would I have made the trade? Probably not after drafting Demidov either. I feel like he's going to play a similar role to Zegras would have played in Montreal and Mailloux is now an important piece of our future since Barron seems to have stagnated. I'm not sure we can afford to trade him at this point. However, if Montreal missed out on Demidov and drafted a D instead, it's a trade I would have done for sure.

I just don’t see a world where mailloux is even on our radar….

He legit had character issues and not just claims by fan bases asking for him.

He’s basically a lesser version of luneau, doesn’t fill the actual void we’d need on rhd. He wouldn’t beat out zellweger/luneau or Mintyukov for powerplay time.

I think the source you’re posting, has some really bad info or wishful thinking…. Wouldn’t be the first time tho.

If the cost of zegras is a mid tier d prospect and a late 1st and we’ll throw back a 2nd…. He’d be gone already. Based off that I assume this scenario doesn’t actually exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad