Confirmed with Link: Trevor Linden steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I suppose. If that works for you then great. What bothers me is how people treat/talk about him as a person, as a human. He is the same human who played all those years as the Captain of our franchise, who left it all out on the ice for this franchise. They are not different people to me, same person.

I have no problem criticizing his performance as President. Just not him as a person to the extent people regularly do around here.
I don't believe I did (if I gave that impression - that wasn't my intent). Now Jim Benning on the other hand, I plead guilty. I just don't think Linden was right for the job (not saying he would never be right for the job only that I would've preferred the 'learning on the job' be done with another organization).

And as I mentioned, I've said the same about Ron Delorme. Obviously nowhere near in importance to the organization as a player but he too bled for the team as a player. I will always respect him for that.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If nothing else, I hope Frankie learned a lesson about bring ex-players and fan favorites with no Management experience to be the top dog for the club.
Could be different next time. Sedins were pretty smart guys on the ice

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Good riddance. 0 experience, coupled with an idiot GM.

Man oh man Linden's legacy in Vancouver is one of being a loser. Loser as a player, loser as a president. Look at the team since he took over, embarrassing.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Surprising news that came seemingly out of left field. I don't think it's a coincidence that this came immediately after the last remaining player to be signed (Virtanen) cane to terms today. Linden made sure that whatever work he had on the go was completed before parting ways.

Definitely not feeling the jubilation with liberal dabs of venom that some seem to be. Linden was a poor fit as president and his track record was spotty, but he's still a class act who's given pretty much all of his adult life to one or both of the organization and the city. I am still a huge fan of him, and I'm hopeful that some of the bitter feelings about him as president can fade with time.

I have no idea what to make of this in the larger view of "where do the Canucks go from here". A large part of that has to do with the personnel still remaining in the front office - namely Aquilini and Benning. I'm inclined to give Aquilini some benefit of the doubt seeing as how he oversaw one of the true golden ages for the franchise, although the rumours of his meddling in team affairs are worrisome. I worry about Benning, still, and him overseeing the whole hockey operations department - even on a temporary basis - worries me.

That said, he and Linden always presented themselves as if they were in lock step (even when they would inadvertently completely contradict one another). I guess now we find out if one or the other was really steering this ship now - if Benning goes about doing things in the same way that it's been done for the past four years, we can gather it was him. If things suddenly change, we can gather Linden was the one calling the shots.

Either way - I wish Linden luck in his next endeavours. I hope he decides to participate with the Alumni in some games, their mission statement and impact on the province and its inhabitants seems like a great fit for him. He's a good guy and I hope he enjoys whatever comes next.

For the team, I hope it's onward and upward.

Oh - and I'd rather Benning be signed to a five year extension than let Dean Lombardi anywhere near this team's front office. f*** that man.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Surprised.

One down two to go.

Man Benning doing press conferences as both the acting President and General Manager is going to be hilarious.

This has Titanic written all over it, Trevor wanted no part of this sinking ship.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
A lot a mixed emotions from everyone it seems. Not sure what to make of this. We all wanted this for a while then kinda went all mixed feeling so will see what happens here

Maybe bring in the Sedins as CO PRESIDENTS or something like or Vice Presidents i guess would be correct. Then maybe is too soon who knows also maybe want to murge the two threads lol
Mixed emotions? People should be estatic that we don’t have to deal with his condescending incompetence.

Reactions: Caspian

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Even if you believe that Linden was the one wanting to rebuild, the patience for the remaining idiots is dwindling from the casual fanbase so this is good regardless.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Pronger taking over would further add to my suspicions of the league taking over management of this team.
  • The league is nepotic as f*** and absolutely takes care of its own.
  • Sutter (family name), Gudbranson (1st around draft pick), Sbisa (1st round draft pick) - Three sweetheart contracts that have no basis in a merit based reality
  • The Canucks being the training ground for noob managers over and over again
  • Benning still having a job
  • Pronger is getting groomed
  • Maybe the league had something to do with getting AV getting fired and Torts getting hired as that sure that sure as hell wasn't Gillis's decision and Torts
So awesome being the town bicycle.

Now why would the Aquilinis allow this? Because they tried (and failed) jumping the SC queue in 2011 and as a result, got shunned by the league until 14-15.

Conspiracy theorists have at thee.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I found this part of JD Burke's report interesting:
Another is that Linden found the pushback from the media and fans alike distasteful and concerns about his legacy lingered.
That right there was Linden's exact problem. He was so used to people kissing his ass in this city he couldn't fathom the criticism. Clearly when it wasn't all wine and roses he get the f*** out. I also enjoy the use of the word "distasteful" because that strikes me as a word Linden would use to describe the situation.

Now we just need some actual hockey ops experience in this mofo (which will likely result in Benning's demotion or dismissal) and we'll be cooking.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Do you even listen to the radio properly?

That was Botchford.

And Ferraro agreed with Sekeres that linden was pro rebuild while Benning and Aquilini were much much less on board.

Aquilini's tweet suggested that he's the one in favour of a rebuild. It's hard to believe that Linden would step down because he wanted a complete rebuild and the Aquilini's wouldn't allow it. Whether or not he wanted a rebuild, that process was on its way to coming into fruition. Based on the timing of this resignation, it would seem more likely to me that Aquilini got tired of this "re-tooling" crap and ordered Linden/Benning to continue start/continue the rebuild, which Trevor was not prepared to do.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Botch talking about the possibility of Chris Pronger as a potential candidate for the next president..

Hahahahahhahahah I'd actually love that. Dale Tallon's understudy?? Hahahahahahahahahaha

I'm really worried it's going to be Mark Hunter, so Pronger would actually be better just for entertainment purposes.

May 31, 2006
If we’re going to bring in an ex-player as president, I would prefer Ron Francis over anyone else. He has managerial experience who never should have been fired from Carolina, and commands the respect and would bring much needed gravitas to the position.

Though I’d much rather prefer a business guy as president. Someone who will take a business-like approach to the job and knows how to manage people. What this club needs is a results oriented person who demands clearly set goals and results, and who won’t put up with Benning’s stupidity. Basically the exact opposite of Linden. Doesn’t even need a hockey background.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Aquilini's tweet suggested that he's the one in favour of a rebuild. It's hard to believe that Linden would step down because he wanted a complete rebuild. Whether or not he wanted a rebuild, that process was on its way to coming into fruition. Based on the timing of this resignation, it would seem more likely to me that Aquilini got tired of this "re-tooling" crap and ordered Linden/Benning to continue start/continue the rebuild, which Trevor was not prepared to do.
What revbuild? Look at the FA signings. Pretty clear he wasn’t on board with this.

And Benning rarely trades for picks or futures and is always looking to move young assets for tweeners.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

member 290103

Must admit that I am a bit confused hearing what I am about the regime in place. I had thought Linden was responsible for most of this lunacy - the bad signings, poor trades, etc. From what Sekeres is saying, this is all on Benning and Linden was pulling the other way. Maybe I was wrong about Linden. If I am, my apologies to #16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad