Confirmed with Link: Trevor Linden steps down

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Surprised.

One down two to go.

Man Benning doing press conferences as both the acting President and General Manager is going to be hilarious.

This has Titanic written all over it, Trevor wanted no part of this sinking ship.
Probably looked at the roster and finally realized there is no freaking way that this thing will be turned around in 3-4 years and decided that the longer he stays the more he will be associated to this train wreck and his brand will be thoroughly destroyed.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'd prefer somebody with actual experience as a successful NHL president (not sure which candidates are available). I don't think we can afford to go thru yet another rookie executive manager.

member 290103

Hahahahahhahahah I'd actually love that. Dale Tallon's understudy?? Hahahahahahahahahaha

I'm really worried it's going to be Mark Hunter, so Pronger would actually be better just for entertainment purposes.

Just please get someone that has some experience and a track record. Avoid the "big" names. No one is going to buy tickets because Pronger is the President.

Hire Laurence Gilman as President of Hockey Ops. Someone smart, savvy, educated, experienced and invested in the market.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This might be shock to some, but not me. Linden was a happy camper running his various enterprises, cycling 50 miles a day and basking in the glow of being a franchise icon, before Aquilini convinced him to take over with Canucks with 'zero' hockey managerial experience. There was nowhere for this team go go but 'down'. Now that they've wrung just about all of the goodwill the owners could out of Trevor, it was time for him to move on.

So what's next? Well undoubtedly the owners bring in some sort of super-boss with hockey ops experience, and what that means for the current Canucks' braintrust, including Jim Benning, is anyone's guess. More turmoil ahead.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
What revbuild? Look at the FA signings. Pretty clear he wasn’t on board with this.

And Benning rarely trades for picks or futures and is always looking to move young assets for tweeners.

Exactly. There was never an official rebuild and I just don't see Linden being the one to initiate that now given how close all of our top prospects are.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
There it is
Sekeres is going off right now, Basically saying it's jim benning who ****ed everything up and linden has been wanting a rebuild for awhile.

Sekeres: (paraphrasing)

Crazy!
There it is.

All you blasting Linden can eat the shit now?

What a terrible position he was put in. Loyalty to a fault. Should have fired or demoted Benning after 15/16

Oh well

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We won Gold at the '88 World Juniors. Also won 2 Silvers for the Senior squad at the World Champions and then the World Cup. Also made the Olympic roster in '98.

Oh, and Back-to-back Memorial Cups.
Might be the homer in me but I thought he was one of the better forwards in the Nagano Olympics.

Not his fault Crawford wouldn't let Gretzky take a shot in the shootout.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Might be the homer in me but I thought he was one of the better forwards in the Nagano Olympics:

Not his fault Crawford wouldn't let Gretzky take a shot in the shootout.

Can't say I remember much about '98, I was only 10. I mostly remember the disappointment and the criticism in the following years and leading up to SLC.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Summary of the sekeres bombshells before tsn1040 went off the air, These are paraphrased.
I am sure Tsn1040 will have a podcast eventually of it.

TSN1040: Sekeres
before they went off the air
a rising of growing frustration
Basically said linden got f***ed over
first few years he trusted benning because he was inexperienced, but after he got the hang out of being a president
he wanted 2 do more things his way
and the ownership and jimbo overruled him
linden wanted to do a full rebuild for years now
Linden never wanted 2 sign so many of their players
Linden basically forced the hansen trade
and tried 2 make more trades at the deadline but jimbo refused
I am guessing tanev
Linden wanted guddy to be traded (apparently)
jimbo wanted 2 resign him
And the last straw was the free agent signings this year
linden hated them and left basically
sekeres also said once jimbo got extended, Benning would go directly to ownership NOT linden

(The format is discord, because I re-posted it there)

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Aquilini is clearly, clearly using the word rebuild. Wonder if the backlash of the UFA signings is what finally did Linden in. Wouldn't be surprised if Linden was just too arrogant to ever align with the notion of "not trying" to win.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
It seems to be a reasonable assumption that either Benning or Linden wanted a more youthful rebuild and the other one didn't. As a result, there was a clashing of management structures.

As for Sekeres saying what he's saying, I don't trust him in the least. Maybe it's true, maybe not, but I'll have to hear it from a different and far better source before I even begin to believe it.

member 290103

It seems to be a reasonable assumption that either Benning or Linden wanted a more youthful rebuild and the other one didn't. As a result, there was a clashing of management structures.

As for Sekeres saying what he's saying, I don't trust him in the least. Maybe it's true, maybe not, but I'll have to hear it from a different and far better source before I even begin to believe it.

Why is Sekeres not trustworthy? I am not doubting it, but I am curious as to why everyone says this?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
The order of the food chain... Aquillini > Linden > Benning. Linden was Benning's boss... Benning was not Linden's boss... Benning does not dictate strategy to Linden.

It was a long time coming. Hopefully, Aquillini cleans house of Benning and Weisbrod. If not, I doubt anyone will do much worse than the last 4 years, which have been dreadful.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad