Confirmed with Link: Trevor Linden steps down

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
There it is

There it is.

All you blasting Linden can eat the **** now?

What a terrible position he was put in. Loyalty to a fault. Should have fired or demoted Benning after 15/16

Oh well

Geez way to kick a guy when he's down. Implying that he's a massive shill and/or liar is a bit rough.

Aquilini said Linden will make all hockey-related decisions.
"Trevor will make all of the decisions on hockey-related personnel, coaches, players, free agents," Aquilini said. "Trevor will in be charge of all hockey operations and make all the decisions."
Linden said he has been promised full autonomy.

"I have had a great conversation with Francesco and his family and they have given me full control to make the right decisions and full autonomy, Obviously, in any sport organization a good working relationship with ownership is important and I intend to spend a lot of time working with them and having them fully understand the decisions we make and why, but ultimately I am very comfortable with the autonomy that I have."

member 290103

He has quite the track record of being wrong.

Such as?

Just saw Farhan Lalji reporting that Linden met with Ownership last week and did not agree that the team was as close to the playoffs as they believed and wanted to continue to tear the team down. Ownership did not agree, he quit.

Reactions: lindgren

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Based on the timing of this resignation, it doesn't make sense that Linden is the one that wanted the rebuild. If Linden disagreed with the direction this team was currently going, he would have left immediately after the season, not wait until the end of July.

On the other hand, the Aquilinis don't get involved in hockey moves, so after some time to let the Beagle/Roussel signings sink in and how it's being viewed around the league (not good), they could have wanted the team to change direction and Linden was not on board with it, leading to the parting of ways.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Why is Sekeres not trustworthy? I am not doubting it, but I am curious as to why everyone says this?
I have heard him misquoting, or I guess mis-paraphrasing is more accurate - people a number of times. One example was the exact opposite of what the person actually said. This has happened after interviews that were run on 1040 where Sekeres gives his summation afterwards. I've gone, "Huh what? That's not what he said."

May 31, 2006
If true, good on Linden for getting out of this dumpster fire of an organization.

He was still ridiculously unqualified for the job though and his leaving is a good thing.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Pronger as potential new president ? Why not just set fire to the entire franchise and hire Messier ?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I don't even know how to process this. This is completely out of the blue to me. Did not see it coming at all.

I don't necessary believe those comments from Sekeres, but if what he is saying is untrue then what is the alternate explanation?

Reactions: MS

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Such as?

Just saw Farhan Lalji reporting that Linden met with Ownership last week and did not agree that the team was as close to the playoffs as they believed and wanted to continue to tear the team down. Ownership did not agree, he quit.

I seem to remember him tweeting out that his very reliable source confirmed Tavares was staying in NY, like 2 hours before he signed in Toronto.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Damn, the TSN report indicates Linden was forced out because he wanted to extend the rebuild, wbile ownership wants playoffs this year. Sounds like Linden left (or was forced out) following the UFA binge on bottom-six forwards. Still got the wrong guys in charge.

Reactions: geebaan

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Summary of the sekeres bombshells before tsn1040 went off the air, These are paraphrased.
I am sure Tsn1040 will have a podcast eventually of it.

(The format is discord, because I re-posted it there)
Adding this.
Farhan reporting Linden and ownership met about a week ago. Linden used 4-5 teams as examples of how he wanted to do the rebuild. Ownership didn’t agree.

Farhan saying ownership may give Benning chance to run things to start the season and see what he can do under their direction.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Sure sounds like ownership and jimbo wanna make the playoffs in the next few years.
While linden wanted to gtfo as fast as possible before it gets worse.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Aquilini's tweet suggested that he's the one in favour of a rebuild. It's hard to believe that Linden would step down because he wanted a complete rebuild and the Aquilini's wouldn't allow it. Whether or not he wanted a rebuild, that process was on its way to coming into fruition. Based on the timing of this resignation, it would seem more likely to me that Aquilini got tired of this "re-tooling" crap and ordered Linden/Benning to continue start/continue the rebuild, which Trevor was not prepared to do.

This is what his tweet said:

A rebuild is a long, slow, gradual process. Everybody needs to be united behind the same vision and pulling in the same direction.

You could say what Benning & company think they're doing right now is a "long, slow, gradual process" where they 'insulate' the kids with a veteran heavy team by signing guys like Beagle and Roussel. That is the current vision of the team, making what Aquilini said there kind of a loaded statement.

From the other reports it's been suggested that Linden wanted to go with a more youth heavy rebuild. So lets try and read between the lines here.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I don't even know how to process this. This is completely out of the blue to me. Did not see it coming at all.

I don't necessary believe those comments from Sekeres, but if what he is saying is untrue then what is the alternate explanation?

This team was suppose to be competitive during this time of "re-tooling" and instead, they've been the worst team in the league in the last three seasons. I think it's more likely that the Aquilinis told Linden to knock it off and just do the rebuild, than it is for Linden to suddenly change course on something that he wanted to do from day one.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
  • Building frustration btwn Linden/ownership
  • Meeting btwn Linden and ownership in last 2 weeks
  • Linden's vision for rebuild not being followed by team
  • Linden more draft/develop, Benning more aligned w/ ownership
  • Ownership thinks playoffs realistic with FA signings
  • Linden unsupportive of recent FA signings
  • Benning more aligned with ownership, safe for time being
Per some guy on reddit, summarizing farhans comments.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This team was suppose to be competitive during this time of "re-tooling" and instead, they've been the worst team in the league in the last three seasons. I think it's more likely that the Aquilinis told Linden to knock it off and just do the rebuild, than it is for Linden to suddenly change course on something that he wanted to do from day one.

So why now? Why let the awful Ufa signings go through at all?

Unless it's in response to the reaction to those signings. Could be.

Reactions: geebaan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad