Tremendous Free Agency For Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Two solid signings: Bertuzzi, Domi
Two terrible signings: Klingberg, Reaves

The next series of moves (Nylander, Matthews contract, additional D) are key to a successful offseason.

• Haha
Reactions: OptimusReim

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
One problem.

Keefe is still the coach.
I felt this way as well, but I'm willing to give Keefe another chance to work with Treliving and a different type of supporting cast of players.

It's not as if there are any clear cut better coaching options out there at the moment.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
What a refreshing change to sign three tough forwards who can score goals and fight along with a defenceman who can effectively run the power play and put up 50 to 60 points. All were bargain priced and none have ridiculous term.

As opposed to throwing millions down the drain for mediocre back up goalies like Pete Mrazek and Mutt Murray.

This is what happens when you replace an incompetent hack like Dubas with a professional GM.
You can't rail against Dubas shills (100% well deserved) and then make a comment like this IMO.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
It's never as good or as bad as fans on the extremes think it is. Are the signings going to result in more wins/points next year? Doubtful, all these new players have to learn a new system, get familiar with new linemates, that is going to take time. We will be 6th to 9th place in the East next year.

Reactions: kb

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
That’s with Muzzin and Robertson on the IR rather the LTIR and the minors. That’s 6.5 of the 8.

If they unload Murray and sign Samsonov to 3.75, they’re 750k over, which is solved by sending Timmins down and going with a 20 man roster.
Would be interesting to see what the QO for Samsonov would be. Thats likely how the Leafs will handle his contract and I could see it being 3 mil or less. Would like to see confirmation on what that number could be. Timmins has to clear waivers.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I am not going to crown BT for his recent moves, but there's quite a bit to like:

Short-term deals for many of the new UFAs.

Size and forechecking in the top 6.

Center depth

Addressing the lack of transition/scoring on the PP (mostly a serious playoff problem for Toronto in recent years).

Don't get me wrong. I think what Tre did was positive, but I'm not going award him GM of the year.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It's never as good or as bad as fans on the extremes think it is. Are the signings going to result in more wins/points next year? Doubtful, all these new players have to learn a new system, get familiar with new linemates, that is going to take time. We will be 6th to 9th place in the East next year.

Who cares where we are in the east. Conference standings mean nothing. As long as we are top 3 in the division that’s all that matters. To be honest leafs can easily win the Atlantic.

Reactions: CincoHolio

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
1/3 of the work done. 33% is a failure still. So no, not tremendous.

1. Forwards are okay.
2. Defence needs to be meaner and harder to play against.
3. We don't know what's happening with the Matthews Nylander and Samsonov contracts.

Reactions: MJK

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think we should be favorites to win the Atlantic division.

Reactions: CincoHolio

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
A lot of posters seem to be a bit off on what Bert and Max bring to the table. Not fighters, not particularly good on the forecheck, can't pk, terrible defensively. Marner/Matthews will not feel taller or safer. Probably the opposite. If you thought the Bunting show was tiresome for officials, just wait. Matthews/Marner will have an even bigger target on their backs. And Ryan Reaves can look scary from the bench or press box. Won't make a difference.

They do bring much needed scoring, and like Dubas signings, they're one year mercenaries.

The Reaves signing is just brutal.

We need to shore up defense. But there's a lot of time for that.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Dubas is gone. It's over.

I'd love to see our discourse move beyond a constant rehash of what he did and didn't do and comparing that to the new GM's work.

Reactions: LeafSteel
Sep 18, 2009
Regular season ?
A lot of posters seem to be a bit off on what Bert and Max bring to the table. Not fighters, not particularly good on the forecheck, can't pk, terrible defensively. Marner/Matthews will not feel taller or safer. Probably the opposite. If you thought the Bunting show was tiresome for officials, just wait. Matthews/Marner will have an even bigger target on their backs. And Ryan Reaves can look scary from the bench or press box. Won't make a difference.

They do bring much needed scoring, and like Dubas signings, they're one year mercenaries.

The Reaves signing is just brutal.

We need to shore up defense. But there's a lot of time for that.
Need to swap out the defense for some real defense

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
What did the Caps do after 7 years of the Ovi era? Where is their Ovi/Backstrom/Kuznetsov trade?

What did the Bolts do after 7 years of the Stamkos/Hedman era? Where is their Stamkos/Kucherov/Point trade?

You'd think for being the hockey mecca of the world the Leafs would have smarter fans...
So were their 7 playoff years all (except 1) first round exits as well (and not starting on time, appearing disinterested at times, constantly staying on the perimeter, etc.)?

Reactions: egd27

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
The Reaves signing was ridiculously bad... he's signed until he's 40, and not on a contract that can be fully buried.

Klingberg, Bertuzzi, and Domi are al fine signings in isolation; but are repeats of the same problem -- which is taking the "core 4" and recycling depth chairs around them -- the "2 tier class" of the Maple Leafs. The fact that they're all 1 year deals, screams just how obvious Treliving & co view this.

Luke Schenn was a tough loss, but he's not a good buy at $2.75m X 3 year defenceman at 33 years old. No hard feelings there, and you have to wish him the best.

ROR is tough. Presumably, the Leafs had a very similar contract offer to ROR on the table; and the fact that a winner like that chose Nashville over Toronto should be a black mark on this organization. Nashville has $9m in dead cap this year, and over $11m in dead cap next year.

You walk into NMCs for Marner & Matthews, without a contract in place for Matthews. That's a problem and now risk allowing history to repeat itself with what Johnny Gaudreau did to Calgary. As for Nylander, his 10-team NTC isn't the end of the world; although with everyone having spent their money now, a deal could be tougher.

My biggest question(s).... you know John Tavares is a potential issue at #2C...what did you do to address that? Tyler Bertuzzi isn't a centre. Is Max Domi one? Who's the #3C on this team?

Sign John Klingberg that's great, but you also had a need for size and some tenacity on the blueline.... where's that coming from?
Yep I guess Tree is done or you are assuming such.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
The pro Dubas crowd on here makes it really hard to move on.

Did you not see their posts yesterday bashing Treliving relentlessly after only the 1st day of UFA?

Agreed it was stupid to jump to conclusions.

Let’s also not hurt ourselves by patting ourselves on the back. We got a couple of decent players on one year deals. Big whoop.

We still have a ton of work to get team to championship level. Sprecifically, on defense.

We have major contracts issues to figure out. Let’s see the 34 deal and what 88 does. Sign, or trade.

Everyone needs to chill.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I don't mind all of the signings short of Reaves and Kampf.

Despite the “small” amount, Reaves is a character guy and 13th forward. Yes he will change the locker room dynamic in a sense but he alone wont change culture.

Kampf signing is too much for a 4th liner with little offensive capability. Do I feel comfortable with him against top lines, yes. But that requires two other components with him as well. Just too much for a role player when you are this cash strapped.

So those two combined have accumulated for a decent cap hit when theres other holes to fill.

Domi and Bertuzzi are great signings as players. Questionable personalities to place into the team, so we will see how they mesh.

Klingberg has the potential to be an absolute steal. Pair him with McCabe or Brodie for some stability and you’ve got a nice pairing. He absolutely has his defensive short comings, but there is not questioning his ability to move the puck and find the right player.

Reactions: rocketman588

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The pro Dubas crowd on here makes it really hard to move on.

Did you not see their posts yesterday bashing Treliving relentlessly after only the 1st day of UFA?
he had a terrible day 1, his day 2 was good.

I don't see a "pro Dubas crowd", I see people generally saying, good job on day 2, your day 1 was trash.

Reactions: kb and Gary Nylund

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Regular season ?

I think so, the last couple of years we had an unreal November then coasted the rest of the way, I'm not sure a team that has this many new faces will come together quickly to start the season.

I think we should be favorites to win the Atlantic division.

With this many new faces learning a new system? Keep in mind there are a lot of young hungry teams that have improved, points may not be as easy as they were in previous years. We may have to play track meets, first team to 7 goals to win a game, our overall defence is going to be putrid.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
We can keep shuffling the deck as much as we want with support players but it’s always going to come back to the core no matter who we sign.

There has to be changes to the core. Changes that make sense though of course.

Decent signings regardless.

Reactions: MJK

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Kampf signing is too much for a 4th liner with little offensive capability. Do I feel comfortable with him against top lines, yes. But that requires two other components with him as well. Just too much for a role player when you are this cash strapped.

If Kampf was actually a real 4th liner, it would be too much. He may be written there on a lineup card, but he’s still our #1 go-to guy for defensive situations and on the PK.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Zadina waived by Detroit.

I'd give him a shot with our offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad