TSN: Treliving: "We've got young players for the 1st time in a long time that are pushing..."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

It has been said Leafs core does not have an Alpha. Chose One

• Cowan

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Minten

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Grebyonkin

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Knies

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Other Prospect

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Tanev - Interim

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not sure why you're being passive-aggressive right now...

The way someone uses language is important. It is painfully obvious when someone reads your comment that they would not understand the point you were making.
I am not at all passive aggressive. But yes, they way someone would fully understand my comment would be to read the comment that I replied to. By doing that they would understand the context.

Reactions: Muggs and myleafs

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I am not at all passive aggressive. But yes, they way someone would fully understand my comment would be to read the comment that I replied to. By doing that they would understand the context.
I read the whole comment thread. Your comment didn't make sense.

• Haha
Reactions: exporta

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Unlike other teams that have recently claimed their offseason checklists are complete, the Maple Leafs are still open for business, general manager Brad Treliving said on TSN 1050 last week. “To me, we’ve still got five weeks or so till camp,” Treliving said. “And, you know, we’re not set yet. We continue to look at ways to make our team better.

It’s more like four weeks now, but Treliving’s right in that there are still multiple minor moves Toronto intends to make before veterans roll in for training camp. Chief among them is likely finding a home for disgruntled winger Nicholas Robertson, who remains an unsigned RFA after reportedly requesting a trade in June. The 2019 second-round pick finally broke into an everyday role with the Leafs last season after a few years of being relegated to minor-league roles, producing well in a depth role with 14 goals and 27 points in 56 games. That was good enough for 39 points over a full 82-game sample, but his ice time remained limited at 11:23 per game. Going pointless and averaging less than 10 minutes per game in six playoff contests against the Bruins didn’t boost his stock.

That means there’s still an unknown ripple effect on the Leafs’ forward depth. They’ll undoubtedly replace Robertson’s role one way or another, either by recouping a similar player in a swap or making a UFA signing to avoid putting too much pressure on rookies Easton Cowan and Fraser Minten to crack the opening night roster. Doing so would be a tricky fit with the salary cap if injured defenseman Jani Hakanpaa ever puts pen to paper on his reported two-year, $3MM deal, though. As things stand, they only have $1.275MM in space with a roster size of 21, per PuckPedia, which is not enough to be cap-compliant with Hakanpaa on the roster to start the season.

Reactions: Nineteen67

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
As far as I can tell the main reason people are down on Minten is the WJC last year. Perhaps some link between his draft position and size to Freddy the Goat.

I've still got high hopes for him. He didnt have crazy junior numbers, but I think he can be one of those all around players who excels at the pro game, maybe just not this year.
Hes a potential third line center whos talked about as if hes the second coming (untouchable).

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Low: Fred the GOAT the sequel
Mid: Maybe Scott Laughton, peaked at low 40 points, solid all around 3C
High: Mikael Backlund high 40/50 point player who got into outer range of Selke votes.

Henrique had more offensive flair early in his career, has settled into more of a grinder of late.
I think the leafs may have another Matt Stajan on their hands but a little more physical and defensive minded.

Reactions: ULF_55

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Any improvememt in this team will have to come from these kids.

Expecting Matthews and Nylander to repeat their career years is a bit of a stretch. Tavares is likely to continue regressing. And a healthy Marner will contribute a bit more but not enough to make a difference.

It's all up to these young players now.

These kids have dreamed of this opportunity their whole lives. Now they finally get to live it out. This is their chance to shine on the world's largest hockey stage.

Which is why I take it as a sign of dysfunction in the dressing room Robertson demanding a trade.

It's especially odd given the coaching change and more opportunity with Bertuzzi gone. This was his chance to show the world what he's got but for some reason he still wants out. I hope they trade him before his piss poor attitude rubs off on the rest of the budding young stars.

I've already got Cowan pencilled in as Marners replacement except without all the baggage.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Knies will be lucky to top out as a 30 goal guy, imo.

I like him cause he's a big body and he plays honest hockey but he hasn't really shown much instinct in the offensive zone.

John Leclair and Shane Doan showed nothing first few years as goal scorers. Then they blossomed

If he can stay healthy, only reason he won't score 30 goals is because he doesn't want to

All the tools are there, plays a hard game. Lot to like about this kid.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
John Leclair and Shane Doan showed nothing first few years as goal scorers. Then they blossomed

If he can stay healthy, only reason he won't score 30 goals is because he doesn't want to

All the tools are there, plays a hard game. Lot to like about this kid.

Not sure that Shane Doan is a good example here against my point lol

Reactions: fahad203

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
...to get in our line-up".

Aug 14th TSN overdrive interview with Brad Treliving.

He mentioned some encouraging things about TOR's young players:

"Matthew Knies is coming off a couple of regular season games and a playoff series. (Now) he's got a year under his belt. Bobby McMann wasn't even talked about. He didn't start on the roster with our team. The Holmbergs (Pontus Holmberg). "

I like where he's going with this. I'm pulling for our young players. I actually like who he mentioned. I even think they could be likeable players by our fanbase (if they're not already), and possibly unsung heroes in the playoffs.

I found it significant as to who he didn't mention. One being Robertson then nothing of Cowen/Minton. Perhaps that was by design. Perhaps they were accidentally omitted.

Are we looking at Knies and McMann as our starting top 6 left wingers, and Holmberg ad our 4C? It wouldn't be a stretch IMHO.

What do you think? Is Knies capable of 50 pts?

Could McMann contribute with 15+ goals?
Well you got to hope a successful youth movement equates into playoff success since the rest of the team are playoff no shows………..

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Not having cap space is a sign of a bad organization.
Good attempt at a pivot there. The issue with letting Hyman go was the 7 year term at $5.5 the Leafs decided not to match. Clearly a big mistake in hindsight, but the 7 years seemed risky given his history with knee injuries.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Knies will be lucky to top out as a 30 goal guy, imo.

I like him cause he's a big body and he plays honest hockey but he hasn't really shown much instinct in the offensive zone.
May depend on who he is lined up with, I doubt anyone playing with 34 is going to get 30

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I’ll be watching for when Knies hits 50 but I definitely won’t be holding my breath.
Point being; just because someone does not look like they have offensive skills now, at age 21, does not mean they won't down the line.

For the record, I think Knies has far more upside than Hyman ever did at the same age and when you look at their playing style, it really isn't that different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad