TSN: Treliving: "We've got young players for the 1st time in a long time that are pushing..."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

It has been said Leafs core does not have an Alpha. Chose One

• Cowan

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Minten

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Grebyonkin

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Knies

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Other Prospect

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Tanev - Interim

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They’re counting on McMann Knies and Cowan to carry the team in the playoffs when it gets tougher to play.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Knies and McCann. Yep. Keepers. Holmberg? JAG. Robertson? Buh-Bye. Minton? Not gonna amount to much. Cowan? Unknown.
Minton will need some time but he could be a good 3rd line player. I don’t think they’ll be counting on him like they will some of the others.
I hope Cowan becomes a star, but I worry about him being groomed by Nylander and Marner.

• Haha
Reactions: exporta

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think it's because they downplay his puck skills and offense so he comes across like a Matt Stajan.
I'm not sure its "they" downplaying but rater "tHEy" downplaying his own as Minten is a defense first player.
It a pretty good comparable overall, slightly different styles.

Matty Stajan made the NHL as a 19 year old and posted a pretty impressive first year with 14 goals and 27 points in 69 games. (With Stajan's junior #'s more impressive).

1723990009547.png

Minten didn't stick in his 19 year age year in the NHL and now is 20 years old but if he makes the team if produced Matty Stajan like #'s it would be a huge success.

1723990220547.png

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Not to you anyway.
Not sure why you're being passive-aggressive right now...

The way someone uses language is important. It is painfully obvious when someone reads your comment that they would not understand the point you were making.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
...to get in our line-up".

Aug 14th TSN overdrive interview with Brad Treliving.

He mentioned some encouraging things about TOR's young players:

"Matthew Knies is coming off a couple of regular season games and a playoff series. (Now) he's got a year under his belt. Bobby McMann wasn't even talked about. He didn't start on the roster with our team. The Holmbergs (Pontus Holmberg). "

I like where he's going with this. I'm pulling for our young players. I actually like who he mentioned. I even think they could be likeable players by our fanbase (if they're not already), and possibly unsung heroes in the playoffs.

I found it significant as to who he didn't mention. One being Robertson then nothing of Cowen/Minton. Perhaps that was by design. Perhaps they were accidentally omitted.

Are we looking at Knies and McMann as our starting top 6 left wingers, and Holmberg ad our 4C? It wouldn't be a stretch IMHO.

What do you think? Is Knies capable of 50 pts?

Could McMann contribute with 15+ goals?

I'm rooting for Knies but his skating will hold him back if he does not work on it considerably. When McMann came up two years ago for spot duty , he looked , right away like a guy who belonged in the big's. I'm pretty high on him, I hope he had a pro offseason and tears it up. Knies for a joke should be a 15 to 20 goal guy, McMann should be a 20 to 25 goal guy. I'm letting Robertson rot on the vine unless someone blows me away with an offer. Holloway got an offer sheet... Robertson has not... that should make him think twice about a power move to try and force a trade, he needs to be on the ice building his brand. Not sitting at home watching games on TV.

What terrible organization trades a guy like Hyman ?

A very poorly run one.

or lets him walk for nothing at least Florida got something in return.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
As long as he doesn't lose confidence playing on the top line. He really shouldn't be playing with AM
But why not? He is not an 18 year old, and this will.be his third year in the NHL (first was very abridged I know. He did get a taste of NHL and playoffs and then an off-season to prepare).

He clicks with Matty
He plays a style that suits Matty and a playmaker (Marner or Domi)
He brings another element of size to that line
...and he frees up someone to help carry another line.

I really like Knies Matthews Domi as the top line.

It means we can spread Marner, Nylander and Tavares across the next two. I think we might see more balance and depth from Berube in line-making than we saw from Keefe.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
"Play the Kids"

I would really like to see a "Kids Line" in Toronto this year to cheer for.

3rd line: Knies ---- Minten --- Cowen

Say hypothetically both Minten and Cowan make this team out of camp, I think maybe ideally that you wouldn’t want to load them both on the same line with so little experience.

So it’s kind of an interesting debate. Spread the youth out with experienced and reliable players. Or put them all together but place them a bit further down the lineup.

This all said. I’ll be shocked if Knies doesn’t start with Matthews.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Grebyonkin will be the next big one.
As far as come out of nowhere, yeah. You cant say Knies, McCann and Holmberg are pushing for jobs because Knies is top 6, McCann proved he is a 3rd liner and Holmberg played all over. So, he must see one young guy or maybe two.

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad