TSN: Treliving: "We've got young players for the 1st time in a long time that are pushing..."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

It has been said Leafs core does not have an Alpha. Chose One

• Cowan

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Minten

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Grebyonkin

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Knies

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Other Prospect

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Tanev - Interim

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Say hypothetically both Minten and Cowan make this team out of camp, I think maybe ideally that you wouldn’t want to load them both on the same line with so little experience.

So it’s kind of an interesting debate. Spread the youth out with experienced and reliable players. Or put them all together but place them a bit further down the lineup.

This all said. I’ll be shocked if Knies doesn’t start with Matthews.

Starting Knies with Matthews as he approaches RFA status and no contract on the horizon seems… dumb.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Starting Knies with Matthews as he approaches RFA status and no contract on the horizon seems… dumb.

Only, in the next ask scenario.

Catch 22 ... you want the best you can get from Knies, but you want the worst you can get from Knies.

Do you sabotage a season for a better long term deal? But if you're Knies do you sign a long term deal if the team has purposely limited your ability to show your best?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Only, in the next ask scenario.

Catch 22 ... you want the best you can get from Knies, but you want the worst you can get from Knies.

Do you sabotage a season for a better long term deal? But if you're Knies do you sign a long term deal if the team has purposely limited your ability to show your best?

I think you start Knies off nice and easy, get him signed medium term to something decent and then you throw him on Matthews line once it’s all locked in. Like we learned the hard way last time. If you believe in the player, get it done early.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think you start Knies off nice and easy, get him signed medium term to something decent and then you throw him on Matthews line once it’s all locked in. Like we learned the hard way last time. If you believe in the player, get it done early.
What we should have learned the last time is that when you intentionally put players in worse positions to limit their potential, it not only hurts the team in the moment, but tends to backfire and make players not want to sign early.

Reactions: bax

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What we should have learned the last time is that when you intentionally put players in worse positions to limit their potential, it not only hurts the team in the moment, but tends to backfire and make players not want to sign early.

There’s going to be to be a number that works between the Leafs and Knies, and whatever it is now, it’s most likely going to be less than in the future.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
How many third lines would be better than

Mcmann-Tavares-Marner

My only concern would be McMann and staying healthy.

Grebenkin-Tavares-marner would be fine.
My comment was at least partly tongue in cheek (hence the emoji), but with the decline in JT, and with Marner being less effective without Matty to draw attention and score lots, I would consider it a possibility.

A third line with speed and some hitting could well neutralize them

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Not sure why you're being passive-aggressive right now...

The way someone uses language is important. It is painfully obvious when someone reads your comment that they would not understand the point you were making.
I understood it clearly. Was pretty straightforward.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
...to get in our line-up".

Aug 14th TSN overdrive interview with Brad Treliving.

He mentioned some encouraging things about TOR's young players:

"Matthew Knies is coming off a couple of regular season games and a playoff series. (Now) he's got a year under his belt. Bobby McMann wasn't even talked about. He didn't start on the roster with our team. The Holmbergs (Pontus Holmberg). "

I like where he's going with this. I'm pulling for our young players. I actually like who he mentioned. I even think they could be likeable players by our fanbase (if they're not already), and possibly unsung heroes in the playoffs.

I found it significant as to who he didn't mention. One being Robertson then nothing of Cowen/Minton. Perhaps that was by design. Perhaps they were accidentally omitted.

Are we looking at Knies and McMann as our starting top 6 left wingers, and Holmberg ad our 4C? It wouldn't be a stretch IMHO.

What do you think? Is Knies capable of 50 pts?

Could McMann contribute with 15+ goals?

it's almost like we stopped drafting for a considerable period of time. It's like we overpaid for JT we did not need or better yet had no use for at all with Matthews and Kadri on the team.

Now you already signed the most expansive UFA ever, you are about to overpay RFA on false premise that the market will catch up. It did not, so now you need to win an win fast to justify the contract madness.

Fake glasses had all picks and Matthews, Marner and Willie on ELCs.

yes, COVID happened, but it affected everyone, not just incompetent Dubas, unlike the narrative some like to spin.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
it's almost like we stopped drafting for a considerable period of time. It's like we overpaid for JT we did not need or better yet had no use for at all with Matthews and Kadri on the team.

Would you have traded Kadri after he got suspended again like in Colorado?

How many more chances does he get? Kadri got traded because he was a liability.

"he cared", he still put up bad numbers with the Leafs and couldn't control himself.

7 points in 19 games.

Marner produced better than this during the playoffs this year...

Now you already signed the most expansive UFA ever, you are about to overpay RFA on false premise that the market will catch up. It did not, so now you need to win an win fast to justify the contract madness.

Expansive? Maybe expensive?

He is not the most expensive UFA ever.

The best time for them to win was when they were getting amazing value from Matthews/Marner on their ELCs, but they wasted those years... Marleau was the biggest addition.

Fake glasses had all picks and Matthews, Marner and Willie on ELCs.

Are those players good again and not part of the problem?

Can never keep track.

Reading this board, it sounds like the best move would have been to trade all those players and rebuild right away, they are playoff losers.

yes, COVID happened, but it affected everyone, not just incompetent Dubas, unlike the narrative some like to spin.

It affected everyone, but some teams more than others.

Can you name a team that it affected more? It can't affect everyone the same.

Cap projections are part of contract negotiations, even after the pandemic, the timing sucked a lot for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad