Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Eight Year Extension ($8.75M AAV w/ Six Years of NMC and 2 Years of M-NTC)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Stalker

Idiots

Just think in 3-4 years, they’ll have nearly 23 million tied up in a 2nd line wing a bottom 6 center and a fading 2nd pairing Dman.

The laughingstock of the NHL strikes again.
Look on the bright side. Maybe some of them will be able to go on LTIR.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
$1m less at 6 years and I'd be totally fine with this.

$8.75m x 8 years for a guy I like but disappears in the playoffs and at the end of the season is a lot, especially given the current roster make up of the team.
Disappears in the playoffs? You mean the two times they've made the playoffs during his career? A first round exit his second season with the team and a fake playoff run. Quite the statement there

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
better hope we don't hit COVID 2...

It's an unfortunate contract. I like TK and I wouldn't have minded re-signing him if they had just another year to roll on a draft class.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If our PP was just normal, his pts would go up 5-10 so whatever.

At least he is likable.

Crazy rebuild. 2 RW's signed for 8 years each with Michkov.

What an era.
If our centers were normal, he'd have scored even more than 2.27 pp60 at 5x5.
I mean Frost is the best center he's had the last three years and he's a marginal 2C.
Meanwhile, Guentzel played with Crosby the last three years.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I mean you pay for the talent not the depth players. But then again, if you are going to pay Konecny market value you may as well trade him and sign someone else. But I dont believe flyers would get a good value for Kony nor I think they would sign someone whose actually good instead of another Hayes or not butcher any futures they get from the trade. So if we take into account what they are capable of thats actually solid deal.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

At least he is likable.

What an era.
I think both Foerster and Tippett played as much on the left side as the right side.
And Michkov is a LH shot playing RW.

I think a trade for a center is a good possibility, Farabee, Tippett, Cates, Foerster, Michkov, TK, Brink, 7 forwards and 6 top 9 slots, while Laughton is really a LW playing center. So Laughton and a draft pick for a center is my prediction.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I don't hate it. They were never tearing this dilapidated building down to the bones, so I'm fine with putting money into something of actual value.
Nevermind tearing the building down, they can't even give this dilapidated hovel a fresh coat of paint. That's too risky, and besides, they like the taste of the old lead based paint chips that occasionally flake off.

are they of the line of thinking..just get into the playoffs and then anything can happen?
Assuming there is thinking happening is generous.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What random extra money? The cap has been rising. That's what players like him are worth these days.
He got more than a winger who scored 67 goals

At least he is likable.

What an era.
They also have two young RWs breaking in with Foerster and Brink. I get that some of them can play the opposite side, but it's still a very weird way to (re)build a roster.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK's cap hit is 8.75 not 8.4.
His extension doesn't go into effect until 2025, so I pro-rated his salary in terms of % of cap to compare with FA salaries in 2024 (first offseason with a rising cap in 4 years?).

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
So like, can there be any way to read this signing other than "we think our current team plus current prospects will be enough to win a cup"?

Brink has TK+OT+MM ahead of him on the depth chart for a decade, so I guess he's gone at the end of his next contract after he spends the next 2 seasons fighting for 4th line minutes with Hathaway.

The long term planning for this franchise is atrocious.

Last edited:

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
So like, can there be any way to read this signing other than "we think our current team plus current prospects will be enough to win a cup"?

Brink has TK+OT+MM ahead of him on the depth chart for a decade, so I guess he's gone at the end of his next contact after he spends the next 2 seasons fighting for 4th line minutes with Hathaway.

The long term planning for this franchise is atrocious.
I don't think they think they are there..but I think they feel they are super close with MM coming over early

Reactions: freakydallas13

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
His extension doesn't go into effect until 2025, so I pro-rated his salary in terms of % of cap to compare with FA salaries in 2024 (first offseason with a rising cap in 4 years?).
Still doesn't change the fact that he will be paid $8.75M per season and his cap hit will be $8.75M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad