Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think he's talking about reverse sear,

Season and Cook the steak to about 10 degrees off the desired target temp in the oven or with inderect heat on the BBQ at a lower temp, pull them out and sear in a piping hot cast iron pan or on a hot BBQ for about 45 secs per side to sear/finish. I've also seen some use a torch to finish

Works best with roasts and think cut steak, not recommended for a thin cuts
It locks in the juices.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
My mother used to make roast beef in the oven. We all loved the outside browned parts from basting. Dipped bread in the drippings too. Delicious. Yorkshire pudding too. However, she always cooked it well done; I prefer pink on the inside.
Jesus, Yorkshire pudding and a nice Oven Roast MR with roasted potatoes and roasted carrots. You are killing me. I’m on the lookout for a stray cow.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This was delicious

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpeg
    IMG_0541.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Bileur and Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
My mother used to make roast beef in the oven. We all loved the outside browned parts from basting. Dipped bread in the drippings too. Delicious. Yorkshire pudding too. However, she always cooked it well done; I prefer pink on the inside.

Guessing she was Irish/English?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Head to the food thread and let me know your favourite restaurant steak within 50KM of Ottawa.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
My Granny made a mean Yorkshire pudding aswell, I remember her Sunday roasts fondly

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Shit, one of the guys on the main board hates Green so much it's leaking into my blood. Now I'm back to being scared.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What do you mean? Like you cook it for a bit, take it off and let it cool, then finish cooking?
The idea with the initial sear is to build as much crust as possible. However, you only want to cook it to the first temperature down from what you're aiming for and take it off the grill/out of the pan to let it rest on a wire rack. Let the steak cool down completely, which is the most important part as it helps retain all the juices of the steak. The reason steaks often lose their texture and the impact of the flavour is dulled is because they don't rest between sears and when you cut into them you end up with that steak juice puddle on your plate. That's no bueno. The last part after cooling is to crank the heat to maximum and go for a final sear, this is to bring the steak to the desired temperature, so it's actually the fastest part of the cook. Depending on how thick cut the steak is, this often ranges from 60 seconds per side to 2.5 minutes per side.

When you slice into your steak, you won't have any juices escaping, you'll have a gorgeous crust to counter balance the texture and your temperature will be right on the money while the steak retains all of the heat.

I like thick-cut dry aged ribeyes. The final sear is where I baste with a mixture of dry aged beef fat, thyme and garlic that's been rendered over the heat. If you baste in the first part, you risk "boiling" your steak rather than searing/grilling.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
The idea with the initial sear is to build as much crust as possible. However, you only want to cook it to the first temperature down from what you're aiming for and take it off the grill/out of the pan to let it rest on a wire rack. Let the steak cool down completely, which is the most important part as it helps retain all the juices of the steak. The reason steaks often lose their texture and the impact of the flavour is dulled is because they don't rest between sears and when you cut into them you end up with that steak juice puddle on your plate. That's no bueno. The last part after cooling is to crank the heat to maximum and go for a final sear, this is to bring the steak to the desired temperature, so it's actually the fastest part of the cook. Depending on how thick cut the steak is, this often ranges from 60 seconds per side to 2.5 minutes per side.

When you slice into your steak, you won't have any juices escaping, you'll have a gorgeous crust to counter balance the texture and your temperature will be right on the money while the steak retains all of the heat.

I like thick-cut dry aged ribeyes. The final sear is where I baste with a mixture of dry aged beef fat, thyme and garlic that's been rendered over the heat. If you baste in the first part, you risk "boiling" your steak rather than searing/grilling.

I feel like this is a new internet trend, don't think I've ever heard of this method before.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I feel like this is a new internet trend, don't think I've ever heard of this method before.
With a reverse sear, it’s not that long cooling really, 2 minutes maybe, while the cue increases in temperature.
Some will just leave the steak on while it increases, some just put it off to the side for a couple of minutes.

Since the first time I tried reverse sear, this is now my favourite way to cook steak.

Like one poster said, probably better for this to be in the lounge.

Last edited:

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
With a reverse sear, it’s not that long cooling really, 2 minutes maybe, while the cue increases in temperature.
Some will just leave the steak on while it increases, some just put it off to the side for a couple of minutes.

Since the first time I tried reverse sear, this is now my favourite way to cook steak.

Like one poster said, probably better for this to be on the lounge.
I'm aware of the reverse sear. I made a post about it like 5 posts ago. BSP is talking about searing it twice.
With a small amount of google-fu I now see it's not that new, just a method I haven't encountered much of I guess. I don't really see what it accomplishes that a reverse sear doesn't, other than a slightly thicker crust maybe.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You can only get food like that from people who grew up with it. Unreal delicious if the gravy and meat crust is on point
She was also pretty good at baking "dainties": Snowballs, Coconut strawberries, Shortbread, Butter Tarts, Matrimonial Cake, Icelandic Cake, Marzipan Cake, etc.

Reactions: Tuna99

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
She was also pretty good at baking "dainties": Snowballs, Coconut strawberries, Shortbread, Butter Tarts, Matrimonial Cake, Icelandic Cake, Marzipan Cake, etc.
All those are good , never liked the trifle,
Loved the Yorkshire pudding, tried bread and drippin, then they pan fried the bread, ok, but meh.
Would always have scones and tea, after we ate our tea. (Some might not get that).
Then off to the local.

Reactions: Cosmix and Tuna99

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
All those are good , never liked the trifle,
Loved the Yorkshire pudding, tried bread and drippin, then they pan fried the bread, ok, but meh.
Would always have scones and tea, after we ate our tea. (Some might not get that).
Then off to the local.
Yeah, her scones were VG too with strawberry jam.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So it sounds like the guys are getting ready for Green’s training camp. Perron was talking about it in his interview as something he’s aware of and getting ready for, but also nervous about.

Said he’s had some talks with Brady and they are on the same page.

Training camp is going to be high profile this year.

Reactions: LiseL

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Interviews of the three newer Sens, Amadio, Perron, and Jensen all talk about the fear they have in Travis's training camp. Looks like Green has a reputation already for a grueling camp. Oh boy. The core of our young guys are going to feel what a real NHL training camp is like for the first time.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Interviews of the three newer Sens, Amadio, Perron, and Jensen all talk about the fear they have in Travis's training camp. Looks like Green has a reputation already for a grueling camp. Oh boy. The core of our young guys are going to feel what a real NHL training camp is like for the first time.
We’re gonna start the year with like 3 injuries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad