Management Travis Green [Head Coach]

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
our 5v5 underlying numbers on NST are weird...

xGF%, 13th at 51.93%
CF%, 12th in the league at 51.12%
FF%, 7th at 54.84%
Shots for %, 4th at 55.22%

Looking good so far...

SCF%, 19th at 48.28%
HDCF%, 26th at 40%

To be fair, the SCF and HDCF are low event stats, so the sample is too small to be meaningful, though that's not to say xGF, CF, FF or shots samples are big enough to be particularly meaningful either...

Reactions: BigRig4

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So you watched 55 games of a different coach that wasn't a long term option and that's how you know better options were available and willing to sign here mid season? You aren't even making coherent points anymore,

And I never claimed Green was a coaching mastermind, nice strawman, i've been pretty clear that we haven't seen enough of him to make that claim, or the inverse.

Here's a list of the midseason hires

Drew Bannister, 0 games as NHL coach, currently 2-1-0
John Hynes, 0 playoff wins. Currently 1-0-2.
Kris Knaublach, 0 games as NHL Head coach. Currently 0-3
Patrick Roy, after a strong first season, saw his his team to conservative playoff misses, then ditched them abruptly in Aug before the season started. Also, 0 playoff wins. Currently 0-1-1

Seems like their teams are struggling too.

The top coaches with options tend to wait till the offseason, or are going to sign with teams they think are going to win no

So you watched 55 games of a different coach that wasn't a long term option and that's how you know better options were available and willing to sign here mid season? You aren't even making coherent points anymore,

And I never claimed Green was a coaching mastermind, nice strawman, i've been pretty clear that we haven't seen enough of him to make that claim, or the inverse.

Here's a list of the midseason hires

Drew Bannister, 0 games as NHL coach, currently 2-1-0
John Hynes, 0 playoff wins. Currently 1-0-2.
Kris Knaublach, 0 games as NHL Head coach. Currently 0-3
Patrick Roy, after a strong first season, saw his his team to conservative playoff misses, then ditched them abruptly in Aug before the season started. Also, 0 playoff wins. Currently 0-1-1

Seems like their teams are struggling too.

The top coaches with options tend to wait till the offseason, or are going to sign with teams they think are going to win now.

So are you saying whomever they could have hired, last December, and had 55 games to work with, before this current season…. Would have been worse than waiting for Green in the off-season?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So are you saying whomever they could have hired, last December, and had 55 games to work with, before this current season…. Would have been worse than waiting for Green in the off-season?
Is that what I said?

I think if you read carefully, you might see a theme in my posts, one that goes along the lines of it being to early to evaluate Green, and that guys with longer more proven track records generally aren't signing midseason with rebuilding teams.

Reactions: Cosmix and LiseL

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Green basically has to turn the games of Tkachuk, Stutzle and Chabot for us to be a playoff team. From what I’ve seen this season , Safe to say Pinto, Sandy, Norris, Amadio, Greig, and the bottom line players are doing their jobs.

Last year Jacques Martin had to give the team a wake up call at the 62 game mark and the really questioned to players ability to learn and win and it worked, but it’s obvious that won’t be the final lesson.

Green has more work to do then I thought he did, Tkachuk and Chanot want to get there, their games aren’t there yet. Chabot looked good in a chaotic game because he’s used to playing in them. If Chabot and Tkachuk can learn to be impact hockey players in quiet games we will make the playoffs, if they can’t settle things down and become impact in quieter games we won’t become a consistent winning team. That to me is the next step, can they control a hockey game. They have in controlled play for parts of games against good competion, but can they put it together for a full game like Montreal did to us. If it has to be a show for them to be noticed it’ll be stop and go progress. Knife fight games like the L.A. game are fun but we need to learn how to put teams away proffesianlly and not WWE style.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Taken from practice today....

1000011521.jpg

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Tonight is a huge test for Green to see how he manages matchups and what game plan he rolls out.

NJ has speed and scoring up and down their lineup meanwhile we have a goalie coming off a rough start and D pairings that are experimental.

Coaching should be noticeable here and it starts with the effort level the guys come out with early. Getting the legs moving and drawing penalties will be key.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If the Sens can't get it together under Green, it's very clearly on the players. You can't just cycle through coaches expecting different results. If there is no change in play and results this season, big name players will be traded.
Greens systems have not yet jumped off the page as to exactly what the game plan is. Doesn’t help that I missed game 2 and game 3 was a shit show.

I did notice we seem to be passive on the pk with everyone collapsing down low. That’s concerning
Green clearly is trying to bring down scoring chances. Even if it sacrifices offense in the short term.

And through 3 games. It’s worked.

The pk looks a little strange I agree. But in game 3 they could get a pk save. So that makes the pk% worse than it maybe should be.

I think right now it’s play strong defence and punish the other team on pp. unfornatrly the pp hasn’t look that great either.

His influence and Jacques influence and players maturity was evident on Monday afternoon. Now will that last? I don’t know.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Green basically has to turn the games of Tkachuk, Stutzle and Chabot for us to be a playoff team. From what I’ve seen this season , Safe to say Pinto, Sandy, Norris, Amadio, Greig, and the bottom line players are doing their jobs.

Last year Jacques Martin had to give the team a wake up call at the 62 game mark and the really questioned to players ability to learn and win and it worked, but it’s obvious that won’t be the final lesson.

Green has more work to do then I thought he did, Tkachuk and Chanot want to get there, their games aren’t there yet. Chabot looked good in a chaotic game because he’s used to playing in them. If Chabot and Tkachuk can learn to be impact hockey players in quiet games we will make the playoffs, if they can’t settle things down and become impact in quieter games we won’t become a consistent winning team. That to me is the next step, can they control a hockey game. They have in controlled play for parts of games against good competion, but can they put it together for a full game like Montreal did to us. If it has to be a show for them to be noticed it’ll be stop and go progress. Knife fight games like the L.A. game are fun but we need to learn how to put teams away proffesianlly and not WWE style.
Yes, the team has to learn how to prevent goals against in order to have a higher probability of winning games and getting into the playoffs.

Green clearly is trying to bring down scoring chances. Even if it sacrifices offense in the short term.

And through 3 games. It’s worked.

The pk looks a little strange I agree. But in game 3 they could get a pk save. So that makes the pk% worse than it maybe should be.

I think right now it’s play strong defence and punish the other team on pp. unfornatrly the pp hasn’t look that great either.

His influence and Jacques influence and players maturity was evident on Monday afternoon. Now will that last? I don’t know.
Clearly it did NOT work in one of the 3 games so far!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tonight is a huge test for Green to see how he manages matchups and what game plan he rolls out.

NJ has speed and scoring up and down their lineup meanwhile we have a goalie coming off a rough start and D pairings that are experimental.

Coaching should be noticeable here and it starts with the effort level the guys come out with early. Getting the legs moving and drawing penalties will be key.

I agree that the team requires all players to give a full 100% effort in this game, as it should for all/most games if it wants to be successful.

I agree that matchups are important; we can't have our least skilled players (3rd pair D and 4th line) playing against the other team's top lines because our 3rd pair D and 4th line are not very good.

Playing a sound defensive game (e.g., positioning, forcing the Fs to the outside, taking away the other teams' time and space, physical play in front of the net) without the puck is the key for me.

Which game?
You know the game; the one where the Senators allowed 7 goals against!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think if they hadn't done as good of a job of reducing quality chances as they did, the score would have been even higher, goaltending was brutal, Green can't change that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I agree that the team requires all players to give a full 100% effort in this game, as it should for all/most games if it wants to be successful.

I agree that matchups are important; we can't have our least skilled players (3rd pair D and 4th line) playing against the other team's top lines because our 3rd pair D and 4th line are not very good.

Playing a sound defensive game (e.g., positioning, forcing the Fs to the outside, taking away the other teams' time and space, physical play in front of the net) without the puck is the key for me.

Did you watch it. We gave the kings essentially nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad