Management Travis Green [Head Coach]

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That was most likely from a coaching change bump I would wager. IIRC they barely had time to do any practices during the transition and Martin wasn't able to participate on the ice..
Nvm thought we were talking about Florida

Martin right away you could see changes. We didn’t exercise them well right away. But you could he was implementing something. One thing was the patience in the d. They would suck in fire checkers and then hand it off to the other d. Breakouts were SO much better. DJ and green preach getting that first d to move the puck ASAP. Whether it’s too a forward or to the boards. Or out to center they don’t seem to care.

Last edited:

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I hope you can find a way to get this team to play with urgency and intensity night after night. See Florida or Carolina.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Was Jacques not part of the vetting process when looking for a new coach? I may be misremembering but did he not vouch for Green?
I remember Steve saying he was not that involved

There’s no way Jacques wouldn’t be saying these guys need a stricter hand. Not just hard training camps. They need structure and strategy and communicators.

They’re low IQ players. They need to be told what to do and when to do it and how to do it. Every single player improved under Martin except for chychrun and korpisalo.

I find it hard to believe he would have been in camp Green if involved.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I remember Steve saying he was not that involved

There’s no way Jacques wouldn’t be saying these guys need a stricter hand. Not just hard training camps. They need structure and strategy and communicators.

They’re low IQ players. They need to be told what to do and when to do it and how to do it. Every single player improved under Martin except for chychrun and korpisalo.

I find it hard to believe he would have been in camp Green if involved.
Well there is also Yeo and Baumgartner and Alfie. I find it more hard to believe that given the feedback that Jacques most definitely gave to upper management that they didn't reach out to him to get his thoughts on potential new hires that were possible.

Reactions: DrEasy

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Have you seen who we're playing the next 8 games? Do you feel confident they're going to come out with even a .500 record? Let alone a winning record?

Not too confident, but 2 games is still too soon. And I’m saying the this as someone who thought Travis Green was a loser coach before we hired him. He hasn’t had even close to a fair shake yet to bust out the red flags.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Have you seen who we're playing the next 8 games? Do you feel confident they're going to come out with even a .500 record? Let alone a winning record?
We've played two games.

No one reasonable is feeling confident: this roster haa never had a winning season and choked pretty damn hard when it came pretty close to making the playoffs when we got Chychrun.

We'll see what happens. Let's give the coach, his staff and the players a bit of time to cook, while also acknowledging that we sucked a lot last night.

Reactions: h2

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Not sure what Green is but at least he doesnt sugar coat things like DJ.

Ill be happy if he holds players accountable, he's not their to be friends with players, he is there to push them to be their best.

Reactions: BigRig4

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not sure what Green is but at least he doesnt sugar coat things like DJ.

Ill be happy if he holds players accountable, he's not their to be friends with players, he is there to push them to be their best.

I think we’re at the stage that if the players can’t get themselves going - it’s the players. It’s not the coaches, it’s not the media, it’s not the fans - THE PLAYERS HAVE TO GET MOTIVATED TO WIN THE GAMES.

This is 100% on the players if they no show tonight - start the Brady to NJ rumours, Norris and Chabot buyouts, Giroux trade deadline. It’s over if they don’t show up, play a system and win

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I remember Guy Boucher talking about how it was going to take 6 months at least for everyone to be comfortable enough in a new system that they can execute it without thinking. And GMs cant really be judged until after about 4 years.

But I also think they could execute the perfect system perfectly and still lose. Its not the be all end all. So far the complaints i hear still fall under the umbrella of: he once had a bad record on a team that we were expecting to have a bad record.

Makes you wonder if the Senators, instead on taking a half measure, last December, of bringing in a substitute teacher, but instead by hiring a new head coach, give him the rest of the season to get his “new system” up and running, like both Vancouver and Edmonton did, and how much further ahead the Senators would be today .

Bringing in Martin, for the rest of last season, was a waste of time, as everyone knew there would be a new Sheriff in town this season, and another new system to start all over again from scratch……

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Nvm thought we were talking about Florida

Martin right away you could see changes. We didn’t exercise them well right away. But you could he was implementing something. One thing was the patience in the d. They would suck in fire checkers and then hand it off to the other d. Breakouts were SO much better. DJ and green preach getting that first d to move the puck ASAP. Whether it’s too a forward or to the boards. Or out to center they don’t seem to care.

When Martin took over, I believe the Senators had only accumulated 22 pts in 27 games ( if I have the dates correct ) and by the end of the season Martin had the team gaining 56 points in 55 games…. So a very slight improvement in my opinion….. so Green has a very low bar to surpass.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Makes you wonder if the Senators, instead on taking a half measure, last December, of bringing in a substitute teacher, but instead by hiring a new head coach, give him the rest of the season to get his “new system” up and running, like both Vancouver and Edmonton did, and how much further ahead the Senators would be today .

Bringing in Martin, for the rest of last season, was a waste of time, as everyone knew there would be a new Sheriff in town this season, and another new system to start all over again from scratch……
Have you considered that the candidates that you would approve of wanted to wait until the offseason when more options become available and they improve their own leverage? There are two parties involved in every hire, typically the top candidates can be patient, maybe if we were a team viewed as a condender right off the bat, we might be able to draw in a top option midseason, but that wasn't the cards we were played.

We aren't Edmonton, we don't have McDavid, and we weren't seen as a cup favourite, it's a lot easier for that team to convince a coach to sign now rather than wait until more options become available. Even then, a hire of Knaublach likely would have resulted in even more criticism for getting another budget hire with no experience,

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When Martin took over, I believe the Senators had only accumulated 22 pts in 27 games ( if I have the dates correct ) and by the end of the season Martin had the team gaining 56 points in 55 games…. So a very slight improvement in my opinion….. so Green has a very low bar to surpass.
yeah and we had the worst goalie in the NHL hands down.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Fire that bum Green right now and hire Jessica Campbell!!
( I would score my way too early over reaction post a 10 out of 10).
Sorry I couldn't resist the temptation to provide some levity.:laugh:

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
didn't want him as head coach to be honest but thats just my opinion. anyway team looked great night 1 vs defending champs then like crap vs a non playoff team.. hopfully he atleast gets the boys to play a solid game vs the kings today who are a playoff bubble/wildcard contender.. if we play the same way as vs montreal i may start to have some small concerns.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I want to see how Green makes roster and playing time adjustments over the next 10 to 15 games then he's fair game. I know if he craps out then the season is shot again but either way the Sens won't change the coach so soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad