Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seriously? Some of our best teams have been a blend of toughness and skill. They knew full well that Kane was going to be out for some time and their answer was Josh Brown.

We had Lucic and Maroon when we went to the 2nd round the one season and then we had Kane and Kostin the year we made it to the WCF. Last season we got murdered against the Canucks and with a hurt Kane had no answer. We cannot afford to run such a soft team when every two bit disturber will be targeting our top players because they know that we won't do the same to theirs or make them shit teeth. You need a mix in this league and right now our mix is soft and it isn't going to be getting better without a move or two.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
McDavid was abused all game (no calls). Pospisil ran Podkolzin from behind (no call) and the mighty Derek Ryan popped him with a nice hit next shift but he’s our smallest F. Backlund slashes our goalie (no call) and zero response. Zary blows through the crease toppling Skinner (no call) and nothing.

Game 1 - 15 hits, 4 from Podkolzin
Game 2 - 9 hits, 2 from Podkolzin
Game 3 - 13 hits, 2 from Podkolzin
Total hits in 3 games - 37 with almost 1/4 of them coming from Podkolzin.

Zero jam on this team. And when they can’t score on the PP teams will take liberties.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Jackson had his one shining moment where he traded for Savoie. Since then, all downhill. Culminating with the biggest cast off of them all. Bowman. This team reminds me of a woke mob identifying as cats and dogs. Trying to be different for no apparent reason other than narsiccism. When they lost McLeod and Foegle due to cap reasons, thier number 1 priority should have been lock up Holloway to retain some semblance of youth and speed as soon as possible due to offer sheets. Number 2 was to upgrade the second pairing. They decided Emberson was the answer ...... 😂. Number 3, find a replacement for Broberg......Travis fn Dermott.....

You can't make this stuff up. I pity Oiler fans who can't see past homer glasses.

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Jackson had his one shining moment where he traded for Savoie. Since then, all downhill. Culminating with the biggest cast off of them all. Bowman. This team reminds me of a woke mob identifying as cats and dogs. Trying to be different for no apparent reason other than narsiccism. When they lost McLeod and Foegle due to cap reasons, thier number 1 priority should have been lock up Holloway to retain some semblance of youth and speed as soon as possible due to offer sheets. Number 2 was to upgrade the second pairing. They decided Emberson was the answer ...... 😂. Number 3, find a replacement for Broberg......Blake fn Dermott.....

You can't make this stuff up. I pity Oiler fans who can't see past homer glasses.
Blake Dermott played football
Edit: There you go ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Heavy Dee

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Seriously? Some of our best teams have been a blend of toughness and skill. They knew full well that Kane was going to be out for some time and their answer was Josh Brown.

We had Lucic and Maroon when we went to the 2nd round the one season and then we had Kane and Kostin the year we made it to the WCF. Last season we got murdered against the Canucks and with a hurt Kane had no answer. We cannot afford to run such a soft team when every two bit disturber will be targeting our top players because they know that we won't do the same to theirs or make them shit teeth. You need a mix in this league and right now our mix is soft and it isn't going to be getting better without a move or two.
No amount of toughness will fix your best players not showing up and I have a rather long laundry list of issues that I would consider more important than toughness, but at the same time a lack of toughness does seem like an emerging issue.

I'm not against the idea of Kostin, but he only makes sense with 50% retained and I think SJ have already used all their retention slots, so I'm not sure there is a practical trade to be had.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Easiest fix is to change the unbelievably predictable 5x5 offensive system that everyone has video on and knows how to beat, clog everything down low to make it impossible to get a shot of from the danger area so we have to cycle along the wall, eventually it gets to a defensemen to shoot at the point (who often misses the net) and then outwork the Oiler forward trying to get it back, in order to exit the zone.

If there is one thing I'd reinforce in practice, is take a page from McLellan, if a forward has the puck in the offensive zone with any space, shoot. This cute passing and perimeter possession leading to nothing is killing our offense.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
The only available free agents are older guys. If you want toughness and physicality the best two are Matt martin and Cal clutterbuck. Maybe bring up Noah Philip to center that 4th line.

Skinner - Mcdavid - Hyman
Podkolzin - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Martin - Philip - Clutterbuck

edit: Forgot Nuge. Throw him somewhere in that mix or replace philip with Henrique?

Last edited:

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
The only available free agents are older guys. If you want toughness and physicality the best two are Matt martin and Cal clutterbuck. Maybe bring up Noah Philip to center that 4th line.

Skinner - Mcdavid - Hyman
Podkolzin - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Martin - Philip - Clutterbuck
What's wrong with Ryan? He's probably been our best forward in the last three games. But our fans keep dumping on him due to age and lack of speed. Playing with 2 checker wingers doesn't need speed.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
What's wrong with Ryan? He's probably been our best forward in the last three games. But our fans keep dumping on him due to age and lack of speed. Playing with 2 checker wingers doesn't need speed.
Something has gotta change.. I honestly don't know what they can do without a trade.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
wait until McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard make up over 45% of the cap....we'll have no assets to trade and no room to acquire free agents.
Good point
And you didn’t even include nurse
Those 4 will take 50M
However, to be fair, I believe that should not hinder this team for the first few years anyway, the back end of those contracts will be a different story though

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No amount of toughness will fix your best players not showing up and I have a rather long laundry list of issues that I would consider more important than toughness, but at the same time a lack of toughness does seem like an emerging issue.

I'm not against the idea of Kostin, but he only makes sense with 50% retained and I think SJ have already used all their retention slots, so I'm not sure there is a practical trade to be had.
My thought is that it will keep the other teams a bit more honest and provide our team with a spark and some swagger. If Connor, Leon and Stu keep getting taken liberties on with no answers this season is not going to end well for us.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Jackson had his one shining moment where he traded for Savoie. Since then, all downhill. Culminating with the biggest cast off of them all. Bowman. This team reminds me of a woke mob identifying as cats and dogs. Trying to be different for no apparent reason other than narsiccism. When they lost McLeod and Foegle due to cap reasons, thier number 1 priority should have been lock up Holloway to retain some semblance of youth and speed as soon as possible due to offer sheets. Number 2 was to upgrade the second pairing. They decided Emberson was the answer ...... 😂. Number 3, find a replacement for Broberg......Travis fn Dermott.....

while I agree the shine is off Jackson for his bungling of the Holloway/Broberg contracts and not upgrading Ceci, the forwards he brought in have been good
old man Perry has been the most consistent player on the team so far
J. Skinner has 2 points and 12 shots over the first 3 games
Arvidsson has looked good

but yes, this defense is a sad joke...ZERO upgrades and all downgrades....Emberson/Stretcher/Dermott/J. Brown...#6 and #7s at best...Ceci is light years better than these guys
Nurse is a disaster and can't be trusted to run a second pairing and there's no vet that can come in to calm him down

the worst part is they're capped out, very little assets to acquire a top 4 d-man and have to hope Coffey can work with Nurse to limit his dumb mistakes until the TDL...MASSIVE and needless risk

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Don’t worry theres still plenty of time for McLeod for Savoie to wind up looking like a dumpster decision in the end. Hope not, but… The guy is small.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad