Management Travis Green [Head Coach]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
There’s a wide spectrum of reactions here:

1. This is the death knell for the franchise.

2. This is disappointing but I guess we’ll see what happens.

3. Green’s record is unfair because of the lack of talent he had to work with due to his GM.

4. I think his no-nonsense work ethic style is what this team needs.

5. No one knows enough about coaching here to comment.

I’m sitting around #2. I’m not going to pretend that he was who I wanted.

I’ll be happy to be proven wrong but I’m not optimistic.

I think there's truth to numbers 3, 4, and 5, and I am personally a quesy number 2.

But it sure would have been nice if we could have hired someone where we could have just said "good, that's taken care of", instead of "I guess we'll see...".

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wonder if Markstrom and Tanev possibly being available this summer may have played a small role in Green's hiring.

Don't know how they feel about Green but both played under him for years in Vancouver and I believe both wanted to stay in Vancouver, but Benning had other plans.

Markstrom seems to want to play out East for some reason. Team has obviously expressed a ton of interest in Tanev, even if it wasn't reciprocated.

Ahh a man can dream I suppose.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Entirely possible that Andlauer actually meant what he said about "best in class", being willing to spend what it took to get a top coach, etc., and then reality hit him like a tidal wave. Just as is the case with players, Ottawa is not a preferred destination to say the least, meaning that we have to overpay on both money and term. Berube was probably looking for at least 5x5, maybe more, which would have made the owner queasy. (It's worth noting that the problem in Carolina right now is money - Dundon doesn't like paying big money to coaches, who he views deep down as being disposable.) Heck, we had to give Travis Green - Travis freaking Green - four years of term so that he would come here. Once at the top candidates either bypassed Ottawa or demanded too much money and term, they ended up settling on a mid candidate like Green and talked themselves into him. That's how I imagine it went down...

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
originally the deal was for one year only ... apparently Travis brought back the mullet ...at the start of the contract negotiations it was all business but eventually "the party in the back" mesmerized Steve Staios into adding 3 extra years....do you blame him ? I dont

travis-green-1996-52.jpg

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Green is garbage as a head coach. He has an abrasive personality, which goes along with an enormous ego. You simply can not have a head coach, who makes peanuts in a dressing room. Because he is not good enough to make more money and the players know it. There will be no respect for that bum. He will be treated as DJ, because nobody listened to that coach, who was making 18 years old draft entry money. The only tactic DJ had is to be on good pal terms with players. It is a disaster written all over.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This hire feels exactly like if we were still in the PD/EM era, and they were like, "Oh the fans want a coach with actual NHL experience? Here ya go!"
It doesn't hurt quite as much as Craig Hartsburg did, but it feels a lot like Boucher after Melnyk said Boudreau was too expensive. Similar to DJ's hiring too imo, just feels unexciting, lackluster, ho hum.

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
Obviously a 3D Chess move going on here.

Bring Green in to depress the troops and make them cry out for something better, then jettison him for breath fresh air Tocchet in 2 years and instantly contend for the President's Cup.

It's the coming 2 years of sadness that I fear will feel like 2 years in the dentist's chair.....

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
In all the celebration about a new owner we kind of forgot that we're still a small market team that has an internal budget.

We may be able to spend to the cap on players, but we don't have unlimited resources to hire "best in class" off-ice personnel.

Still if we're going bargain bin shopping for a head coach there were other options I preferred.
That is why Canadian teams do not win Stanley cups anymore. Leafs are the exception, but the best in class, treat them as a quick cash cow to go to US for a greener pasture.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Entirely possible that Andlauer actually meant what he said about "best in class", being willing to spend what it took to get a top coach, etc., and then reality hit him like a tidal wave. Just as is the case with players, Ottawa is not a preferred destination to say the least, meaning that we have to overpay on both money and term. Berube was probably looking for at least 5x5, maybe more, which would have made the owner queasy. (It's worth noting that the problem in Carolina right now is money - Dundon doesn't like paying big money to coaches, who he views deep down as being disposable.) Heck, we had to give Travis Green - Travis freaking Green - four years of term so that he would come here. Once at the top candidates either bypassed Ottawa or demanded too much money and term, they ended up settling on a mid candidate like Green and talked themselves into him. That's how I imagine it went down...
I feel like that's a pretty big cop out. The top coach nearly a decade ago was getting paid $6.25M, which is over $8M in today's dollars. If he thought he was going to have a "Best in Class" coach for under $5M, he was wildly misinformed.

I just realized they signed him for 4 years lmao!! You can't make this **** up. Does Staois have CTE?
Such an indictment on this franchise. When Travis Green is able to take you to the cleaners during contract negotiations...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I feel like that's a pretty big cop out. The top coach nearly a decade ago was getting paid $6.25M, which is over $8M in today's dollars. If he thought he was going to have a "Best in Class" coach for under $5M, he was wildly misinformed.

There are no coaches getting 6.25, Laviolette is highest with 4.9, Sullivan next year at 5.5

Reactions: Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
In all the celebration about a new owner we kind of forgot that we're still a small market team that has an internal budget.

We may be able to spend to the cap on players, but we don't have unlimited resources to hire "best in class" off-ice personnel.

Still if we're going bargain bin shopping for a head coach there were other options I preferred.
This is why it's even more disappointing. I thought Andlauer would be rich enough to flex some cash on off ice areas like coaching. Not the same as Toronto, but enough to do better than Travis friggin Green.

Like the only positive about Andlauer seems to be, "he"s not Melynk", which is such a low bar

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This is why it's even more disappointing. I thought Andlauer would be rich enough to flex some cash on off ice areas like coaching. Not the same as Toronto, but enough to do better than Travis friggin Green.

Like the only positive about Andlauer seems to be, "he"s not Melynk", which is such a low bar
I would argue the cap spending, if it continues, is something Melnyk didn't do anymore for like the last decade. That's deserving of praise imo as we have absolutely zero chance at anything without that. Melnyk's clubs were full of holes because of it.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Having to take on several partners to buy the team should have been a clue that he's not uber rich and wouldn't be able to not care about spending millions more on the Sens than they bring in.

When the team gets a downtown arena and can jack up ticket prices due to greater demand our money problems should be solved, but until then we're still a budget team.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

He certainly appears to be comparable to Melnyk in all of the areas that directly relate to on ice success.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Via Thomas Drance, Canucks beat writer:
“I covered Travis Green closely during arguably the most dysfunctional stretch in recent Vancouver Canucks history — and that’s saying something.

After a successful stint as the club’s AHL coach in Utica, a stretch that included a Calder Cup Final appearance in the early stages of Green’s tenure, the club iced rosters that were undermanned in the extreme. And those Green-era teams played recognizably organized hockey, often punching above their weight, especially early in the year, before the extreme lack of talent caught up to them.

In 2019-20, the club hit something of a wave and over-performed — both in the regular season and in the playoff bubble. Green’s tactics against the Golden Knights in forcing a seventh game as a massive underdog in the second round became a template that Golden Knights opponents widely copied in frustrating the DeBoer-era Golden Knights in the playoffs over the next few years.

Then things got weird in Vancouver.

COVID-related budget cuts gutted the roster. A massive COVID outbreak during the 2021 season impacted Green severely, and the team massively as well, as the club sagged to seventh in the All-Canadian division.

The next year, Green made some tactical tweaks to try and shore up the club’s brutal defensive game. It worked at five-on-five, but the team was undone by struggling severely on the penalty kill and by the pervasive struggles of some star players. Twenty-five games into the season, Green was fired and replaced by Bruce Boudreau.

Throughout his Canucks tenure, Green’s Canucks leaned heavily on and did well to develop young players. He was disciplined and even innovative about how he handled matchups in-game.

He tended not to get fooled by hot streaks, and when he was criticized for player deployment, his decisions tended to bear themselves out over time (the players who didn’t get enough opportunity under Green tended not to become more meaningful contributors after his departure). His X’s and O’s and structural work are excellent, and he’s open minded about incorporating analytics into his player evaluation, working closely with Vancouver’s since-promoted director of analytics, Aiden Fox, throughout his Canucks tenure.

This is a sharp coach who deserves a stable opportunity after the way things unfolded for him in Vancouver. Taking over a young team like the Senators strikes me as a uniquely good fit.”

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Sure, and no coach is making close to that now, certainly not 8
I never said that they were, and you can bet your ass that Berube will make 6+. My point was that Andlauer would be in dreamworld to think that he could hire a "Best in Class" coach for under $5M. What did he think he'd have to pay?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I never said that they were, and you can bet your ass that Berube will make 6+. My point was that Andlauer would be in dreamworld to think that he could hire a "Best in Class" coach for under $5M. What did he think he'd have to pay?
I mean, every coach in the league is making less than 5 million, sans Sullivan who is likely to be a free agent as well. Bednar just won a cup and signed for less than 5 million

If Berube is making 6 plus million, my condolences to the team paying that

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

There are no coaches getting 6.25, Laviolette is highest with 4.9, Sullivan next year at 5.5
Even at that, you have heard some low key chatter from owners about trying to ratchet back the money and term that coaches were getting. Unofficial word is that Brind'amour is only making $1.9 million per year on his current deal, and his owner is allergic to paying big money to any coach, even one as good as Brind'amour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad