Travel Thread [Football, Tickets, Sightseeing, Etc.]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I am a paranoid person....okay.... It will be my first time travelling and getting on a plane.
Do it! Amazing experience. Only do what you are comfortable with though - my advice for first trip

Don’t book too many days/ Don’t try to over-stuff it. Yeah you want to maximize your time, but only you know how long it will take you to get burned out. Don’t be a hero.

Don’t feel like you are obligated to do too much “touristy” stuff. The local stuff is probably better anyway.

If you are going for a match make it about the match and stuff around the stadium/where you are staying.

Plenty of people are nervous about travel and you are not alone. The more you go the more confident you will get and from there you can “graduate” to more advanced trip planning. For your first trip keep it simple and get comfortable with a new country.

I am in Italy right now and it is great. Don’t worry too much about the language. In the major cities you can get away with slim to none Italian, but knowing some basic phrases definitely helps. I am lousy at speaking it but I can read it and understand some and I have not run into any problems in Venice, Florence or Roma. Roma is the only city of the three that I would go back to though.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Do it! Amazing experience. Only do what you are comfortable with though - my advice for first trip

Don’t book too many days/ Don’t try to over-stuff it. Yeah you want to maximize your time, but only you know how long it will take you to get burned out. Don’t be a hero.

Don’t feel like you are obligated to do too much “touristy” stuff. The local stuff is probably better anyway.

If you are going for a match make it about the match and stuff around the stadium/where you are staying.

Plenty of people are nervous about travel and you are not alone. The more you go the more confident you will get and from there you can “graduate” to more advanced trip planning. For your first trip keep it simple and get comfortable with a new country.

I am in Italy right now and it is great. Don’t worry too much about the language. In the major cities you can get away with slim to none Italian, but knowing some basic phrases definitely helps. I am lousy at speaking it but I can read it and understand some and I have not run into any problems in Venice, Florence or Roma. Roma is the only city of the three that I would go back to though.
More curiosity than anything but why only Roma?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, don't hesitate to go and you have not much to fear about, except for the usual reflexes when you go into a big city (aka don't walk alone at night in shitty areas).
Turin isn't the best city, but if you go to Firenze, Roma or Venezia, you'll be great.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
More curiosity than anything but why only Roma?
It’s a much better city. Roma (and Paris) blew me away on this trip.

This is kind of hard for me to describe but I will try: Venice and Florence are beautiful cities (and worth going to) but both feel like the tourism industry has changed them for the worst.

Venice - very unique city, but spread out over islands so you have to go everywhere by boat (pros and cons) and it is a bit isolated from the rest of Italy which means more expensive. Main island is very much a huge outdoor shopping mall. Which is good for some people but not for me. I think Venice has also kind of leaned into this.

Florence - had the best steak of my life here. Will probably never get to eat it again. I honestly was shocked at how much I did not like Florence. Extremely crowded. Super touristy. Also felt like an outdoor shopping mall. Different to Venice, Florence doesn’t have the self-awareness to admit that tourism is an essential part of the economy. Maybe we stayed in the wrong neighborhood or something (not that Florence is that big) but just didn’t like it. Didn’t like the way the city was laid out either. Venice was much easier to navigate.

That being said though this is very harsh of me but with the investment it takes to travel, I would not go to either city again. Neither are bad though. Just didn’t have the same energy as the other two places I spent extended time in. Maybe more words when I am back home on this, but both cities felt very Mall to me. Which is weird because there is so much amazing architecture and art and history but it’s just surrounded by stores and gypsys

Roma is incredible though. It has everything. Amazing energy. Amazing sites. Amazing food. One more day here tomorrow then heading back to USA.

Yes, don't hesitate to go and you have not much to fear about, except for the usual reflexes when you go into a big city (aka don't walk alone at night in shitty areas).
Turin isn't the best city, but if you go to Firenze, Roma or Venezia, you'll be great.
To add to this. Do not wear flashy jewelry. Big bullseye. I got a (very ugly) minimalist wallet for the trip and I’ve kept it in my front pocket. No issues. Also I’ve kept my hands in my pockets in busy areas. But no issues. Same as homeless anywhere else in America. Just no eye contact or interaction. Don’t go anywhere stupid at night.

Reactions: Juve and Gecklund

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
It will be fine, go there. Italy is magical

To add to this. Do not wear flashy jewelry. Big bullseye. I got a (very ugly) minimalist wallet for the trip and I’ve kept it in my front pocket. No issues. Also I’ve kept my hands in my pockets in busy areas. But no issues. Same as homeless anywhere else in America. Just no eye contact or interaction. Don’t go anywhere stupid at night.

For the time being, I want to watch to go Torino to watch at least one Juve game before I die. I want to watch the game first, before I one day tour of all or most of Italy. I don't want to do anything too crazy, and I planned to contact Around Turin to organize the " experience.

I wonder if my past concussions are going to affect me on the plane.

Things I've learned:
- Drink before getting on the plane
- Don't do anything too crazy
- Don't go to any sketchy places at night. I wasn't planning to because I am too paranoid for that
- Keep the fancy stuff at home
- Keep a bitch face. That's not hard for me to do or like my mom says, "That's your usual face."

Thankfully, I speak Italian, not the proper Italian but my parents' dialect. Hopefully, It shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
For the time being, I want to watch to go Torino to watch at least one Juve game before I die. I want to watch the game first, before I one day tour of all or most of Italy. I don't want to do anything too crazy, and I planned to contact Around Turin to organize the " experience.

Things I've learned:
- Don't go to any sketchy places at night. I wasn't planning to because I am too paranoid for that
- Keep a bitch face. That's not hard for me to do or like my mom says, "That's your usual face."

Thankfully, I speak Italian, not the proper Italian but my parents' dialect. Hopefully, It shouldn't be too bad.
As someone that has had past concussions, I’ve never really had issues on planes although I’ve never been on one for more than like 3 hours max so slightly different. Maybe a dull ache but nothing more than usual (my worst one was near the base of my skull in the back and let me just tell ya protect that area!)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Things I've learned:

Just let the airplane staff know your concussion story and that it is your first time on plane, I'm sure they will take good care of you.

I also agree on the above that Venice is very touristic, luckily I went on a couple days where there was not too many people. Quite expensive prices too. Loved it anyways.

Reactions: Evilo

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Things I've learned:

That’s how I felt when I went to Liverpool (not exactly a tourist destination) in March 2020. I didn’t expect to ever go back but I loved the city and would definitely return. Maybe next season. You just need to go and see for yourself. Europe is very different and it will surprise you in (mostly) a good way!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For Venice you need to go further than the San Marco plaza. Venice can be very quiet when you leave the touristy areas. And you get into breath taking churches and painting masters.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For Venice you need to go further than the San Marco plaza. Venice can be very quiet when you leave the touristy areas. And you get into breath taking churches and painting masters.
For sure. We stayed on Lido and I enjoyed that area more than San Marco plaza. I liked Venice better than Florence and that was a big surprise for me.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Are you going with others or are you going solo?

I plan to do this solo.

As someone that has had past concussions, I’ve never really had issues on planes although I’ve never been on one for more than like 3 hours max so slightly different. Maybe a dull ache but nothing more than usual (my worst one was near the base of my skull in the back and let me just tell ya protect that area!)
Just let the airplane staff know your concussion story and that it is your first time on plane, I'm sure they will take good care of you.

I also agree on the above that Venice is very touristic, luckily I went on a couple days where there was not too many people. Quite expensive prices too. Loved it anyways.

I didn't think of that. That's a really good idea.

That’s how I felt when I went to Liverpool (not exactly a tourist destination) in March 2020. I didn’t expect to ever go back but I loved the city and would definitely return. Maybe next season. You just need to go and see for yourself. Europe is very different and it will surprise you in (mostly) a good way!

I really want to experience a match first. I can do a tour of Italy and Europe another time.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I had a couple concussions from playing football, never had any problem flying at all. Just don't fly while you have one. Longest flight since I had one was about 5:30

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Roma Airport - Great airport

Paris Orly - Good airport

Paris CDG - not good

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I confirm : Malaga is great
I think I like it better rhan Barcelona

As a Mediterranean dude, this is my vibe, I feel right at home
Except for the language lol

Shame I don’t speak Spanish because apparently most women here don’t speak English nor French

brb gonna download Duolingo

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I love Malaga.
I believe you
I’m here for 2 weeks, gonna visit Alhambra and Nerja - I wish I had more time to visit other places in Andalucia (although I’m not sure I want to see Sevilla, was told it’s even hottee rhan Malaga, and it’s already scorching hot in Malaga lol)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Biggest fan of Sevilla here but yeah it's hot in the summer.
It's actually the hottest city in Europe.

Alhambra is magical. One of the finest places I've been in my life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad