Travel Thread [Football, Tickets, Sightseeing, Etc.]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Haha, not that much. Traveling is cheap inside Europe. Sevilla and Amsterdam are for work.
Traveling to Mexico is expensive, but I have a house in Yucatan so I'm really only paying the plane tickets and my weeks there will cost me less than spending my weeks in France anyway.

Enjoy your trips my friend! I wish I had the time to travel as much.

I used to travel for work, but not anymore. I miss it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
My BIL told me a lot of great stories about Florence, so yea, strongly recommended and wouldn't skip it.

Also, having a house in Yucatan, very lucky. I still need to go there, but amazing place. The stuff you can do there and how little it costs is crazy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Enjoy your trips my friend! I wish I had the time to travel as much.

I used to travel for work, but not anymore. I miss it.
I lovve to travel. I travelled a lot when I was younger and then couldn't really afford it when the kids were young. Still travelled once a year but no more. A family of 5 is not easy to budget abroad.
Now the kids are older, I can travel again.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Haha, not that much. Traveling is cheap inside Europe. Sevilla and Amsterdam are for work.
Traveling to Mexico is expensive, but I have a house in Yucatan so I'm really only paying the plane tickets and my weeks there will cost me less than spending my weeks in France anyway.

Yeah, that's the catch with having a place abroad is the travel to and from. Actually you could say that about anywhere really. I've considered having a vacation spot, but I haven't been married to anywhere in particular just yet and the housing market in this country is crazy right now with few signs of abating.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I got some cool news from work. May be going to a conference in Barcelona next November....Will need to tie in some footie if this goes through!

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I lovve to travel. I travelled a lot when I was younger and then couldn't really afford it when the kids were young. Still travelled once a year but no more. A family of 5 is not easy to budget abroad.
Now the kids are older, I can travel again.

Yeah, I had kids fairly young in the hope I would be able to travel once they got older. It's not actually far off that now but I still don't feel like I'll be able to afford it :laugh:

Reactions: Evilo

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I am going to Milan v Atalanta on May 15. My friend moved there for work and lives walking distance to San Siro. Serie A table remains close. Game could have implications on how it shakes out. Will be my first time in Italy. My friend will be busy with work and I will be taking a solo trip to Rome for a few days.

Went to an Ajax game in '06. Getting tickets was a pain. They refused to sell me a ticket so I had to resort to their inflated tourist package. At least they threw in a scarf as part of the deal.

My AirBnB host in Reykjavik took me to see his favorite club, KR. Iceland is amazing. Only downside is the prices for everything there is astronomical. Worth it at the end of the day. Beautiful country. They even have a tiny hockey league but no action when I was there.

Also went to a Xolos game in Tijuana. Walk across the border, walk down the road, pick up some tacos and the only guy in town that speaks English is leading the taxi pick-up and he gets you a ride to the stadium.

My football bucket list trips are Ibrox and Marakana (Belgrade).

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My AirBnB host in Reykjavik took me to see his favorite club, KR. Iceland is amazing. Only downside is the prices for everything there is astronomical. Worth it at the end of the day. Beautiful country. They even have a tiny hockey league but no action when I was there.
But aren't the plan tickets to get there fairly cheap?

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Looks like Covid cases in Europe are on the rise again
Man I really want to travel without too many restrictions but I’m assuming they will be back on the menu

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
How easy is to to get from Venice to Slovenia?

Flixbus is the dominant bus company in much of Europe now, and they list a direct bus from Venice to Ljubljana taking about 4-5 hours at a cost of the equivalent of 24-34 USD per ticket (they use the model of prices rising as the buses fill).

It's been a long time since I travelled but there's also a car-share service that should still be working BlaBlaCar. Just checking now, if I wanted to leave right now there's a car with two free spots leaving in an hour for about half the above amount each, and taking only 3 hours.

Looking at trains, you'd either have to transfer in Villach (Austria) or Trieste. Longer, more expensive, more complicated. The only possible advantage is taking in the scenery and the general train experience, or of course if you want to stop and see Trieste, which I've never been to but should be a quite worthwhile experience.

Edit: For the above I used Ljubljana as reference, but I don't know what exactly you want to see in Slovenia. If it's the mountains, you're going to have to go through the capital anyhow, but if it's like the seaside, that's right next to Trieste (which should honestly by all rights be part of Slovenia :D ) or there's even a ferry right from Venice to Piran, though a quick check shows it only seems to go once a week on Saturday and only during the high season.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Flixbus is the dominant bus company in much of Europe now, and they list a direct bus from Venice to Ljubljana taking about 4-5 hours at a cost of the equivalent of 24-34 USD per ticket (they use the model of prices rising as the buses fill).

It's been a long time since I travelled but there's also a car-share service that should still be working BlaBlaCar. Just checking now, if I wanted to leave right now there's a car with two free spots leaving in an hour for about half the above amount each, and taking only 3 hours.

Looking at trains, you'd either have to transfer in Villach (Austria) or Trieste. Longer, more expensive, more complicated. The only possible advantage is taking in the scenery and the general train experience, or of course if you want to stop and see Trieste, which I've never been to but should be a quite worthwhile experience.

Edit: For the above I used Ljubljana as reference, but I don't know what exactly you want to see in Slovenia. If it's the mountains, you're going to have to go through the capital anyhow, but if it's like the seaside, that's right next to Trieste (which should honestly by all rights be part of Slovenia :D ) or there's even a ferry right from Venice to Piran, though a quick check shows it only seems to go once a week on Saturday and only during the high season.
This is awesome thank you. Was looking at FlixBus destinations. Slovenia we’re just trying to go and drink some wine. We’ve got an extra day in Venice so might be looking to break that up a bit. I’m not locked into Slovenia, just knew off top of my head it was geographically close. Udine also on the route Trieste sounds good too. But yeah basically if there is a good suggestion for a day trip in range to Venice I am all ears.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Of the countries where I have been to enough cities to have somewhat of an educated opinion. I gave first the city that someone should go to if they've never been to the country and then second, if different, my favorite city.

Germany - Munich
Netherlands - Amsterdam
Belgium - Bruges
Spain - Barcelona, Sevilla
Italy - Rome, Florence
England - London, Durham
Austria - Vienna, Salzburg
Israel - Jerusalem, Haifa
Switzerland - Zurich, Lucerne

Of the other countries I have been to (Scotland, France, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Romania, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Canada, and Greece), I would say the city I enjoyed the most was either Prague or Budapest.

In terms of watching a football match, I've been to a game at Arsenal, Fiorentina, Oxford, Anderlecht, St. Pauli, and Feyenoord. Of those, I think Feyenoord had the best atmosphere, St. Pauli was the most fun, and Arsenal was the best for me as an actual fan.
I hope to finally get to Bruges this summer. It's been on my list for some time, but logistics/time never worked out for me.

Also trying to talk myself into Qatar this November.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I looked into it in 2019 and I think that's around when it was, yes.
Thanks,

I guess I'll have to be very strategic and flexible in my planning

I want to go to Europe soon; France wasn't on my list but since they moved the Final to Paris, I guess I'll have to stop by there - if I'm a able to snatch a ticket.

My initial plan was going on vacation to Turkey, so I would have killed 2 birds with one stone, vacation+CL Final, it would have been awesome - but Ukraine happened so they had to relocate the game.
(I lived in Turkey when I was younger and miss it)

Maybe I'll go to Portugal - never been there - or go to Spain again and go to Paris for a day or 2 just for the Final.
Traveling is cheap and easy in Europe and those two countries are close to France

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
This is awesome thank you. Was looking at FlixBus destinations. Slovenia we’re just trying to go and drink some wine. We’ve got an extra day in Venice so might be looking to break that up a bit. I’m not locked into Slovenia, just knew off top of my head it was geographically close. Udine also on the route Trieste sounds good too. But yeah basically if there is a good suggestion for a day trip in range to Venice I am all ears.
Flixbus works well from the couple times I've taken it. That's all I can say from my site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad