Confirmed with Link: Training Camp

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Kind of feel like they spoon fed Yamamoto a contract. The guy was given top line, and pp1 duties every preseason game he played. I mean, he took advantage of it so good on him, but he was the only guy given that opportunity for some reason. Odd.

Reactions: lanky

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I am not going to argue with you guys any further. Too many of you are homers and don't appreciate talent on other teams. I bet you all thought Dylan Strome was going to be the next big thing when he went 3rd overall too lol.

I know talent when I see it, and Simashev doesn't pass the eye test...Yakemchuk and Michkov on the other hand look like studs. Same with Benson. Also, Benson is playing against NHL players, your boy But is still in a lesser league in the KHL. Finding a D-man like Simashev is a lot easier than getting a guy like Yakemchuk or Michkov. Simashev is the next Zadorov, if he develops properly. Solid #4 D-man, but def not 6th overall pick level.

Also, very hilarious about the guy saying Yakemchuk looks bad defensively. He has looked good on defence in pre-season. You can't teach the instincts Yakemchuk has, you have to be stupid to think this guy won't be the real deal. You can tell a lot of you don't watch hockey, but look up stats and read what scouting reports say. Too many clueless people on this forum. At least Jakey isn't drinking all the Kool-Aid.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I am not going to argue with you guys any further. Too many of you are homers and don't appreciate talent on other teams. I bet you all thought Dylan Strome was going to be the next big thing when he went 3rd overall too lol.

I know talent when I see it, and Simashev doesn't pass the eye test...Yakemchuk and Michkov on the other hand look like studs. Same with Benson. Also, Benson is playing against NHL players, your boy But is still in a lesser league in the KHL.

Also, very hilarious about the guy saying Yakemchuk looks bad defensively. He has looked good on defence in pre-season. You can tell a lot of you don't watch hockey, but look up stats and read what scouting reports say. Too many clueless people on this forum. At least Jakey isn't drinking all the Kool-Aid.
I wanted Marner…vs Strome
I wanted Leonard at 6 and Moore or Benson at 12

A lot of Yotes fans wanted Benson at 6 ..but a lot of us also trust our scouts

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I wanted Marner…vs Strome
I wanted Leonard at 6 and Moore or Benson at 12

A lot of Yotes fans wanted Benson at 6 ..but a lot of us also trust our scouts
You can trust the scouts all you want, but they aren't perfect, and you're gonna find that out eventually. Who did you want #6 this year?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You can trust the scouts all you want, but they aren't perfect, and you're gonna find that out eventually. Who did you want #6 this year?
GMBA has assembled one of the most experienced and successful scouting organizations in the league. They deserve our trust until they dont.

I was not a fan of the Strome pick at the time - I wanted to trade down and draft Werenski.

In 2024 I wanted/expected Leonard at 6. Was thinking Benson or Yager at 12. Neither Simashev nor But were on my radar.

This last draft I wanted Dickinson. At 24th pick I wanted Emery.

But I am just a fan. I am going on limited views, some stats and hunches.

I famously wanted nothing to do with Quinn Hughes - thought his game would never translate. LOL.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Also, sorry if I came off harsh in my last post. I don't know everything obviously and everybody has an opinion. I trust the development of programs in Canada over Russia any day. That's why I am more biased toward picking guys out of the WHL.

@Arizonatah Coyetis I liked our back-and-forth! I guess we can look back at these posts in 5 years and see who was right.

Reactions: sundance74

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Also, sorry if I came off harsh in my last post. I don't know everything obviously and everybody has an opinion. I trust the development of programs in Canada over Russia any day. That's why I am more biased toward picking guys out of the WHL.

@Arizonatah Coyetis I liked our back-and-forth! I guess we can look back at these posts in 5 years and see who was right.

It's all good. Just a debate, not an argument.

We'll never know how things would turn out if BA had drafted Michkov and we already agree he's going to be a special player. No debate there.

I think all the other players we discussed will turn out great in different ways. As long as they're helping their team win games I don't really care which one is rated a bit higher if they're filling the need they were drafted to fill.

I think each team will end up happy with their picks in the end.

Reactions: Half Clapper

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Keller Hayton Schmaltz
McBain Cooley Guenther
Maccelli Doan Crouse
Kerfoot Stenlund Carcone
O'Brien Yamamoto

Sergachev Durzi
Valimaki Kesselring
Cole Bortuzzo
Kolyachonok

Ingram
Vejmelka

I guess that's the lineup, given our roster and injuries. I'll like it a bunch more when Marino returns.

I'd prefer Maccelli - McBain - Doan as our 3rd line, with Crouse at 2LW, but that's just nitpicking.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
It's easy to rip a team apart, hard to build a winner. No playoffs this year I would fire BA
He could easily make the playoffs, just sell the farm, then we can enjoy a fun 1st round or 2 for a season or 2 before middling out and rebuilding again.

He's clearly not going to do that because missing the playoffs isn't going to cost him his job. His job is to build the team up into a long term contender status where making the playoffs is a foregone conclusion each season for a long run.

Reactions: lanky

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
He could easily make the playoffs, just sell the farm, then we can enjoy a fun 1st round or 2 for a season or 2 before middling out and rebuilding again.

He's clearly not going to do that because missing the playoffs isn't going to cost him his job. His job is to build the team up into a long term contender status where making the playoffs is a foregone conclusion each season for a long run.
This post makes zero sense! It is a results-oriented business. At some point you have to make a push, this can't take 10 years. That is why he went out and got Sergachev and Marino.

Reactions: Jakey53

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think he met, he could do what some teams do .. mortgage the future, and go nuts in free agency and grab a 30 year old , give them a ton of money over a long period of time , leaving no cash , when it comes to signing youngsters like Cooley. Forcing him to hav3 to do buy outs , or getting rid of good players to keep in the budget ( obviously he won’t have money problems here in Utah vs ARZ

Getting Sergachev was smart, he grabbed a 26 year number 1 ( debatable) D , who can grow with our core and is signed on a good deal for a long time.

He’s trying to build through the draft so they can be good for a long time .. , not short term where they have one or two years of success and then have to rebuild again.

That’s why he focused on building up the scouting department, so you can grab BPA, and keep putting good players on top of good players.

If you look at the draft history, and take a look at the Coyotes drafts every year, and see how many players actually made the NHL or if they did, how good they became ..its very few, because the Yotes had hardly any scouts… they even had Keith Gretzky, who was hired when Wayne was the part owner. Now BA has hired scouts known for drafting high end talent , and he has them all over US, CAN, Europe, RUS, and lots of them.
I have followed this team since they were the Jets, and have never seen the drafting depth we have now.

Does that guarantee success? No, but a lot of us who criticized BA early on for getting rid of all of our mediocre players, in favour of collecting draft picks and assets, are now starting to see the big picture and the fruits of that labor.

But having said that…. As you said it is a results oriented business… and time will tell if this was the best move.. not to mention the patience level of the new fans and ownership.

If this team does not improve every year changes could be made fast, and likely will

We don’t want to be the Sabres

Reactions: Napoli

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree. It should be easy to make a big jump in the standings this season. Figuring that they easily could've had 85 points if it weren't for an incredibly odd 14 game losing streak, the improvements they made to the D, and young players being a bit older and having more NHL experience and, finally (like you said) no more distractions to use as excuses... I'm hoping for 95 points this season. Too optimistic? Reasonable? Not enough?

What's everyone else's idea for where this team should be points-wise this season? Someone care to create a poll like last year?
I thought we should have been a bubble team last year, and I think I said around 85pts. is where about we should end up. This year we as fans have to raise our expectations, as should the team, management etc. Keller himself said the rebuild is more or less over. Utah has to make the playoffs for the season to be considered a success, or at the very least be in the conversation until the very end. It will be hard, Utah is in a tough Conference. Easy time and excuses are over folks. Let's see what AT really has.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I know talent when I see it, and Simashev doesn't pass the eye test...Yakemchuk and Michkov on the other hand look like studs. Same with Benson. Also, Benson is playing against NHL players, your boy But is still in a lesser league in the KHL. Finding a D-man like Simashev is a lot easier than getting a guy like Yakemchuk or Michkov. Simashev is the next Zadorov, if he develops properly. Solid #4 D-man, but def not 6th overall pick level.

Also, very hilarious about the guy saying Yakemchuk looks bad defensively. He has looked good on defence in pre-season. You can't teach the instincts Yakemchuk has, you have to be stupid to think this guy won't be the real deal. You can tell a lot of you don't watch hockey, but look up stats and read what scouting reports say. Too many clueless people on this forum. At least Jakey isn't drinking all the Kool-Aid.
Fans are homers, that's just the way it is. I know I wouldn't have pick the two Russians, but I think BA knows a bit more about the players than you and I.:laugh:

Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I'm not a big fan of drafting Russian either because of all the drama that comes with them, but I'm in the minority.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Kind of feel like they spoon fed Yamamoto a contract. The guy was given top line, and pp1 duties every preseason game he played. I mean, he took advantage of it so good on him, but he was the only guy given that opportunity for some reason. Odd.
Not odd, a question needed to be answered! Everybody else has already have reached "expectations".

In my opinion that won't happen. AT will be gone before BA. BA has earned our trust for a couple more years, at least.
BLASPHEMY!

It's easy to rip a team apart, hard to build a winner. No playoffs this year I would fire BA
BLASPHEMY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad