Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This, like, isn't at all the case. Lysell is sort of like a poor man's Taylor Hall, when Hall was younger. Everyone thought Hall was supposed to be some mad goal scoring reincarnation of Pavel Bure, when he was more just a guy who could transition through the neutral zone in a blink and play off the half wall, mostly passing but also driving at tight angles to cause mayhem.

Thinking about it, I love that comparison. Lysell goes through the NZ like his hair's on fire and plays off the wall basically in isolation. He needs to work on two things - pulling up after making the offensive zone instead of bulling into some monster D looking to kill him, and continuing to refine his passing. He's made a lot of improvement to his passing but you'll still see him occasionally pass to an invisible teammate, which he did endlessly in his one SHL season.

Lysell's shot has improved by leaps and bounds by the year, but he's never going to be a top goal scorer. And no one ever really pegged him to be one, as far as I know.

So he's not a goal scorer and his passing needs work.

But he's a creative offensive player.

OK

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
In Geekie's defense, he was 4th line on Seattle. I think he was a great value signing and agree 2nd line is not where i'd like to see him. But he's been very solid for us imo

I agree. He's been a good signing, good effort, good teammate, good production vs cost. But I also don't like him on the 2nd line. Ideally that 3rd line is Frederic-Poitras-Geekie by the end of the year.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
So he's not a goal scorer and his passing needs work.

But he's a creative offensive player.

OK
Yes, he's a creative offensive player. He was a creative offensive player at age 17, playing against men in the SHL on super limited ice time. It wasn't his passes and it wasn't his shot. It was because he can rapidly get to places on the ice where something good could happen. In the SHL, he'd get possession at the throat of the slot, then invariably duff a pass to no one or shoot it 5 feet over the net. The way he fouled up on the easy parts were vexing, but he's gotten better every year. I'm not going to look, but it's probably not a statistically linear progression. He's improved the stuff that would leave an observer shaking their head while retaining the skating, handles and good instincts.

Also, you should move the goalposts back where you found them.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Lysell didn't score last night, but I thought he did pretty well defensively. I think he at least deserved some time with some veterans like he did last preseason. He is not waiver-eligible so he's the odd-man out. Bruins probably want to see more of Jones, Johnson, Brazeau, and Tufte, and there aren't a lot of games left to see how Lysell does when some of these guys have missed games.

I think Lysell lights it up in Providence and gets called up early in the season.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
My issue is that they didn't even give him a chance to play with the pros.

Why even bother?

Let Lysell and Merk play a few games with the A team. Let's see what they look like with Marchand, etc

Instead we get to see Patrick Brown and Vinny Lettieri..

It's just maddening.

Play the rooks with established players. We want to see what they look like.

Last edited:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Pre season games aren’t the only way to evaluate players.I also think it’s how a player busts his arse at camp. Compete level and hard work is noticed by all.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I simply can’t understand sending lysell and merkulov down already unless they weren’t in the plans to even begin with.

There is no way Brown should be up while those two are down.
Again they are cowards. God forbid they lose a couple of points and finish with 106 pts instead of 110 with "rookie" mistakes. Really makes spending the money on another defenseman foolish if they weren't going to give a skilled guy like Lysell a fair shot. Maybe they think they are going to stink and will need every point?

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I would imagine the top two lines will be as follows:
Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Johnson

Your 3rd and 4th lines and 13th forward will likely be:
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Beecher-Kastelic-Brazeau
Jones/Brown

Tyler Johnson can easily put up 40-50 pts playing with Marchand and Coyle and likely PP2.
Our 1st line is absolutely filthy and is going to have a big year. Calling Zacha to hit 30-35 goals.
Freddy/Poitras/Geekie will be a top 5 best 3rd lines in the NHL. 4th line can muck it up and should provide some offence.

I have zero problems with how the team is shaping up. I just hope Korpisalo can hold the fort down. Swayman needs to sign though, this is getting foolish.

Defensively, we are high end in the NHL. We should be in the running for the lowest GAA in the NHL.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Am I the only one who would like to see Brazeau with Coyle and Marchand? Am I also the only one who thinks Geekie is VERY overrated?
Geekie belongs in the bottom 6 . He can get hot for a little while but not someone you can count on offensively much like Frederic. I like both players but I like them on line 3 . Brazeau has better hands and hockey sense .

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Was Lysell some kind of all-star in the AHL? Not even a point a game. Heavy on assists when he's supposed to be a goal scorer. In 110 AHL games, 29 goals.

In the last two seasons, Tyler Johnson has scored 29 goals in 123 NHL games. He's also got a couple rings he earned playing every game in both of those playoffs.
He was better at the end than the beginning ~ his assists were mostly from seeing the ice and making plays

he improved

be interesting to see how this evolves over the next days and months

One thing is obvious they aren’t overflowing with young skilled wingers

what is important is what Sweeney if anything said to him

I am a Lysell, right or wrong I would not believe a word Monty said to me

I guess November 1 we will have data to discuss on this

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
So why don't power play goals count?
I don’t see him on power play ~ he’s a third liner at this point, so he won’t be getting those goals

I think it’s dumb keeping him and not putting Lysell with Marchand & Coyle but I 100% believe Monty & Marchand don’t

Clearly they orchestrated the Lysell situation to be where we are at

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don’t see him on power play ~ he’s a third liner at this point, so he won’t be getting those goals

I think it’s dumb keeping him and not putting Lysell with Marchand & Coyle but I 100% believe Monty & Marchand don’t

Clearly they orchestrated the Lysell situation to be where we are at

We know coaches prefer veterans who are more dependable, and Marchand supposedly doesn't care for playing with rookies. But sending Lysell down this quickly tells me Sweeney wasn't planning on keeping him on the team unless he was fabulous in pre-season.

Reactions: DKH

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
E
Again they are cowards. God forbid they lose a couple of points and finish with 106 pts instead of 110 with "rookie" mistakes. Really makes spending the money on another defenseman foolish if they weren't going to give a skilled guy like Lysell a fair shot. Maybe they think they are going to stink and will need every point?
Don't need to stink just regress enough to have a couple of teams nip at their heels in a wild card race. Sooner or later a couple of Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa or Philly will actually
start closing the gap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad