OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm not sure the offense they should run with Fields and the offense they are planning to run with Fields are aligned. I don't think they run the best playcalling for him, and we do desperately need a #2 WR. Austin is a great 4/ST/locker room guy, but he's not going to be it here at WR2.

That offensive line was without question being anchored by a 4 game rookie starter yesterday. Frazier may be the dude at C in the league...not just in Pittsburgh.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
If this team still had Big Ben, he'd be going on his radio show to throw Frazier under the bus for that play.

It's so nice to have an actually likeable guy as their QB. He's obviously not as talented as Ben but he's such an easier guy to root for.

Funny. Peyton Manning threw his Oline under the bus repeatedly and everyone laughs because he's on TV so much.

And I seem to remember Ben talking about his Oline at the SB podium immediately after 2008

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My thoughts:

-I'm not blaming Tomlin entirely for this loss, but he's got a finger in this pie. He continues to be a game day moron: Electing to punt vs a 60ish yard FG in a dome with 1 of the best kickers in the game. If his overriding philosophy is "if I miss, I don't want to put my defense in a bad spot", I can get down with that thought process. BUT...
- He then elects to go for it on 4th and short in his own territory when those plays haven't turned out well so far this year. This is with a history of a poor C/QB exchange issues
- Whoever is suggesting he challenges/don't challenges needs to be fired. Tomlin has the worst challenge record of all the coaches. That was clearly a catch
- Harris mimics his coach and is a dumb player. From jumping over the pile from the 3 yard line to not getting OOB late. Dude is just not a football player
-Rough day for Pickens. Drops a TD and fumbles at the GL. Woof
- Colts' defense was brutal and they couldn't do jack against them.
- Did Watt even play yesterday?
- The defense looks like they always do against an offense that actually attacks them, instead of ones that are satisfied getting into a shoving match.
This defense is every bit as predictable as the offense, but it has a few guys that are able to make plays at opportune times. When an offense is able to neutralize those guys, we get what we get today.
- BS penalty on Fitz. Elliott looks to be a great player and I'm still high on D Jackson
Something, something, something, living in our fears? I think that's how the saying goes.

I think the offense just generally lacks experience. They just looked like they were all playing out of position. Indy had one singular goal yesterday - stop TJ Watt. Let Fields, and anyone else kill them, but not TJ. I think this is our best secondary is a really long time and Elliot signing looks to me to be every great as the Ryan Clark signing back in the day. He is everywhere.

Reactions: td_ice

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The offense just lacks playmakers right now I think. Fields can make a big play happen. Pickens can make a big play happen. Austin can but like @JTG mentioned, he’s not a guy whose best spot is as a number 2. Harris isn’t that guy in this offense. Maybe a healthy Warren can be?

They need someone else that’s capable of being a big play threat consistently.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Can we at least put the "offense doesn't need to score points" argument to bed now? The defense is solid, maybe even 'good', no more. Even if they are able to ride them to the playoffs again, they aren't going to hold the Bills or Chiefs under 20 points. I'd say the Ravens, too, but Harbaugh seems just as willing to try to win 13-10 when he plays the Steelers for some reason.

It was an encouraging game from Fields. The fumble was bad and cost them a shot at a FG, but for the most part he played well. I don't think it was the Colts playing soft because they had a lead either. They were successfully taking shots down the field which is what the Colts would have been trying to stop. Just need Mikey to realize that's what they should be doing all the time, not just because they were down 17 points.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Steelers defense is overrated. This year they beat up on a rusty Cousins coming back from an Achilles injury, rookie Bo Nix, and then the chargers game was sealed when Herbert left. Even yesterday the game started to slow down a bit when Richardson left. It's a decent enough defense but they can't run the offense so conservatively.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Benton got "Hey Rookie'd" yesterday with Q. He held up well but Q is just a different animal.

I am so tired of watching Najee Harris plod around missing holes. He needs to be replaced. I think any of the practice squad RBs would give us more.
I think he's as good as gone. Dude isn't good at football.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think the offense just generally lacks experience.

The offense just lacks playmakers right now I think.
These two things, but the issue they point out is the not coaching to the details. Because the offense is inexperienced and lacks playmakers, they really can't afford the kinds of things that happen when you're not coached on the details.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The Steelers defense is overrated. This year they beat up on a rusty Cousins coming back from an Achilles injury, rookie Bo Nix, and then the chargers game was sealed when Herbert left. Even yesterday the game started to slow down a bit when Richardson left. It's a decent enough defense but they can't run the offense so conservatively.

They had a shitty game but this is still going to be a very good defense. Not historic or anything but I would bet money on it finishing as a top 5 defense by years end.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Can we at least put the "offense doesn't need to score points" argument to bed now? The defense is solid, maybe even 'good', no more. Even if they are able to ride them to the playoffs again, they aren't going to hold the Bills or Chiefs under 20 points. I'd say the Ravens, too, but Harbaugh seems just as willing to try to win 13-10 when he plays the Steelers for some reason.

It was an encouraging game from Fields. The fumble was bad and cost them a shot at a FG, but for the most part he played well. I don't think it was the Colts playing soft because they had a lead either. They were successfully taking shots down the field which is what the Colts would have been trying to stop. Just need Mikey to realize that's what they should be doing all the time, not just because they were down 17 points.

We had people saying just before the game the Steelers should ground and pound the Colts. Well the Colts knew that was going to happen and stacked the box. In typical Steelers fashion, they ran right into 8/9 man fronts to the tune of 3 points at half.

This is why I keep pounding the table about trying new things to see what happens and to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. This offense doesn't have the personnel to grind teams down bc the Oline isn't there yet.

But Tomlin is gonna "do what we do". I"m tired of this shit after 18 seasons.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Damn that absolutely sucks for us and him. He was going to get an absolute bag in free agency.

This team is getting decimated by OL injuries. Fautanu, Herbig, and Daniel’s all out for the year and Seumalo out for a quarter of the season.
Yeah, this OL is awful…despite Fields having a hand in this loss with the botched snap and fumble and sacks (things he’s known for lol), I think they have to roll with him from now on because of the young OL and his running ability…

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Daniels seemed like he might be gone after this year.

So I guess silver lining is they will know if McCormick is a long term answer after this season?

Jeez. That is tough. He was probably the best OL. ( can’t say Frazier bc of snap issues)

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
We had people saying just before the game the Steelers should ground and pound the Colts. Well the Colts knew that was going to happen and stacked the box. In typical Steelers fashion, they ran right into 8/9 man fronts to the tune of 3 points at half.

This is why I keep pounding the table about trying new things to see what happens and to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. This offense doesn't have the personnel to grind teams down bc the Oline isn't there yet.

But Tomlin is gonna "do what we do". I"m tired of this shit after 18 seasons.
Tomlin 101 : Scheme? What's a scheme? Just hope your athletes are superior to theirs.

But seriously, it was a flawed premise to begin with. Colts had given up the second most rushing yards, but in terms of Y/C, they were middle of the pack. Considering the Steelers haven't shown the ability to force it down anybody's throats outside of a game or 2 in the last 3-4-5 years, there should have been no reason to expect they could do it to the Colts.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Daniels seemed like he might be gone after this year.

So I guess silver lining is they will know if McCormick is a long term answer after this season?

Jeez. That is tough. He was probably the best OL. ( can’t say Frazier bc of snap issues)

Daniels has been grading out as a top 10 lineman this season. He was going to get a fortune in free agency. This line looked shaky without him, and that 3rd round comp pick we were probably getting in 2026 is gone.

This has been the best football I've seen Daniels play in his NFL career these last few games.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Daniels has been grading out as a top 10 lineman this season. He was going to get a fortune in free agency. This line looked shaky without him, and that 3rd round comp pick we were probably getting in 2026 is gone.

This has been the best football I've seen Daniels play in his NFL career these last few games.
Yeah I thought he’d been excellent this season.

I watched game at a bar so really wasn’t best performance for me to analyze but thought in the 4th Q until the bad snap the offense moved the ball better than it ever had since like the Killer Bs lol. Obv 1st half was a different story.

I’ve been harsh on Fields but IMO there was some really encouraging things to take from the end of that game; even though it was winnable.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The Steelers really seem to have a unique situation where injuries get clustered - last year it was the LB's and S's. This year it's the OL. They should be ok with Seomalu back at the starting levels (other than Jones, who seems to be a bust), but they have no depth left at all.

Yeah, this OL is awful…despite Fields having a hand in this loss with the botched snap and fumble and sacks (things he’s known for lol), I think they have to roll with him from now on because of the young OL and his running ability…
Actually Karen I think they'll roll with Fields because he's playing well, as much as it annoys you.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Steelers really seem to have a unique situation where injuries get clustered - last year it was the LB's and S's. This year it's the OL. They should be ok with Seomalu back at the starting levels (other than Jones, who seems to be a bust), but they have no depth left at all.

Actually Karen I think they'll roll with Fields because he's playing well, as much as it annoys you.

Name calling is for children. Feel free to put me on ignore any time since my posts obviously trigger you lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad