Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This, like, isn't at all the case. Lysell is sort of like a poor man's Taylor Hall, when Hall was younger. Everyone thought Hall was supposed to be some mad goal scoring reincarnation of Pavel Bure, when he was more just a guy who could transition through the neutral zone in a blink and play off the half wall, mostly passing but also driving at tight angles to cause mayhem.

Thinking about it, I love that comparison. Lysell goes through the NZ like his hair's on fire and plays off the wall basically in isolation. He needs to work on two things - pulling up after making the offensive zone instead of bulling into some monster D looking to kill him, and continuing to refine his passing. He's made a lot of improvement to his passing but you'll still see him occasionally pass to an invisible teammate, which he did endlessly in his one SHL season.

Lysell's shot has improved by leaps and bounds by the year, but he's never going to be a top goal scorer. And no one ever really pegged him to be one, as far as I know.

So he's not a goal scorer and his passing needs work.

But he's a creative offensive player.

OK

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
In Geekie's defense, he was 4th line on Seattle. I think he was a great value signing and agree 2nd line is not where i'd like to see him. But he's been very solid for us imo

I agree. He's been a good signing, good effort, good teammate, good production vs cost. But I also don't like him on the 2nd line. Ideally that 3rd line is Frederic-Poitras-Geekie by the end of the year.

Reactions: Alan Ryan and BTO

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
It’s not though. More than half of Johnson’s goals were on the PP.
I don't think that's true.

Johnson scored 29 goals the last two years, 12 were on the PP.
Lysell scored 29 goals the last two years, 9 were on the PP.

Bonvie was talking about 2 years but even if you are just looking at last year Johnson scored 9 of his 17 goals at ES.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
So he's not a goal scorer and his passing needs work.

But he's a creative offensive player.

OK
Yes, he's a creative offensive player. He was a creative offensive player at age 17, playing against men in the SHL on super limited ice time. It wasn't his passes and it wasn't his shot. It was because he can rapidly get to places on the ice where something good could happen. In the SHL, he'd get possession at the throat of the slot, then invariably duff a pass to no one or shoot it 5 feet over the net. The way he fouled up on the easy parts were vexing, but he's gotten better every year. I'm not going to look, but it's probably not a statistically linear progression. He's improved the stuff that would leave an observer shaking their head while retaining the skating, handles and good instincts.

Also, you should move the goalposts back where you found them.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Lysell didn't score last night, but I thought he did pretty well defensively. I think he at least deserved some time with some veterans like he did last preseason. He is not waiver-eligible so he's the odd-man out. Bruins probably want to see more of Jones, Johnson, Brazeau, and Tufte, and there aren't a lot of games left to see how Lysell does when some of these guys have missed games.

I think Lysell lights it up in Providence and gets called up early in the season.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Lysell hasn't impressed me, but refusing to give him a game with an NHL centre is baffling. Are there preseason games really that precious? That's what bothers me.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
We get to see now if Lysell is a quitter or will he work even harder. Said it before and sticking with it, opening night roster and season end roster are not necessarily the same thing. They can still earn spots if they have the right attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad