Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, even with Johnson it gets pretty slim after 18 or 19.
  1. Pasta
  2. Marchand
  3. Lindholm
  4. Coyle
  5. Zacha
  6. Poitras
  7. Frederic
  8. Geekie
  9. Brazeau
  10. Jones
  11. Kastelic
  12. Beecher
  13. Johnson
  14. Tufte
  15. Lysell
  16. Merkulov
  17. Duran
  18. Brown
  19. Lettieri
  20. Kuntar
  21. Koepke
  22. McLaughlin, Nelson,

McLaughlin played more than servicable hockey at the NHL level 2 years ago. If he is the 22/23 best player you have, then you are in good shape.

Also when we talk about using 22 players .
in 2023 they added 2 forwards at the deadlne, and in 2024 1 player at the deadline.

In 23/24 5 guys (including Maroon) played a total of 12 games combined. They could have pretty easily gone through the year with 18/19 if they wanted> They didn't really need to give McLaughlin and Megna a game.

In 22/23 3 players played 1 game, and steen played 3, so they really used 16 forwards during the season, plus the 2 they acquired at the deadline

Reactions: PlayMakers

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I guess my thing is what development does Lysell have left in the AHL? We already know for a fact he can generate and produce at that level, is another couple months gonna suddenly turn him into a great defender? The next step for him is to find out if he can produce at the NHL level, and that only happens in the NHL.

He's been our top prospect for years now, he's paid his dues in the minors, and we have gaping hole at 2RW that just so happens to be his natural position. f*** playing the waiver game, the time is now. The team NEEDS players that can generate offense that aren't named Marchand and Pasta.
He obviously needs to earn it, but assuming he plays at the level he should, I could not agree more.

I'm not completely averse to trying Lysell on a line with Poitras and Frederic. The burden on Lysell is to show he can take care of the puck. If he cannot do that on the third line, then he does not belong on any line. We have size all throughout the team. I don't believe in a hard and fast rule that a third line per se needs to be a checking line or big and strong. They can just be three good players.
Sure but when we are on the road our opponent would throw his first line over the boards for every single faceoff against this third line and that could be a major problem.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I get what you’re saying about the up and down thing. Why is the job handed to Johnson and Lysell has to take it from him? We have a great prospect but he has to win the job away from a player who wasn’t offered a contract by any team in the league?
I'm not saying he has to take it from Johnson just that Johnson has a body of NHL work and if they see he still has something in the tank he's more of a sure thing known commodity. He does a lot of things right.
Lysell had a bad game and a better game but he still needs to show consistency. If he does he can win the job, but it also doesn't hurt if you send him up and down. Better he plays down there than sits in the press box as the 13rth man.
It's all up to him. If Lysell is better than Johnson by all means give him the job.

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like Geekie is second line RW going by Marchand comments

Geekie in a good spot​

Geekie, who set career highs with 17 goals and 22 assists last season, is enjoying his training-camp run as a top-six forward. The competition to ride with Coyle and Marchand is a heated one, and the 26-year-old is trying to maximize his reps.

“I’m not taking it for granted, for sure,” said Geekie. “I think it’s fun, it’s good competition and everybody’s working for a spot, but I’m just trying to come in every day and work and work and get a little bit better and whoever that’s going to be with, that’s not my decision. I’m just here to play and do the best I can.”

Geekie turned his game up a notch late in the season and carried it over into the playoffs, showing his physicality while being sound in all three zones.

Morgan Geekie is coming off a solid 2023-24 season.

Morgan Geekie is coming off a solid 2023-24 season.MATTHEW J. LEE/GLOBE STAFF

He credited the coaching staff with giving him the opportunities and confidence to thrive.

“I can’t thank them enough; they helped me along in learning a new system and getting accustomed to everything,” he said. “It’s fun to take that into the summer and know where you can play, and I think I’ve got a lot more to offer than what I showed even, so it’s fun to keep growing as a player and just try to get better every day.”

Marchand is bullish on the prospect of working more with Geekie, who supports pucks well and uses his size and strength to create space for himself and his linemates.

“I love playing with Geeks,” said Marchand. “He’s so great in so many different areas, the way he can hold on to pucks and make plays and shoots and he’s great in the corners.

“I think he really complements our line well. We haven’t had a ton of reps together, so we’ll work on it. But I’ve always really liked his game after playing with him last year a bit. I really enjoyed that. I’m sure there’ll be big steps for him this year.”

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
I’m personally not a big fan of Geekie and don’t see him as a big factor. I would be ok with Marchand, Coyle and Brazeau. Geekie to me is very overrated and often times unnoticeable.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
McLaughlin played more than servicable hockey at the NHL level 2 years ago. If he is the 22/23 best player you have, then you are in good shape.

Also when we talk about using 22 players .
in 2023 they added 2 forwards at the deadlne, and in 2024 1 player at the deadline.

In 23/24 5 guys (including Maroon) played a total of 12 games combined. They could have pretty easily gone through the year with 18/19 if they wanted> They didn't really need to give McLaughlin and Megna a game.

In 22/23 3 players played 1 game, and steen played 3, so they really used 16 forwards during the season, plus the 2 they acquired at the deadline
By all rights McLaughlin deserved to start the season on the team that set a record for wins and points. He has never played poorly in the 14 games he has played with 4 goals and never a gong show.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Looks like Geekie is second line RW going by Marchand comments

Geekie in a good spot​

Geekie, who set career highs with 17 goals and 22 assists last season, is enjoying his training-camp run as a top-six forward. The competition to ride with Coyle and Marchand is a heated one, and the 26-year-old is trying to maximize his reps.

“I’m not taking it for granted, for sure,” said Geekie. “I think it’s fun, it’s good competition and everybody’s working for a spot, but I’m just trying to come in every day and work and work and get a little bit better and whoever that’s going to be with, that’s not my decision. I’m just here to play and do the best I can.”

Geekie turned his game up a notch late in the season and carried it over into the playoffs, showing his physicality while being sound in all three zones.

Morgan Geekie is coming off a solid 2023-24 season.

Morgan Geekie is coming off a solid 2023-24 season.MATTHEW J. LEE/GLOBE STAFF

He credited the coaching staff with giving him the opportunities and confidence to thrive.

“I can’t thank them enough; they helped me along in learning a new system and getting accustomed to everything,” he said. “It’s fun to take that into the summer and know where you can play, and I think I’ve got a lot more to offer than what I showed even, so it’s fun to keep growing as a player and just try to get better every day.”

Marchand is bullish on the prospect of working more with Geekie, who supports pucks well and uses his size and strength to create space for himself and his linemates.

“I love playing with Geeks,” said Marchand. “He’s so great in so many different areas, the way he can hold on to pucks and make plays and shoots and he’s great in the corners.

“I think he really complements our line well. We haven’t had a ton of reps together, so we’ll work on it. But I’ve always really liked his game after playing with him last year a bit. I really enjoyed that. I’m sure there’ll be big steps for him this year.”
Marchand - Coyle - Geekie as the second line should be very good this season.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’m personally not a big fan of Geekie and don’t see him as a big factor. I would be ok with Marchand, Coyle and Brazeau. Geekie to me is very overrated and often times unnoticeable.
Gotta disagree - he came on strong and threw some of the heaviest hits in the Florida series I didn’t know he had in him

Braz would work for me so if it ends up your line I’m all in

Interesting Marchand lobbying for Geekie and Lysell gets day off and able to play with Marchand & Coyle today

All 3 seem to be in the hunt for those 2-4 lines

Jones has been hurt so will be interesting

I like Frederic with Poitras & Geekie; Lysell with Marchand & Coyle

Beecher - Kastelic- Brazeau

They all go to the net

Braz needs to add some physicality

He looks leaner will be interesting to see if he’s still an immovable object down low - guy was like a tugboat infront of net last year but looks like he sent his width to Poitras

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
And what would you pay Frederic? 3 a year for 5 years. To me he should be a priority signing this off season. Comparables for him] with points/pims are Dakota Joshua, Tom Wilson, Adam Lowry, Marcus Foligno.

5/25 is a bargain for a physical player who can score, fight, hit and is a very good defensively. Sorry if you don't like him.

I would start him at second line RW.
He's a fine player against equitable competition. I like him too, but I think a lot of teams around the league overvalue what he does in the exact way you overvalue it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad